Thread: Totally depressed

Default Totally depressed

I'm feeling sorry for myself at the moment.
    I moved to Alaska last winter.
    I don't get to hunt this year. I've worked all summer, heck I haven't even gone fishing. Hopefully tomorrow ill get to go! But that's the only day this year I'll get to go.
    I'm turning 36 this week and this will be the first year in 24 I haven't gone big game hunting!
    I promised myself it will never happen again, but the more pictures my friends send, the worse I feel!

Hunt on a non-resident license.

Get through this busy spell and then put in place a plan that gives you more leisure time. You can look at the inside of four walls in a lot of places in this country - somewhat silly to live here if that's all you're doing. I would guess that if you are that busy, you are missing out on much more than hunting and fishing. There's more to life than 80-hour weeks. Do it when you need to, but make sure you allot time for living! Sorry to hear you are down. It sucks. But learn from it, and get out there! -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default Go Hunting now

Do go hunting; you can. You just can't pull the trigger. There's a heckuva lot more to gett'r done than pulling the trigger, especially for one new to Alaska - no offense intended; I mean this regardless of how experienced a hunter is elsewhere.

If no one to go hunt with (to help), consider taking a camera. If you can come back from your first season afield with a picture taken of a legal bull moose during the season, you'll be accomplishing a lot. Practice calling them in; learn when it works and when it doesn't, how & when & why they move, and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Do go hunting; you can. You just can't pull the trigger. There's a heckuva lot more to gett'r done than pulling the trigger, especially for one new to Alaska - no offense intended; I mean this regardless of how experienced a hunter is elsewhere.

If no one to go hunt with (to help), consider taking a camera. If you can come back from your first season afield with a picture taken of a legal bull moose during the season, you'll be accomplishing a lot. Practice calling them in; learn when it works and when it doesn't, how & when & why they move, and everything.
    What he said....seriously, throw your raingear and boots on, grab your rifle (empty) and binos, head out and do some scouting and getting some critters in your crosshairs...do you a world of good, and practice makes perfect. What are you going to do, hunt when you're dead? Or you could just put another tampax in and continue your whining, sweetheart
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

yeah you should definately be scouting because next year you'll be on here asking where to find everything....j/k but really get out there. I helped other people moose hunt the first year i was here because i couldn't hunt, never whined about it...you gotta pay your dues.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I don't get to hunt this year. I've worked all summer, heck I haven't even gone fishing. Hopefully tomorrow ill get to go! But that's the only day this year I'll get to go.
    I'm turning 36 this week and this will be the first year in 24 I haven't gone big game hunting!
    I promised myself it will never happen again, but the more pictures my friends send, the worse I feel!
    Hang in there. I have been in your position. Things always get better and you just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. It is expensive and time-consuming to hunt up here. I do have some advice though for what it's worth; there is a high value for finding walk-in areas to sheep hunt. A lot of people talk about it but only a few people actually walk-in and sheep hunt with success. Maybe you can start looking for a place to explore to have your own spot before next year's sheep season.

Finally, I and my ego have learned the hard way that all of us are in our present situations because of the choices we made at one time. At first, people don't like to admit this but when you boil it down, it's true. Make a commitment to yourself to never feel like this again and make it happen. Don't let any person, any job or any decision stop you from being what you want to be. You might feel old and like the clock is ticking on certain expectations or life accomplishments, but a lot of people start over from nothing in their 50's and 60's. YOU CAN FIX ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS. Good luck and although it might be painful, be happy for your friend's success. That could be you someday in those photos.

Go small game hunting! Chasing ptarmigan on the Denali hwy or Richardson hwy would be a super fun, beautiful and rewarding use of your time. You could spot areas for next fall maybe too.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

My biggest problem right now is time and location. After sacrificing my entire summer and foreseeable fall I've taken a different job.
    My new job doesn't pay nearly as much as the one I gave up, but has a 3x3 schedule. I work until sept20 and then I need to get my last load of stuff from Oregon and my pointer. I WILL BIRD HUNT THIS FALL!

My biggest problem right now is time and location. After sacrificing my entire summer and foreseeable fall I've taken a different job.
    My new job doesn't pay nearly as much as the one I gave up, but has a 3x3 schedule. I work until sept20 and then I need to get my last load of stuff from Oregon and my pointer. I WILL BIRD HUNT THIS FALL!
    Late September/early October is a great time to be out looking for moose. Bulls are in full rut and it is just fun to be out there, and watch and learn their behavior. The best part is there is nobody out in the woods compared to the zoo of 4-wheelers, airplanes, canoes, and hunters during moose season. It's amazing how by the end of hunting season it's tough to see a moose next to a heavily used trail, but come a week or two after hunting and there's finally some peace and quiet you will see moose right next to heavily used trails.

October is possibly my favorite month to be out in the field exploring. Plus don't overlook getting a non-resident license and black bear tag (I can't imagine it would be more than a couple hundred bucks), late september will still produce blackies and sometimes even October depending on how cold the weather gets.

I was kind of in you position last year, due to circumstances instead of getting my normal week or so to hunt in September, I had to go to work and was only able to get away for one weekend and it poured rain the whole time. But I stayed positive and got out in October and got some cool moose viewing opportunities and was able to bag a brown bear in the one day I had a chance to hunt for them.

bub,

I was in the same predicament as you in 2011. had a botany and zoology class that took precedence over the majority of moose hunting season. During one of my studies of a massive bull moose, I took a young student from Utah right into the heart of a herd. I taught him what happens when you imitate a challenging bull to this massive warrior. He stood, and tore trees out of the ground in rage. About 2/3 of the cows went to him, the other third congregated around my calls. FM met this young man, he still tells me to this day, that was one of the most amazing experienceds he's ever had. It was for me too, followed by a dry moose hunt afterwards. My teacher was upset with what we did, but I don't regret it. Those memories are just as special as the hunt. Though now, I'm chubby....from eating too much moose meat. Your instincts won't be smoldered out, your are a hunter, and that will soon prevail.