Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black or Griz?

Default Black or Griz?

A buddy of mine showed me this pics of his stand. He is finally getting some activity but looks like he is getting hit by griz. He has several more pics of confirmed griz, but what about this guy?
    Last edited by RCBOWHUNTER; 12-09-2007 at 11:54.

Default hard to know for sure

Without a good look at the head, its a tough call to make for sure, but look at its size relative to the barrel. It would be an enormous cinnamon! It looks to have the hump on the back, though angle makes it impossible to tell for sure. Also the head is very blocky, from what I can see of it. I'm 90-95% that its a griz; it would take a live look to be sure, but from that pic I doubt that I'd be taking the top P&Y cinnamon phase for the year.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Without a good look at the head, its a tough call to make for sure, but look at its size relative to the barrel. It would be an enormous cinnamon!.....
    If that is a black bear, and comparing it to the drum, it's absolutely huge.

It's a brownie...........

i'd say based off the head size compared to the body and shape on the neck, i'd go grizz, not much for a hump, but its a pretty tough angle, needless to say if i only had a black bear tag, i'd hold off for a better view. i've seen black bears that size though so i wouldn't discount it till i had a better look.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I am saying Griz, theres things about the body and hair that point towards that but I'd definately get a better look at him.

Default Agreed

Have to agree. Brown. Remember that browns can be black too. One was posted on this forum last year. So they vary in color.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default hard to say

I wouldn't take the shot if that was my only view, but thats a nice looking bear either way. I'm inclined to say its a grizz, but not 100% sure about that.

Alful big for a black - most blacks in AK are black with other color phases distinctly uncommon. It just "looks like a griz"....and not a blackie.

Default tough

I tend to side with the grizz, but possibility of a BIG, BIG cinnamon. I have a cinnamon coming in that is BIG and sure do look alike. The head is throwing me off as it looks huge! Wish I could see its face better. The fiancee just busted a 7' blackie here. Just a beast. We only get one like that once every 5 to 6 years.

Thumbs up I agree...

I would like to see his head to make sure, but it seems to have more grizzly characteristics to me as well.

you only got the one picture of it? or is there some more we could check out, i've been thinking of this pic most of the day, the buff shoulders says grizz, the little bitty hump says big black bear, the color says grizz but the smallish looking legs say black bear...maybe its a blizz. i have heard of those before.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Black or Grizz

I have about 15 more pics of other bears which are griz that are hitting the site but this was the only pic that was took of this one. Kinda weird because the camera is set for every minute and the other bear have more then 1 pic its just this one that doesnt... I went to ADF&G this morning and the guys that looked at the pic are leaning more towards Grizz also but arent betting it in court....Hopefully Ill get more pics on the cam. If you would like more pics of the other bears just send me your email...

Default waterlogged grizz...

Is there water near the bait? That looks like a griz thats been swimming. Huge for a blackie.

Frank

Default Black or Grizz

Ya there is water but a very shallow creek no deep holes to actually swim

Also appears he has a pretty good rub started on his left side too.

Default Pic

Russion Boar for sure.

How big is the barrel? Where is the bear standing in relation to the barrel? How big are the trees around the bear? The lack of hump, along with how stocky he is, makes my first reaction go to blacky. But there is already confirmed griz action, and blacks don't really care for that unless they are very large. How many grizzlys are hitting the bait?

I don't have as much time with grizzlys as I do blacks, but this bears general shape makes me lean away from the griz. Then on the other side, the color variation from dark almost black, to a lighter chocolate makes me lean away from black bear, although I have seen color variations similar to this in blacks.
    Get some more pictures for us.

-Eric

Default Guess

A barrel is 34 1/2. I copied the image into Page Maker, drew a line the length of the barrel, then copied and pased the line along the bears outline to the tail. If so, the bear is a little over three barrels long or 93.5" or close to 8'. I did it again using a line 1/3 of a barrel long and came out with again 8' +/-. If it is a blackie, it is a biggen.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default I say blackie

looks like a big blackie to me. grizz have more of hump and different looking fur. has a big neck too but says blackie all over it.

Default ?

Is anybody noting the ear configuruation, How about the tracks left my that bruin? I'd say your looking at a griz from that angle. I'd certainly get a good look at the ears, facial "dishing" and paws.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast