Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my new cheap rifle

Default my new cheap rifle

Having sold my Mini-14, I started looking for an "economical" .223 bolt gun. I looked at the Savage Axis, the Ruger American, and the basic model Rem 700 ADL, which has a good trigger, but a higher price tag and, again, a POS scope mounted. Honestly, I didn't care for the feel of these. So, I went online to a website I've used a lot in the past and found a Stevens 200, gray synthetic stock, standard barrel, including scope bases. I bid on and won it. Even with shipping it was very close to one of the deals I had rejected. I received the gun from my FFL holder yesterday. It is like new. I realized that it is the old 110 Savage, with a blind magazine.
    I had heard that the triggers on these models were pretty bad, but on this gun, except for being a hard (read heavy) let-off, there is very little movement, virtually no overtravel, so after looking at the trigger, I will probably work with the spring to lessen the tension.
    Because I want to keep things economical, I opted for a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9 X 40 scope. I have used Trophy model scopes in the past with satisfaction, so I don't expect anything different with this one. Excellent optics for the money. The stock is a pretty typical basic synthetic, but there is a lot of cross-rib reinforcement. I will use some judicious glasbedding to keep things more stable.
    As time goes on, I'll report back on what kind of loads and groupings I come up with, if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Having sold my Mini-14, I started looking for an "economical" .223 bolt gun. I looked at the Savage Axis, the Ruger American, and the basic model Rem 700 ADL, which has a good trigger, but a higher price tag and, again, a POS scope mounted. Honestly, I didn't care for the feel of these. So, I went online to a website I've used a lot in the past and found a Stevens 200, gray synthetic stock, standard barrel, including scope bases. I bid on and won it. Even with shipping it was very close to one of the deals I had rejected. I received the gun from my FFL holder yesterday. It is like new. I realized that it is the old 110 Savage, with a blind magazine.
    I had heard that the triggers on these models were pretty bad, but on this gun, except for being a hard (read heavy) let-off, there is very little movement, virtually no overtravel, so after looking at the trigger, I will probably work with the spring to lessen the tension.
    Because I want to keep things economical, I opted for a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9 X 40 scope. I have used Trophy model scopes in the past with satisfaction, so I don't expect anything different with this one. Excellent optics for the money. The stock is a pretty typical basic synthetic, but there is a lot of cross-rib reinforcement. I will use some judicious glasbedding to keep things more stable.
    As time goes on, I'll report back on what kind of loads and groupings I come up with, if anyone is interested.
    The Timney trigger for those is only $100 and super easy to install. I changed the trigger for my Stevens 200 build myself (I built a long action 200 into my 416 Taylor). It makes an absolute world of difference as the trigger for that rifle is a serious piece of junk and the Timney model is excellent.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Because I want to keep things economical, I opted for a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9 X 40 scope. I have used Trophy model scopes in the past with satisfaction, so I don't expect anything different with this one. Excellent optics for the money.
    I put a Trophy on my AR last fall for predator hunting and it did just fine all winter. By spring it had an O-ring loose that I could see in the scope but it still worked great. I sent it back to Bushnell a month or so ago and they are sending me a new scope via the lifetime warranty. I was pretty happy for $100! Managed a lynx and coyote to boot!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

mauserboy:

Well why didn't you get a mauser??? Just kiddin.

You are a wise shopper. Basic gun with a blind magzine. No problem there. I've considered one of those myself. Not in 223 though.

I have one rifle that has a hard trigger, can't change it, but it's crisp, and I can shoot it well. No problem there.

I have 2 Bushnell Trophies. A 3x9 and a 4x12. Never a hic-up with either one.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

While I am not a Savage fan, the wife has a 116 in 338WM that is one of the best shooting rifles we have. They may be cheap, but the dog gone things can shoot straight!
    Good luck and have fun shooting!

You did good. DOn't know why the triggers have a bad reputation. I own a 110 as my NRA High Power gun. I had the original trigger worked by a gunsmith. Very crisp breaking, super light pull with no creep, etc. (It did cost me the use of the safety.) The springs in those magazines are pretty strong. I had some wood taken out of the bottom of the stock, under the magazine, and some plastic taken off the bottom of the follower; it fits and feeds 5 rounds now with no problem. Glass bedded the action and it shoots factory loads in 1/2" groups and hand loads in ragged holes. Given that almost every other gun maker is in the process of selling out and off shoring production, I think Savage is the next "Rifleman's Rifle."

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    ... I think Savage is the next "Rifleman's Rifle."
    ...umm, no.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ...umm, no.
    Well I didn't mean to suggest that they rival the quality and craftsmanship of a pre 64 Winchester. Most folks here know by know what a fanatic I am about those pre-64 guns. No one will ever match that, not even the pseudo, French-owned Winchester that is cloning them in Europe. I think what I meant by that remark was something more like, the next great American made bolt action rifle.

i had a stevens .243 that thing was guaranteed to never hit the same area twice...and that was if you even had time to fire it. most of the day was spent trying to find the bolt that was always falling out biggest POS i have ever seen but boy did it kill a lot of deer.

