Thread: Skull Cleaning with Beetles

Default Skull Cleaning with Beetles

I am looking for the fella who has the beetles in or near Anchorage for skull cleaning. Anyone know how to get ahold of him? My number is 632-4999 if he happens to read this.

Default insect clean skulls

Comes up every year. If you haven't already may want to see if archives will produce contact info...could also check with some of the local taxidermists.

Ken Hansen (486-2007) in Kodiak does it. He also has kits for sale so you can do it yourself. He has a website, but I don't remember what it is. Good guy.

Default Dermestid Beetles In Anchorage

AK-HUNT-

I posted on this a while back; here's a repost:

This came up a while back and I posted on a friend of mine who has Dermestid Beetles here in Anchorage. His name is Jed Crabb. Here's a re-post of my comments of 7/23 this year:

"Be careful about boiling; if you overdo it, you could soften the skull itself. This is especially true of the thinner areas around the nose.

An excellent alternative is the use of Dermestid Beetles. They eat flesh and will have your skull cleaned out pretty quickly, including the brain area that is so hard to deal with. The brain has a thin layer of fascia between the skull and the organ itself that can be difficult to remove.

There are several folks around who can clean it up with beetles for you. If you're near Anchorage, you might give Jed Crabb a shout. He's been doing this a while.

I would be extremely leery of burying it in the ground; that's where things rot. There are tannins there from leaves, and all sorts of other things that will discolor the skull permanently.

Several treatments for whitening the skull have already been listed, so I'll not comment there, except to say that some animals that have a higer level of body fat (bears, for example) may discolor in the thicker parts of the skull. I have a grizzly skull from a bear I shot in the high Arctic about 15 years ago, and the back part of the skull near the Atlas vertebrae is all brownish. The rest of the skull is white."

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I was the one that gave you a call here yesterday so whatever your buddy decides either give me a call or send me a message here...

have a good one
    Todd
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default Skull Cleaning

I believe Robert Nelson (373-5819 Wasilla) still offers that service.

Default Thanks, got it.

Thanks for all the replies. Got it worked out. Todd, thanks and I'll talk to you later.

Default Another Way!!!

You can take your skull and bag it in a mesh bag. Drop it in the water at PWS. The sea fleas will strip it in no time and it is free. The bag will keep the teeth that fall out. 24 to 48 hours tops. I know it is hard to let that skull out of your hands, but this method really works well.

Steve

That's a great idea....you could also put it into a shrimp pot and use it for bait while the sand fleas do their thing.

ak-hunt,

Member akpredator did the skull on mine and it came out awesome. If I get my spring black bear, I'll be giving him a call again!

Thanks matt , I got my spring blackie skull in the tank right now. good luck on yours bro

Later
    Todd
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default PWS fleas

Yes it works very well, put my buddys spring in the shrimp pot and WOW, so when I put my fall bear I expected the same result. Instead some one stole the pot.