Thread: Winchester WLR Primers

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Winchester WLR Primers

I thought l had scored 1000 large rifle primers today, but now I'm wondering if they scored me. They look like crap.

There is a flat portion on top but it doesn't go all the way to the sides like CCI or Rem primers. The cups are too rounded to suit me. Some are flatter than others.

Is this normal? for Winchester primers?

Are Winchester primers any good? Poor quality?

How can they be consistent when they're not all shaped the same?

I paid $41.99 for them. I'm glad I didn't get more than one box. They had more. (At SW)

Maybe, I can tak'em back.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Until I had to take what ever I found, I always shot Winchester primers. Always shot well. No problems. I have some newer stuff and I'll look at them tonight.

I've used WLR and WLRM primers a lot over the years, never had any other than great luck with them - It would not be out of the realm of possibility for "knock offs" to start showing up in components too nowadays - It would also be too easy for someone to switch out some other brand of primer in the W/W packaging - "OH, what a world" .......

Winchester WLR's have been my primary large rifle primer for a couple/3 decades. I've probably used around 40 to 50 thousand of them. Just a guess. I've never experienced a failure. Yet.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I have used Winchester primers for a very long time, even as a licensed reloader. They should be very consistent in shape, as well as performance. If they are not, there is something wrong. If they are different in color, there is something wrong. If the boxes are white with red and orange color bands, they are older lots.
    SW probably had no knowledge of what was inside the boxes. They may not always have accurate answers, but I don't believe they are malicious. That's some price. Sad state of affairs.

I've also used Winchester WLR's for a long long time. They've always served me well and I've never had a failure. But I purchased several bricks of the new blue box packaging about 8 months ago and was very unimpressed. Cups were extremely inconsistent in the amount of pressure required to seat them. Felt like perhaps the cup mouths had sharp edges/burrs that were digging into the walls of the primer pockets during seating. Some took so much pressure to seat I was afraid of breaking my tool or causing detonation. The few rounds I fired with them were not especially consistent. I ditched those and have switched brands.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks Everyone:
    I wuz hopin for some good feedback.

One would hope that Winchester primers would be guality, but these don't look like it. I have not TRIED them, though, and at this point, I don't think I will. Less maybe SW won't tak'em back.

They look kinda like those old Round Top primers that have been flattened. CCI Primers have nice square tops and I'm thinkin that's the way they should be.

I hope I'm not overeacting, but you never know about us ole hillbillies.

Thanks again
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I've been using Winchester primers since I started reloading. In my experience they have always been a little more rounded than Fed, CCI, and Rem. It's hard to say if yours are defected without actually seeing them though. They are outstanding primers, I've never had one fail yet.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The fact that the primers are more rounded before seating them, is not significant. If you are using the standard priming arm on a single stage press, then it is more difficult to get a good feel to seat them consistently, and often the primers sometimes look very flat from a little extra priming pressure, and more rounded if just enough pressure is used. I've been using the Lee hand priming tool forever, and like the feel they give you.

I took'em back, and got my money back.

They said they didn't like returns on ammo etc. I told them my concerns, and showed CCI primers as a comparison. Also told them I was a good customer and I'd appreciate it if they would do the return.

Every box was examined. The boxes were very loose, also not like CCI and Rem., so that was easy.

The guy who made the decision agreed with me. I stressed that I didn't KNOW they were a problem, but just that I was uncomfortable with them. He said he could also see that some were flatter than others, and how they might be inconsistant in ignition.

So there you have it.
    Another exciting episode in my Life of Low Adventure.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    The fact that the primers are more rounded before seating them, is not significant. If you are using the standard priming arm on a single stage press, then it is more difficult to get a good feel to seat them consistently, and often the primers sometimes look very flat from a little extra priming pressure, and more rounded if just enough pressure is used. I've been using the Lee hand priming tool forever, and like the feel they give you.
    Not a good idea IMO, seating by feel, as in a certain amount of pressure, even if you had a gage on your arm. That makes for High Primers.

Nor is it a good idea to seat them to the same depth, cause the depths of the PPs may not be the same.

I don't seat primers by feel, except that I can feel them bottom out hard. Which is why I use the primer arm where possible, and that's usually the case. I don't even own a separate touchy feeley primer seater.

I uniform the primer pockets and make sure I seat the primers all the way. Couldn't do that with a pot metal hand seater and a mightier grip than I've got.

I like SOME of Lee's inovations, but that ain't one of'em.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.