Thread: Finished Product 30-06 XL7 and Leupold FX-3 6x42mm Wide Duplex

Default Finished Product 30-06 XL7 and Leupold FX-3 6x42mm Wide Duplex

Well, finally finished setting up my 30-06 Marlin XL7 and Leupold FX-3 6x42mm Wide Duplex for hunting this year.

I am through with three loads for my 30-06 with two being specific and one being an over all round. Looks good, accuracy is good, handles good and it is ready for the field. It has been a 9 month trip getting this rifle setup and me satisfied with the results. It has been fun!

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Looks nice, good set up, good cartridge, nice pics.

I'm lacking in the posting technology department. How is it that you post several full size pics on one post?

Whatever I've been doing it only allows me to post two at a time and they are thumb nails.

I use photobucket
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That is indeed a beautiful rifle. What was the overall cost by the time you finally got it to where you felt satisfied with it?

Including the mounts, rings and scope along with the Boyd's laminated stock $833.00 and here is how it shoots the three loads I will use this year.

150gr GS HV

180gr Partition

180gr BT
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Sweeeeeet! Lovin' it... I think it is outshooting some rifles that cost twice as much or more.
    Another question: overall weight?

Total weight unloaded 8.45 pounds and center of gravity is exactly under the middle of the receiver. Very easy to carry and driving a 180gr Partition out of a 22" barrel at 2761fps, 150gr HV at 3086fps and BT at 2734fps for accuracy load.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Well I decided to check out the rifles consistency so went to the range this morning and verified two of my existing loads and one new one and I have achieved consistency with a variety of powders, bullets and brass. I did get it right with this rifle.

GS - HV and the deviation was 7, 3086fps

180gr Combined Technology BT (increased charge now moving 2772fps)

165gr HPBT 2874fps
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

beartooth,
    Does yours shoot best a little dirty? I got my son a new XL7 in .270 a while back. Sighting in session wasn't bad, got on target with some 7/8" to 1 1/4" groups. We cleaned it real good for the first time that night. Next time we shot he couldn't better about a 3" group. Shot the third time, without any cleaning, working through a bunch of handloads I had put together. Started out at about 3-4" groups and after about 12 everything came back together at about 1MOA again. It maintained that accuracy throughout the rest of the loads we tried. The only thing I could think of was that really good cleaning we gave it after the first time shooting. I've heard of fouling shots, but this would have been more like 25-30 fouling shots until all the groups came back together. I think it likes to be a bit dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    beartooth,
    Does yours shoot best a little dirty? I got my son a new XL7 in .270 a while back. Sighting in session wasn't bad, got on target with some 7/8" to 1 1/4" groups. We cleaned it real good for the first time that night. Next time we shot he couldn't better about a 3" group. Shot the third time, without any cleaning, working through a bunch of handloads I had put together. Started out at about 3-4" groups and after about 12 everything came back together at about 1MOA again. It maintained that accuracy throughout the rest of the loads we tried. The only thing I could think of was that really good cleaning we gave it after the first time shooting. I've heard of fouling shots, but this would have been more like 25-30 fouling shots until all the groups came back together. I think it likes to be a bit dirty.
    Yes, mine likes it dirty but it only takes five maybe six shots. Also, I only work with one powder even if I am changing bullets if I want tight groups. When you change loads and your powder type changes you will have to either wipe the barrel or it will take a few shots to sometimes come back in as the different powder fouls the bore differently. This effects some rifles more than others. That is why once I have my load and it is the one I am going to hunt with, I sight it in firing two five shot groups and then leave my barrel dirty for my hunting season unless extreme conditions warrant I clean my bore again.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Gracias,
    That makes sense. The day it all came back together we were shooting IMR 4350, R15, R17 and Varget. The 140gr Accubond seemed to be the champ for the day, but the 130gr AB and Ballistic Tips shot well also.