Thread: Pot Robbers

Default Pot Robbers

Mentioned this in another thread and figured I better move it over here before a mod rightfully did. Took the last tunnel to Whittier Wed. evening and it was 0-dark-thirty when I got to Pigot Bay. I cruised the area for awhile locating buoys so I wouldn't set on top of someone else's gear. I had my gear set a little before 1 am. I anchor up mid bay very close to the head of the bay as its usually calm and the bugs aren't too bad. I hit the sack but my back was killing me at about 4 am so I decide to get up and try to stretch it out. About that time, a boat comes around the point at the entrance to the bay and turns on the spotlight. He goes from area to area where I know there are pots set. I figure he's pulling everyone's gear. It's pitch black out so I'm not going to attempt a confrontation and I know I'd never get his registration numbers in the dark. So at 6 am, I go pull my gear and have 11 shrimp from 5 pots. I have Potbuilder's folding pots and clearly they had been worked over. The clips were in different places and one clip was missing as well as 2, 3lb. weights. I also use 2 bait containers per pot and all of my home made ones were gone. They are too big to fit though the tunnels and they were well secured. I thought shrimp thieves just stole shrimp and hoped that no one would know they had been there. This was a little too obvious. Kinda did number on my morning!

Sucks. Someone got mine last weekend on cochrane bay too. Zip tires were gone and only had 11 shrimp for an overnight soak. I'd sure love to catch those SOB's one day.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

That's bogus!!! Sorry guys; that's way too much of a PITA to go all that way and have some hoser snipe your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Sucks. Someone got mine last weekend on cochrane bay too. Zip tires were gone and only had 11 shrimp for an overnight soak. I'd sure love to catch those SOB's one day.
    Rob, I'm sitting there trying to think the best but knowing the opposite is true. These guys had to have a hot hydro puller because I watched them zip from point to point in pretty short order. I'm sure, coming into the bay they could see there was no traffic for miles and at 4 am, anyone else would be sleeping.

Yep. My Electradyne is pretty dang fast but a Honda or hydro puller could do it A lot quicker. It's a shame we get hit every now and then. We have been lucky this year as this was the only time we got ours pulled. Once last year too
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

If nothing else, you shoulda lobbed a couple flares at em.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

pull up on them with no lights on, flip your spotlight on get their numbers, shine light in their eyes to blind them and take off as fast as you can, call troopers. or just sneek up on them quietly, most likely they won't hear ya over their motor, (edited) problem solved, slink away, go back on your anchor and go to sleep. 2 problems taken care of you stretched you back and the vermin were eliminated.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-18-2013 at 23:32. Reason: inappropriate

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Stuff like this really torques me off. This kind of crap ruins the whole mood of going out there. What should be an awesome family Alaskan activity turns into a ridiculous game of cat and mouse with a bunch of thugs. We need to start getting this crap on video, posting it with the troopers, on the internet and dragging these dirt bags into court. Too much time and money invested into this.

Potbuilder, I am shocked, SHOCKED that you might suggest such violence toward these poor souls who were likely only attempting to glean a few meager crustaceans with which to feed their hungry families back in LosAnchorage, from whence they came with their humble $120,000.00 skiff. And I should hasten to add with the utmost sincerity that my suggestion to deploy a couple flares in their direction should in NO WAY be interpreted as suggesting an act of ill will toward these poor wayward souls. I simply meant that it might be kind to illuminate the dangers of the area and warn them off. Flares are to be used for emergency signaling ONLY, and one should take extreme care to NOT accidentally launch 3 or 4 of them into the house of a pirates boat, for that could easily cause a terrible fire which might burn said boat to the waterline, leaving little evidence as to what had transpired. And what a sad and terrible tragedy that would be!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Potbuilder, I am shocked, SHOCKED that you might suggest such violence toward these poor souls who were likely only attempting to glean a few meager crustaceans with which to feed their hungry families back in LosAnchorage, from whence they came with their humble $120,000.00 skiff. And I should hasten to add with the utmost sincerity that my suggestion to deploy a couple flares in their direction should in NO WAY be interpreted as suggesting an act of ill will toward these poor wayward souls. I simply meant that it might be kind to illuminate the dangers of the area and warn them off. Flares are to be used for emergency signaling ONLY, and one should take extreme care to NOT accidentally launch 3 or 4 of them into the house of a pirates boat, for that could easily cause a terrible fire which might burn said boat to the waterline, leaving little evidence as to what had transpired. And what a sad and terrible tragedy that would be!
    I suppose that when cabins are broken into and parked vehicles are burned hundreds of miles in the interior that those crimes should be blamed on someone from "Los Anchorage" too?

I started to read the thread hoping to see that finally someone had been held to account for it only to find that I was a suspect.

I think the shrimp stealers are probably the same guys or group of guys again and again in the middle of the night all summer. If someone was concerned enough they could see who is leaving the harbor at midnight or 1am and coming back at 3am and seeing if they are hauling shrimp to their car and waiting around a few hours for the tunnel to open (seems unlikely) or hauling it straight back to their condo in Whittier.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by fishingagain View Post
    I think the shrimp stealers are probably the same guys or group of guys again and again in the middle of the night all summer. If someone was concerned enough they could see who is leaving the harbor at midnight or 1am and coming back at 3am and seeing if they are hauling shrimp to their car and waiting around a few hours for the tunnel to open (seems unlikely) or hauling it straight back to their condo in Whittier.
    It would seem more plausable that the thieves are on the water during the day scoping out areas to ambush under the cover of darkness, then just holing up somewhere waiting to do their dastardly deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    It would seem more plausable that the thieves are on the water during the day scoping out areas to ambush under the cover of darkness, then just holing up somewhere waiting to do their dastardly deeds.
    I think you're probably right. I doubt this was their 1st rodeo and that they already know where they will find good concentrations of gear so they can get a lot done quickly without burning a bunch of fuel. At 4am, most everyone, even if moored close by, should be expected to to be asleep.

Having read the different responses, I'd like to discuss it a little further. I'd like to get my pound of flesh as much as the next guy, but we can find ourselves on a very slippery slope in a big hurry. When I entered the bay, I was poking around looking for other people's gear. Not to steal their stuff, but to avoid setting my gear on top of it and fouling everyone up. I've got to tell you, I wouldn't get the joke if all of a sudden someone sneaked up on me and blinded me with a spotlight or shot flares over, around or into my boat. At that point, you'd have to agree that I've gone from being an innocent boater to being the victim of harassment at the very least and possibly an assault. What if I figured someone was trying to board my vessel...rob me...kill me... or whatever. Would I be out of line trying to defend myself? What if I decided to put some lead in the air and actually hit something for a change? Or what if they were so sure, even though its pitch black out, that I was pulling their gear and and put a few rounds into my vessel or me? From my vantage point at the far end of the bay, I was pretty sure of what these guys were doing and I turned out to be correct in this instance. But what if they had reassembled my gear correctly..not taken weights, bait jars and a clip? I'd have zip evidence and could just as logically have chalked it up to me being a lousy shrimper. Different story, maybe, during daylight hours especially if you actually observe your gear going over someone else's rail, get reg #'s from a distance and can better assess the situation. In the dark, I think you're just asking for it.

Well last weekend I did lousy shrimping in my usually good areas, maybe they hit me as well. If these guys are pulling under the cover of darkness and using a fast puller, I bet a balloon full of pain about 50 ft down would make it easier to find they in the day light hours.

I would be very tempted to motor up on someone I suspected pulling my pots. I can think of lots of ways to approach them, even in the middle of the night and see what is up. How about hey guys I sure am glad I saw your lights, I am having some power issues and was wondering if you had a 30 amp fuse I could beg or borrow... oh and hey why the He&# do you have my buoy and line on your boat and what are we going to do about it now?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Well last weekend I did lousy shrimping in my usually good areas, maybe they hit me as well. If these guys are pulling under the cover of darkness and using a fast puller, I bet a balloon full of pain about 50 ft down would make it easier to find they in the day light hours.

I would be very tempted to motor up on someone I suspected pulling my pots. I can think of lots of ways to approach them, even in the middle of the night and see what is up. How about hey guys I sure am glad I saw your lights, I am having some power issues and was wondering if you had a 30 amp fuse I could beg or borrow... oh and hey why the He&# do you have my buoy and line on your boat and what are we going to do about it now?
    black balloon full of driveway sealer or tar !!! can't be wiped off and don't forget those tiny zip ties on the doors and bait cages !! Hey whats that little clear dot in the cement weight in the pot ??? oh seizie its a tiny camera taking video of the theives stealing your gear ??? Don't laugh a lobsterman buddy of mine worked with F&G back east and the put those "chips" they used in pets in a 100 lobster that they put back in his pots, tied all the tunnels, vents & doors shut and set the gear back in, all of this was recorded on video with a F&G biologist on board. When the supected theives went back out to haul the cops were waiting for them at their dock when they returned, Long story short when the cops waived the wand that finds the chips over the catch the theives had 90 of the 100 planted bugs(no pun intended) !! Cost the theives 250,000 big ones once the judge got done with them !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    I suppose that when cabins are broken into and parked vehicles are burned hundreds of miles in the interior that those crimes should be blamed on someone from "Los Anchorage" too?

I started to read the thread hoping to see that finally someone had been held to account for it only to find that I was a suspect.

Dude, Seems this forum blames everything on People from Anchorage.
    We steal others shrimp
    We defecate on their beaches
    We break in to their cabins
    We kill their people on the roads

Seems the same people blame those from Anchorage for everything. Next it will be our fault it is raining.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1