Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #1

Default Ruger #1

I have the opportunity to buy a Ruger #1-H in 375H&H. I understand this is a wonderful caliber for brown bears but I hear very little discussion of this particular rifle. I am curious to hear other opinions on the use of a single shot rifle for big bears. I know a guy who hunted cape buffalo with this exact setup and loved it.
    Thanks...

great round and gun...better make the first shot count or be a fast reloader or have backup... although the bears i have shot have never run toward me...always away. those are beautiful guns but i would never want a single shot.

+ 1 for cjustinm

Been shooting one for over 30 years. When you learn how to hold a couple of spare rounds between your fingers in your trigger hand, you can operate a #1 375 as fast as any bolt. BTDT. Magnaport the barrel and install one of the mercury recoil reducers in the butt stock, and you'll actually be seeing rounds hit through the scope. None of my bolts can do that. It all adds up to a more effective gun in my long experience. I'd be more inclined to take my #1 for bears than my tricked out bolt 375. I have that much confidence in it and my abilities to shoot it fast and accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Been shooting one for over 30 years. When you learn how to hold a couple of spare rounds between your fingers in your trigger hand, you can operate a #1 375 as fast as any bolt. BTDT. Magnaport the barrel and install one of the mercury recoil reducers in the butt stock, and you'll actually be seeing rounds hit through the scope. None of my bolts can do that. It all adds up to a more effective gun in my long experience. I'd be more inclined to take my #1 for bears than my tricked out bolt 375. I have that much confidence in it and my abilities to shoot it fast and accurately.
    if you're going to have to carry spare rounds in your fingers at the ready...what the point of having the single shot? why not a magazine that holds them for you? obviously you've become profiecent with your #1 but with the average guys who hasn't practiced the "hold the shells in your hand while you shoot method" do you think this is a good choice for him?

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    ...what the point of having the single shot?
    Cuzz I like em, and cuzz that's the way the original Faquarsons were used, as were double rifles of the day. The debate between bolts, singles an doubles is nothing new, dating back to the month-long safaris of yesteryear. They didn't solve it then, and we won't solve it now. My point is that it can be done, and in fact the level of proficiency required is the same as a guy should put in with any heavy rifle- bolt, double or single- if he's going to use it for dangerous game.

Each of us have to shoot what we like, and we have to make room for other guys to shoot what they like. If he likes a #1 and wants to shoot it, I'm telling him it can be done with reasonable practice and there's historic precedent for it. I also use flintlocks a lot, even if bolt guns are most certainly better. Not my point or interest.

I'm a single fan too and really like the longer barrel than you get from a bolt gun with the same overall length. My favorite is an Encore in 6.5-06AI and a Contender in .30-30AI. Both are a joy to carry and superbly accurate and I have too many barrels for them...just like potato chips. My "big thing" gun is still a Sako Carbine in .375 H&H or a guide gun because I still want the gun to hold my extra rounds for me.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I have a co-worker who inherited a Ruger #1 from his dad. He claimed his dad had an armband that held spare rounds on his trigger arm and with that he could re-load faster than my co-worker could operate his bolt rifle. I've not seen the arm band setup but it may be worth looking into if you decide to go that direction.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to carry a #1 with a big pistol on my waist belt, I was looking for one in .270 and had planned on operating that way.

I have one of the butt stock ammo carriers on mine and it is just as fast to reload as any bolt. A little practice and you are in business. The No 1 is faster to reload than my Sharps too. Jim

Only thing to watch with the #1 and fast loading is the "shell stop" function of the long front leg on the tang safety. The cases tend to hang it, which really slows things down with a scope. Easy solution is to remove the safety slide, shorten and round that front leg, and touch-up blue.

Another point is to remove the forend and adjust the tension on the ejector spring. You want plenty of oomph so the empty case clears the action with authority. Another easy fix.

I’m a fan. I’ve got .338 and .375 H&H in Ruger #1. But I’m not prejudice either, I’ve also got a BAR .338.

Does that make me a liberal?

It is a fine rifle. As to being just as fast as any bolt, I don't know about that. Especially for more than about 3 shots. The time it takes to recover from recoil, and re-aim and then fire is different from just how fast one can reload and shoot. I have seen a TV show where a Brit expert put a full clip (8 or 10) all on target in less than ten seconds using a Lee Enfield .303 British. Can't see that with a single shot, but I could be wrong.

A quick search found this
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR

I have no experience with Brown Bear. Col. Townsend Whelen hunted quite a bit and he said the single shot was excellent unless the weather gets cold.
    He found it nearly impossible to reload with frozen hands. Even the Col. missed occasionally.
    I understand that some of Alaska gets very cold and that coastal Alaska is frequently cold and wet. The issue might be weather or heavy brush associated with the coast, not the size of the game. Of course, I would love to own a No 1, but it might not be practical for Brown Bear. Maybe 458Win will check in with some advice for you. He does have experience with large Alaskan bears.

the cartridge in question is great on bears as is the rifle. just think you need to be proficient and practiced up if your going in for some close range alder thicket hunting with a single shot...either way bolt or single...you get too close it wont matter, you'll only get one shot anyways before you become bear poop.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Been shooting one for over 30 years. When you learn how to hold a couple of spare rounds between your fingers in your trigger hand, you can operate a #1 375 as fast as any bolt.
    Not saying it can't be done, just saying that I'd have to see that to believe it......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

off topic but what might be more exciting than a single shot at cloe range would be a recurve bow, solo huting with no rifle or pistol backup....sounds fun.

Just did some more reading on the Lee Enfield. From Wikipedia it seems that the LE can be shot very fast. You cycle the bolt with your thumb and index finger, and pull the trigger with your middle finger, never taking your fingers off the bolt handle, as the trigger is located such that it is in perfect position to pull the trigger when holding the bolt in that manner. It says....

" The current world record for aimed bolt-action fire was set in 1914 by a musketry instructor in the British Army—Sergeant Instructor Snoxall—who placed 38 rounds into a 12-inch-wide (300 mm) target at 300 yards (270 m) in one minute.

Very impressive!

The Lee Enfield was Col. Coopers first choise on his first scout rifle..I still mostly hunt with singles and can reload very fast on the range but never needed to in the field. Sold my Rugers last year and now just use my lowly H&Rs.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I like the single-shot falling block style rifles. BUT they have very little ability to lever in a round which isn't fully resized or to extract a stuck/swollen case; Usually the case doesn't clear the action on a falling block style rifle. In general most #1 Rugers are less accurate than bolt action rifles as well, not to say that accuracy isn't acceptable for hunting it just usually doesn't compare with bolt actions at the bench. The 375 H&H is a great round however, regardless of which rifle design you desire.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    In general most #1 Rugers are less accurate than bolt action rifles as well, not to say that accuracy isn't acceptable for hunting it just usually doesn't compare with bolt actions at the bench.
    Any idea why that is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast