Thread: Duck Flavored Dog Treats

Default Duck Flavored Dog Treats

Hey you guys. We just got the dog some duck jerky dog treats. This strikes me as a bad idea. Won't this just teach the dog that anything duck flavored is food?

Should I use these as treats, or save them as perhaps a training aid? (Tape to deadfowl trainer or bumper.)

Or am I overthinking?

IMO, you're overthinking. I personally think that duck jerky (and the Blue Buffalo brand Duck dog food) are amongst the best uses for duck meat. To the dog it's just a treat and it would take an extremely rare dog to link the falling feathered bird in the field to that little dried piece of jerky in the kitchen.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Over thinking in my opinion.
    I don't use "dog treats" as a rule. To many recalls and other problems. I do use the same kibble I feed, for treats. Small, dry, hard, wears well in my back left hip pocket when I am working pups. Will say it does not go through the washing machine well. Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Hey you guys. We just got the dog some duck jerky dog treats. This strikes me as a bad idea. Won't this just teach the dog that anything duck flavored is food?

Should I use these as treats, or save them as perhaps a training aid? (Tape to deadfowl trainer or bumper.)

Or am I overthinking?
    I agree with you, would not use duck flavored treats to feed a duck hunting dog. Just teaches him that if it smells like a duck it is ok to eat. Bud
    Wasilla