Thread: Kodiak; hit the beaches...

Default Kodiak; hit the beaches...

Silvers are starting to show on the shores and the locals are beginning to line them in.

Peek into the rivers and creeks on the road system and you will see that they are starting to meander in. Pinks are thick, starting to mush out, and are about to go belly up. Chums are wild with color. Reds have had it. Dollies are fat quarry.

I have 30 more days left on the island and then I bail. The lease will be ended, the art collection sold, and then onboard a slow boat to China out of Whittier with a new woman and a new life.

China fishing will suck. China fish-eating will suck. Forget it and eat vegetables and noodles.

Kodiak?

I'm no fool. I'm packing the waders and the rods and storing them for mid-summer returns thereafter. The island always beckons, and like MacArthur, "I will return..."

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Best of luck to you, thanks for all your great posts and contributions.

Bernard,
    My brother & I will be on the island in 2 weeks - the 16th - & we'd love to meet you. Your book & posts have turned us on to Kodiak after fishing the Kenai & Ketchikan. We love that island. Anyway, I know you'll be busy packing - but we'd love to go out fishing with you. What do you think?
    Olsby

A public invitation and a public answer; I must decline. Simply too busy with my final wrap up off-island.

This is a fishing thread. The silvers are in great abundance. From the shores of Mill Bay to the great holes on the Olds, anglers are doing very well.
    I've always touted that the silver fishery in Kodiak was one of the greatest in the state and I'm witnessing it right now.

I took my final trip into the salts yesterday. Though I've had better catches, what I landed in memory far exceeded what went in the fish box. Kodiak is that kind of great place and I am pleased you and your brother are going for it. Weather is always a risk, but if you thread that needle, the fish are yours.

My freezers are so full I am beyond conventional fish check. I would be history had I not registered myself as a known shipper with Alaskan Airlines. The sport fishing season I participated in this year was the most prolific ever; kings / reds / pinks off the wall / dollies thicker than your arms, and now silvers up to twenty pounds.

I simply have to stop fishing. My last hurrah is to pick up 13 fillets that have been stripped and have been cold-smoke curing for the last 20 days by an emerging B&B owner. ( and that processing was traded for Ahi tuna steak I carved off the 150 pounder I took down in Honolulu this July ) That squaw candy will make it all the way to China and will be given away as gifts; something I am certain has never even been tasted in the East.

It's just about over, Olsby. The only thing left is to slip on a tux, buy a dozen roses and a bottle of Dom, and get married outside of Kodiak's harbor on my best friend's boat the first clear weather day of this September.

Thanks for the compliments...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL / Zhengzhou, CN
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"