Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Sonar?

Default Kenai Sonar?

Isn't the sonar usually up and counting by the 16th of May?

Anyone know what's going on?

Due to the big tides and heavy debris moving down the river the sonar was pulled out last Friday. It went back in on Sunday around 3pm with not many fish moving by. There should be numbers available Tuesday.

They are posting the numbers as of today, looks like a grand total of 18 fish on Sunday!

OK yukon, even though it wasn't the true first-day sonar count, your opening guess was a lot better than mine!

Missing those first four days probably won't change the final results much... ususally those first few counts have been low double digits in past years. Who knows, given a slightly delayed spring, starting four days late may be a more representative assessment of the run's progress.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    5-25-07

The king run is off to a slow start, but a few more are showing each day.... 91 yesterday, hopefully triple digits soon! If we were to add 30-40 fish per day for the missed days of counting, the early run is preliminarily tracking in the 6000-6500 range (about 40% of an average return), albeit with a wide margin of error for now.
    Well, we finally hit triple digits yesterday.

Even so, this run is off to a very SLOW start. So far, it's still running at only 40% of the average return.... the third lowest return to date in the past 20 years! At the early run's current pace, it's on track for an in-river return of only 6800 fish . Only two years have been worse... 1998 which went to C&R on June 5, and 2002 which got shut down completely on June 11.

The next 5 days sonar counts will be very telling. If we don't see progressively bigger triple digit counts, things are not looking good.

Even if that should come to pass, all is not lost if only 6800 fish show up. According to ADFG's new and improved BEG of 5300-9000, that means there are still 1500 paper fish for us to harvest!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default Low counts

The low counts are certainly alarming, but I have to wonder (and hope) if, like last year, things are running late. I know breakup was later than most recent years, the water levels, though are up to par presently, got a slow start, The water temperatures are still very cold. So....... I agree that after the next week or so, we should have a better picture fo what is going on. 2001 was a good year for the early run sonar counts (brood year for the 4 ocean fish). So.... hoping for simply a late start ....

Was down at the lower kenai on Sunday... Didnt see a SINGLE boat... place was deserted. Any reason for this?

No guided fishing on Sunday, perhaps?
    The KeenEye MD

I'm sure the ****ed commercial fishermen with their curtains of death are to blame for the low catch rates in the kenai. I hate those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I'm sure the ****ed commercial fishermen with their curtains of death are to blame for the low catch rates in the kenai. I hate those guys.
    Wrong month, gunner.
    The KeenEye MD

Yup you ovbiously have never been to the upper kenai in august when every single bit of spawning gravel is being used or you are amazingly uninformed or hopefully you are just being sarcastic.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default nice bait

Gunner you hooked some - nice job of trolling just the right amount of bait.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    2001 was a good year for the early run sonar counts (brood year for the 4 ocean fish). So.... hoping for simply a late start ....
    You're right, 2001 was a good escapement year... due in large part to a tough fishing season and therefore low exploitation.

The early season was plagued by mass amounts of "toilet paper" algae that rendered your lines unfishable in less than two minutes each time out.

Then just as that was beginning to subside, the Killey puked late in the third week of June.

Although it was "fishable" 4 days later (using that term very loosely) it never really recovered decent viz for the rest of the month. It was some of the toughest no-bait fishing ever encountered on the early run.

The next 5 days sonar counts will be very telling. If we don't see progressively bigger triple digit counts, things are not looking good.
    On a sweeter note, the 2007 counts are finally starting to look up. 117 on Mon, 144 on Tues, and 164 on Wed. Keeping my fingers crossed for a big build-up over the next three weeks.... can't wait to hit the river on the 23rd!
    The KeenEye MD

Default Anchor vs Kenai

Pretty interesting that the Anchor counts are nearly triple the Kenai counts to date.

When you consider the relative size of each drainage it just leaves you feeling a bit .

Not sure where the DIDSON sonar sits in the lower Anchor, but it sure makes you wonder how many of those Anchor fish are being double and triple counted?
    The KeenEye MD

there was another jump in the kenai count today... i think it was about 250 or something like that - good sign... and actually the fishing has been decent considering the low numbers - probably due to awesome water conditions lately. it's still slow, but to think one boat can catch 2, or even just 1, of the 100-150 fish coming in on a given day is pretty wild.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

The run continues to chug along in low gear. We're now projecting about half of historic average for the early run.

Would have been cause for alarm under the old management scheme (only three years have ever been worse... 1991 C/R, 1998 C/R, and 2002 closure) but now with a lower end goal of only 5300, the "good" news is we've probably got nearly 3000 fish to spare.

Go get 'em!
    The KeenEye MD

Not sure where the DIDSON sonar sits in the lower Anchor, but it sure makes you wonder how many of those Anchor fish are being double and triple counted?
    The Didson sits just below the fork. With Didson, you can distinguish between upstream and downstream moving targets, so there is no need to wonder because fish are only counted once. Eventually the water level drops and they are able to weir the entire river and pull out sonar.

Pretty interesting that the Anchor counts are nearly triple the Kenai counts to date.

When you consider the relative size of each drainage it just leaves you feeling a bit .

Could it have something to do with the lack of hydrocrabons and development near the spawning grounds of the kings?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

No AKPM if you do a little research you will find out where the first run kings spawn.

Default Hydrocarbon Slight of Hand

Once again a commercial fishermen refers to the hydrocarbon issue. Once again it is directed at the in river users, this time to question the low return of first run kings. My question is this. What is your group doing to address the issue powder monkey? I have worked on too many commercial boats that run out of the Kenai to think that they are not also a contributor to the problem. They fuel at the docks and I have witnessed many overflows into the river. I have seen engine rooms knee deep in oil and gas and antifreeze slurry bilged right over the side into the river. I have watched joy soap fly off the shelves of local grocers every summer. No sheen, no problem? I am not anti commercial fishing. I believe that looking at the whole problem usually results in a better solution. When joy soap is no longer needed on commercial fishing boats then I will be a little more comfortable with the industry pointing a finger at the in river users.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast