Thread: Renting in Fairbanks area? Best deal areas?

Question Renting in Fairbanks area? Best deal areas?

Looking at possibly renting in a year or so in the Fairbanks area, to start atleast, until the career is found. Best areas that are decent at this point? We have been looking online and are in sticker shock...going to U.A.F. online for a Masters in Environmental Geology currently and planing on making Alaska my home one day. Been working on it for years friends that remember me...

Have you thought about buying a house? Rents in Fairbanks are highly inflated. I can just about guarantee that you'll pay less on the mortgage of a modest house than the rent on about anything except a small dry cabin...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Military housing allowance has completely skewed the rental market in Fairbanks.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

You can get dry cabins for not much money in the Goldstream Valley and Ester. Convenient to the University and trails.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

here is some more motivation to buy a place up here, rather than rent:

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...a4bcf6878.html

OUCH! That is definitely incentive to buy. Thank you all for the replies!

Rent in fairbanks is insane unless you want to live in a shack.. You would be better off buying if you are going to stay for anything more than 5 years. I will sell you my house

I'm buying your house soon Bsj425 lol! Sounds like renting unless at UAF possibly would be a rip off. Maybe I can get a deal in my last semester there to check it out...

You can buy a house, pay a $100,000 in interest payments to borrow the money. Don't forget the borough taxes to support the teachers retirements and hauling your own garbage to the dumpsters. Then good luck selling your home when everyone has given up on the place (fairbanks) after paying four bucks a gallon for heating oil and the highest electricity bills in the nation for the last decade. Remember when Fairbanks was going to get a gas pipeline in the early eighties? Things were looking up for this place then. Now thirty some odd years later and in the midst of an energy cost crisis. Are we any closer to getting North Slope natural gas? You might want to consider a few of those issues before you buy a home in Fairbanks. Remember how easy it is to walk away from a rental....rent for the first few years and analyze the cost of living up here before you make a huge mistake....

The only reason that the housing market has not collapsed in Fairbanks is that there is a steady stream on new people coming here to replace all the people that are leaving after giving up on the high costs here. If your not making $80,000/yr it won't be easy.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"