Thread: Parks above the HWY

Default Parks above the HWY

Went and fished the parks this Friday, am I crazy or is fishing not really hot up north of the Parks yet? I remember last year this time doing quite well. Anyone experiencing the same fishing conditions or is it just me? If it is just me please PM me if you are interested in buying some slightly used quality fly fishing gear!

On Friday I caught one FAT rainbow and partner caught none. We fished hard, but not very high up. Caught the one on bead. I usually catch a lot. water was clear, not high and there were tons of pinks in reds. A few silvers moving in schools and some kings and chum around. I have never fished at this time before. It was hot two weeks ago.
    Go higher? Use flesh flies?

Judging the fishing any where by only fishing one day doesn't really add up. Every day is a new day and fish are where they should be.

Which side of the Parks is North?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Which side of the Parks is North?
    um the right side?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    um the right side?
    As you're headed North, or South?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The Parks Hwy actually runs North and South for the most part. The upstream side of the Willow is the right side headed North, is actually East.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Power Drifter,

"Every day is a new day and fish are where they should be." Wow that is soo deep, wood turner and philosopher. Who wood have thunk it.

How are you?

George

I meant upstream of the parks, East in most cases, poor choice of words my part.

If the pink salmon in the streams have begun to lay their eggs, then it will be very difficult to find rainbows for a bit. At least until the glut of the pink eggs has abated. Then it should heat up for rainbows again. The pinks in my observations clog the stream with so much quality food (eggs), that only the lucky anglers will get hook ups with such well fed rainbows. Pinks seem to be more aggressive than other salmon species in their protection of their redds from the rainbows and will chase feeding rainbows into deeper holes and more cover...
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

I think akdodger nailed it. Fished Willow Saturday, saw piles of eggs, only caught two trout. Bellies were huge

They have been laying eggs for the better part of 2 weeks now. Maybe with this weather they will wash out, and fishing will pick up.

Here's hoping that the rains subside after flushing the glut out. And here's hoping more that the fall brings no floods and we can fish till freeze up.
    “The perils of duck hunting are great - especially for the duck.” Walter Cronkite

Ditto akdodger's two posts. Son and I had decent success a week ago, even with all the pinks. Once they are gone and a little flush of the systems with the rain, 'bows should concentrate a little more around the remaining chums and newly arriving coho who do not disperse as widely.

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    The Parks Hwy actually runs North and South for the most part. The upstream side of the Willow is the right side headed North, is actually East.
    I thought the poles were supposed to shift this year? Could be North South West South.