Thread: suzuki portable outboard

Default suzuki portable outboard

I'm in the planning process to get a Hudson Bay. I was going to go with a Honda 20, but then looked at the specs of a 2013 Suzuki 20, which weighs 97 lbs., 7 pounds lighter than the Honda. Looking for anyone who has knowledge on how these new Suzuki's are running. I've run a Suzuki jet on one of my boats years ago and ran like a top day in and day out. Thanks in advance for any info.

both good motors it all depends on who / where you get the warinty work dun . you want a local place, easyer to get to , close to your home port ,
    also COST of unit, cost of parts to you, it all adds up fast , if you run shallow rivers / water the cost of props will get to you , look at the total the
    total cost ,, SID

rubi,

I'm also comparing the Honda 20 to the Suzuki 20. When first introduced last year (2012) Suzuki offered a long shaft, manual (rope only) start version, that weighed only 99 pounds (compared to the Honda's long shaft @ 110#, which is electric & rope start). For me, that 11# savings was a big factor in Suzuki's favor, since I don't want to also carry a battery. This year (2013) the Suzuki manual start version is only available as a short shaft. The long shaft electrical & rope start Suzuki weighs 108#. Now, with only two pounds of difference between brands, that is not enough to make a clear choice either way, to me anyway. But, maybe there's a older 2012 manual long shaft Suzuki still sitting on a dealer's shelf???

I also notice that the Honda has a slightly larger displacement engine 21.5 cu.in. VS Suzuki's 20 cu.in., and the Honda comes with a 4-bladed propeller VS a 3-blade prop on the Suzuki (both props are the same size & pitch 9.25" x 10"). So, in the long shaft category, the main difference comes down to Suzuki's EFI, or Honda's carb???

Plus, like Sid said - local dealer support. Whatever brand you choose, please post your findings and results.

Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I have 4 Suzuki's, 2 each 250 HP, 2 each 50 HP and 1each 9.9, all have worked like they are supposed to, just add fuel, and oil changes on a regular schedule. All seem to have more horse power with lower weight, The gearing makes the difference in torque and economy.

Short shaft (15") works great on HB canoe. I chose the Honda 20HP, this, based on using a Honda 9.9 for 12 years without an issue. Quality is built into the Honda. In my thought process, weight was one factor that I ultimately just gave up on. I reasoned that once I stick it on the HB it is staying there. I selected e-start, e-tilt (129 lbs dry weight). So far not a worry, I do pay attention to the pot holes ect to minimize any transome jarring. The e-tilt is a nice feature when I am running in shallow water or just beaching the canoe. I have trimmed the canoe to balance the load using 6 gal water jugs....3-5 filled (based on the lake conditions) in the bow if just me fishing and none if I have a bow rider.

Almost 500 hours on my 2006 DF115 jet. Never been in for engine problems. Rebuilt impeller, wear rings, water pumps, oil changes, fuel filters..... normal service and wear items.

Check warranty length! I got 2 extra years.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Thanks for all your responses. I think at this time I am leaning towards the Suzuki, but have not completely ruled out the Honda.

Now I just need to finalize the plans to get the Hudson. Waiting for Passport to get in to make a trip to Whitehorse. Tried finding a used Hudson but that is like the proverbial needle in a haystack.

Again your responses are appreciated and will update as it all fall into place.

If you buy in Canada, and you take the canoe from Canada to US you will have to pay attention to the paperwork as you are now the importer and the DMV will have several forms for your trailer, canoe. Visit your local DVM to get a list of all the forms they require i.e., customs forms for canoe/trailer, sheriff dept inspections for serial number verification, and have any bills of sale notarized, and try to get your questions answered up front ( me...I asked my questions only after I began to see a problem develop). In my case, the customs agent did not inspect the canoe (was a requirement) and Scott canoe did not notarize the bills of sale... that delay cost me 1 month of sending mail back and forth and taking my canoe for customs inspection....and I learned next day mail from Canada takes 2 weeks.

GOOD TO KNOW boarder crossing's can be a pain in the back side
    SID

Thanks for the headsup bobmikk. Your HB is a good looking freighter