I think Savage is the next "Rifleman's Rifle."
    I think your spot on for current production rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I put a Trophy on my AR last fall for predator hunting and it did just fine all winter. By spring it had an O-ring loose that I could see in the scope but it still worked great. I sent it back to Bushnell a month or so ago and they are sending me a new scope via the lifetime warranty. I was pretty happy for $100! Managed a lynx and coyote to boot!
    FYI - While I was out hunting last week my Bushnell repair came in, in the form of a brand new scope, works for me!

I think your spot on for current production rifles.
    Thanks. Yeah, it pains me to no longer buy/use Winchester products, other than my pre-64's, but I guess I should be thankful I have Savage to fall back on. The fact that they're affordable is a bonus.

My wife bought me a .223 Savage Axis 2 years ago. I love that little gun. Its a tack driver. For under 300 it came with a simons scope, I really can't complain about the scope. I may replace it with a Leupold someday but for now it does the trick.

Thanks. Yeah, it pains me to no longer buy/use Winchester products, other than my pre-64's, but I guess I should be thankful I have Savage to fall back on. The fact that they're affordable is a bonus.
    The latest issue of the NRA Rifleman magazine has an article about Henry Rifles picking up some slack in true American made rifles, and another article on a Charter Arms .22 mag revolver. I'm quite interested in offerings from both companies, its nice to know they are still truly American made.

The latest issue of the NRA Rifleman magazine has an article about Henry Rifles picking up some slack in true American made rifles, and another article on a Charter Arms .22 mag revolver. I'm quite interested in offerings from both companies, its nice to know they are still truly American made.
    Hmmm. My aunt used to carry a Charter Arms Bull Pup in 44Spl. Not what I would call craftsmanship to be proud of, but this was made in the 70's. Perhaps they are cleaning up their image a bit. I haven't yet owned a Henry product. For a while I went back n forth on buying a Survival rifle but decided against it. The last 2-3 years I've been considering their Youth bolt gun for my son. Heard good things about them, though. Yeah, it's getting so that, if you want a quality made, American made gun, you have to go back many years. For handguns, Ruger is the only option.

Hmmm. My aunt used to carry a Charter Arms Bull Pup in 44Spl. Not what I would call craftsmanship to be proud of, but this was made in the 70's. Perhaps they are cleaning up their image a bit. I haven't yet owned a Henry product. For a while I went back n forth on buying a Survival rifle but decided against it. The last 2-3 years I've been considering their Youth bolt gun for my son. Heard good things about them, though. Yeah, it's getting so that, if you want a quality made, American made gun, you have to go back many years. For handguns, Ruger is the only option.
    I have several Taurus handguns that I really like and although made in Brazil they are expanding in to the states. I only own 1 non-Taurus handgun at the moment and its a Ruger, which has been fantastic from day one. Ruger will continue to get my handgun buisness, an SR22 is next on my list. I'm intrigued by the Henry 45/70 offering that was highlighted in the magazine however I'm not sure I want to add another rifle caliber to the mix at the moment, time will tell if I can resist...

I have several Taurus handguns that I really like and although made in Brazil they are expanding in to the states. I only own 1 non-Taurus handgun at the moment and its a Ruger, which has been fantastic from day one. Ruger will continue to get my handgun buisness, an SR22 is next on my list. I'm intrigued by the Henry 45/70 offering that was highlighted in the magazine however I'm not sure I want to add another rifle caliber to the mix at the moment, time will tell if I can resist...
    This comes up a lot I think. I used to really like Taurus guns too. I had an auto loader that was flawless, but many friends have had revolvers that failed on them early on and, these days, their customer service is crap, so I'm avoiding them now. I'm not a handgun person, but, if I ever buy another, it will either be an antique or a Ruger. Too bad they're SOOO expensive, but, often times, you get what you pay for.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Yeah, it's getting so that, if you want a quality made, American made gun, you have to go back many years. For handguns, Ruger is the only option.
    I thought that S&Ws were made in the US.

And their quality is probably better than Ruger, depending on one's focus.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I thought that S&Ws were made in the US.

And their quality is probably better than Ruger, depending on one's focus.

SOTN
    They are, but, if we're talking new production guns, I would have to disagree with your assessment of their quality comparative to Ruger.

The nomenclature "rifleman's rifle" is relative to the era when the Winchester Model 70 had a lot of stiff competition from a variety of other very fine US made bolt action rifles. The arena has narrowed down considerably for US manufacturers, even though Savage/Stevens hangs in there, Ruger is developing some great and economical rifles and Remington seems to have a good one too in the 783. Mossberg is no slouch when it comes to innovative and economical rifles also, such as their MVP and 4x4 models. Marlin has a great rifle in their X7 series. None of these, however, equals the quality of the M70 of yore, and I don't just mean pre-64. I believe that era is over forever. Today you can have an inexpensive "riflemans rifle" with one of the above, I suppose, if you really like that name, but they are all pretty much just economical, trustworthy rifles. Personally I'm glad we have them or a lot of folks could not afford to shoot and hunt, but I do, however, miss the era of fine AND economical rifles. For clarification's sake, I am not talking about any high-end rifles when I say all that.
    It will be interesting to see what happens now that Savage has been bought out. You never can tell what happens to quality with new owners take over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast