Thread: This will be a stupid quest. 2 and HALF in shotshells???

Default This will be a stupid quest. 2 and HALF in shotshells???

So...I've only heard of 2-1/2 inch shotshells once. Somebody once said he used them as some sort of American close equivalent to an antique (turn of the century) British shell for a sxs "fowler" gun he had from that era.

My question is, and I think the answer is "yes" can these be fired in a 2-3/4" AND 3" chamber?

I have some vintage Winchesters that can't shoot steel and someone offered to sell me some non steel shells in 2-1/2 inches. I just want to be sure I can use them before I buy them. Seems to me this shouldn't be any different than firing 2-3/4 in a 3 or 3-1/2 chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    ...Seems to me this shouldn't be any different than firing 2-3/4 in a 3 or 3-1/2 chamber.
    Sound logic, that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Shouldn't be an issue. I've only seen 2.5" in really old British (Kynoch maybe?) ammo.

I have fired 1.75" Aguila shells in both pumps and singles without any issue.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Shouldn't be an issue. I've only seen 2.5" in really old British (Kynoch maybe?) ammo.

I have fired 1.75" Aguila shells in both pumps and singles without any issue.
    pumps and singles...

One of my guns is an autoloader. I overlooked that. A 2.5 shell might not have the power to cycle the action. Too bad. The autoloader is the 2-3/4. The pump is 3".

pumps and singles...

One of my guns is an autoloader. I overlooked that. A 2.5 shell might not have the power to cycle the action. Too bad. The autoloader is the 2-3/4. The pump is 3".
    Just curious- are these 2.5" just a good deal or are you specifically looking for 2.5"? Those are pretty special items to just burn through in lieu of plain old upland lead shot loads in 2.75".

The short length will make cycling problematic.The Aguilas wouldn't feed worth beans in the pump gun. Fired fine but feeding through the action was a problem. I imagine an autoloader would be worse, if not impossible.

My vintage Winchester M12 eats a regular diet of 2.75", 7/8th oz low brass loads that are easy on the gun and feed fine.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

They're an okay deal. buck a shell, I think. They're Bismuth. I'm just looking at it as an opportunity to add to my stash of ammo that is safe in my old guns. Just trying to keep'em shooting longer. I know that one day, every form of non-steel non-tox ammo will go away, and, likely as not, even upland ammo will go from being lead to steel. Once the lead and non-steel non-tox disappears from the scene, my guns will become life limited items.
    That said, there isn't much sense n buying even Bismuth shot if they're not useable/useful in my guns.

They're an okay deal. buck a shell, I think. They're Bismuth. ....
    OK- got it.