Thread: The WACH Report-Mini-edition

Default The WACH Report-Mini-edition

Ok guys here we go!

This report is for you guys who are headed up to unit 23 so you poor guys who are going to unit 13 your on the wrong page. Ha....

I have been speaking with the pilots that fly mu groups out and the early reports are promising. The North Slope is seeing temps at the freezing mark which gets the Bou moving and starts to kill the bugs. As the temps drop in the next 2 weeks we can expect to see the animals band up into traveling groups in anticipation of the migration south. If you are hunting before Sept. 10th expect to be hunting in the upper Noatak, above the Nimmi. This area (quite lathe area) is where the early bow come down first and end up below the village of Ambler. Onion Portage sees most of the early animals so you guys who are hunting on the middle to upper Kobuk will be filling tags first. There is a huge group of animals milling around north of Kivalina but don't appear to be in any hurry to cross the mountains into the Noatak drainage. This is a bit different because that Kivalina group are normally well under 3,000 animals and not part of the main band that drops calves up near Wainright.

A thing to consider when you early guys head out... wait. Many of the early animals tend to be cows, calves and jr. bulls. The larger bulls tend to lag behind the early bands and a bit of restraint will yield a larger bull many times. Spend some time glassing and getting use to the size of the country in unit 23. Many times you will be able to see 2-3 groups of caribou at a time. Don't stalk those critters, intercept them! Good optics make all the difference in the world. Nothing stinks worse that spending hours getting range of a band of Bou only to find that they are cows, calves and 2-3 year old bulls. Be choosey.

We are shipping our last load of gear up to Kotz this week. I use the 3 week rule. Everything needs to be shipped 3 weeks before you need that gear. NAC, Everett's and Lynden all will tell you that it will arrive in 4-6 days but last year my gear was stuck in Anchorage for almost 3 weeks due to getting bumped and mechanical issues. If you have any questions about shipping gear up to Kotz shoot me a PM and I will tell you who I ship with and why.

Get ready boys....Its time!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Drop Camps and Float hunts
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Right on!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Stranger:

How did the kids softball tournament in Noorvik go this summer?

Walt

Thanks for the report Walt, it certainly does get the blood pumping. Do you have any experience or knowledge in regards to those caribou that pass through the Selawik NWR, and how your current information relates to a typical year? Appreciate the time you take to put together these reports.

Yes. we out there. Shoot me a PM and I will share info with you.

Walt

Thanks. PM sent.

I dont think theres a softball team his year, walt.

We were in and out quite abit and I saw no action at all. Rather than ply ball, my two oldest daughter wentto Kotzebue and commercial fished. The day the younger of them turned 16 she bought a helpers license, and they caught 875 salmon that day......I told her "its all easy after THAT!!!" ~~LOL!!~~ and hopefully shell be home soon for school, whilst the oldest heads to Anchorage to get her Commercial "6pack" boat license. The third youngest and the 4th daughters came home with 3 Caribou today, and were just supossed to sight in an SKS the oldest picked up recently.

Pitching "ball" ammo is about all thats been played here , recently

SNWR is all around here, but mostly to the East, most Caribou are still a couple weeks away.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Heading up to the noatak 15-23 Sep. can't wait. I know that everything is weather dependent, but when do you think the best time is for Noatak, Nimi, Anisak areas for caribou?

Your dates are about as perfect for the Noatak as you can get. I tell my guys that peek time for animal movement is Sept 15-Oct. 5. No temp/meat issues and the critters will be in most drainages. I guess the big question is are you floating or doing a drop camp? My answer will be different for each type of hunt.

Fo you guys who are starting to look at 2014 think about your dates first! The weather has so much to do with the quality of your hunt. We have been seeing warmer and warmer weather in unit 23 over the past 5 years. I had a group contact me about a hunt over Labor Day this week and that is just a bad idea most years. There are not consistent numbers up there most years that early! If you are going to spend the money to have this quality of hunt your dates need to be flexible if you want to see maximum numbers of caribou. If you're looking at 2014 hunt look us up and I will point you in the right direction. If you're doing a 2013 and you have questions I will do my best to help but it is a bit late to make much of an impact.

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.net
    907-259-4290

Walt,
    did you get my private message? Appreciate any information. Thanks.

No. Try sending it to my business email at northwestalaska@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stekewood View Post
    Walt,
    did you get my private message? Appreciate any information. Thanks.
    I am also having trouble with the pm function of this forum. For some reason, I send a message, but the recipient doesn't recieve it and it doesn't show up in the sent folder.

Any changes this past week? Weather or otherwise. Thanks for your report.

My first groups head out 9/8/13.

I was contacted by a group who are not one of mine. The question centered around where will the Bou be Sept. 1st......North of the Brooks Range was my answer!

You guys planning to hunt out of Kotz in 2014 please keep in mind that most of us who work with hunt groups in unit 23 have moved most of our dates back almost 2 weeks in the past 5 years. I do not book caribou hunts before 9/8 as a rule. Yes, sometimes we have groups of Bbu come through in early Sept.but the majority of the animals do not move into the unit until the weather makes them. The fall weather is warmer and you should not get talked into an early hunt unless there is a good reason. I feel that it is my job to assist hunters have a great hunt and that includes putting them in the best country with the best chances to see bulls, and that is why the dates are so important.

One of the things I do before I get put down in a new area is have the pilot do a quick fly around so you can see game ( or the lack of game) water sources, other camps and places to spot game movement. This will only take 5 mins or less and your pilot should be willing to do this for you, hell you have paid for that flight! If you are not seeing any game....well....RED FLAG!

I will keep ya posted.

Walt
    Drop Camps & Float Hunts
    Unit 23-Kotz
    Booking 2014 hunts NOW!
    www.northwestalaska.net