Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Mauled very severely, Brooks Range

Default Hunter Mauled very severely, Brooks Range

Anyone have more information about this........????

http://www.adn.com/2013/08/16/302876...s-rescued.html

The mauling victim was very fortunate to have qualified medical assistance from a nearby hunting party, hat's off to that gentleman! And, once again, we see a shining example of just how good the members of the armed forces stationed here in Alaska's extreme environment really are, well done!

I wish the victim a speedy and full recovery!

.....Ditto....

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    The mauling victim was very fortunate to have qualified medical assistance from a nearby hunting party, hat's off to that gentleman! And, once again, we see a shining example of just how good the members of the armed forces stationed here in Alaska's extreme environment really are, well done!

I wish the victim a speedy and full recovery!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Dang, that's a tough situation! Good on all those who jumped in to help, especially those who put themselves at risk for a gentleman they didn't even know.

As a side note, being that this went down in the Brooks, I would have referred to the bear as a grizzly. Authors discretion I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    The mauling victim was very fortunate to have qualified medical assistance from a nearby hunting party, hat's off to that gentleman!......
    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    .....Ditto....
    A third round of appreciation from here.

ADN reported that the man suffered out there with his potentially fatal injuries for some 36 hours. There were a lot of heroes out there that kept this guy alive, especially the medical professional who just happened to be nearby as well as the entire Air National Guard effort to get him out of there and to the hospital. And he, himself, must have had that will to live that is always crucial.

I wish him a full recovery.

sounds like that guys is pretty lucky to be around. nice job from the guys that saved him. really like to hear the full story on this one especially since he was with a guide...wonder if it got to him while they were sleeping.

Wow. That's one for the books, for sure. Pre-positioned aircraft, night rescue, PJ's with nvg's, illumination flares, aerial refueling... doesn't get any more dramatic than that. Someone could make a movie of that one.

Hat's off to the men on the ground who kept the guy alive for 36 hours. Amazing. Really makes you appreciate the skills of our rescue folks up here. They're second to none.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Wow. That's one for the books, for sure. Pre-positioned aircraft, night rescue, PJ's with nvg's, illumination flares, aerial refueling... doesn't get any more dramatic than that. Someone could make a movie of that one.

Hat's off to the men on the ground who kept the guy alive for 36 hours. Amazing. Really makes you appreciate the skills of our rescue folks up here. They're second to none.

Mike
    Had the exact same thought. Not to make light of the victim's injuries or pending recovery but that is quite a story and could easily make it into a book or movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brain View Post
    And he, himself, must have had that will to live that is always crucial.
    Something I hope none of us ever have to find out......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes...and something every one of us ponders.

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    Yes...and something every one of us ponders.
    Indeed....

It never ceases to amaze me as to how fragile the human body can be at one time, and yet how incredibly strong it can be at another. I lost a buddy awhile back. While he lay in the hospital fighting for his life, the rest of his body had pretty much shut down, but his heart was so very strong and wanted to keep going. It was sad really as needless to say, it kept him here for quite awhile.

I remember reading "Alaska's Wolf Man". Here was this tuff seasoned Alaskan that almost succumbed to a mosquito bite......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I don't mean to throw stones, but an Alaska Registered Guide is tasked with his client's health, safety, and welfare. I'd like to hear the complete story on this one . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Unfortunately, I get tested on a regular basis on that one. I just about met my maker just this past November. It was also a remarkable story.

The will to live is powerful, indeed.

One more thing: once, as I spiritually fought for my life on a gurney as a young man, a "medical professional" worked on me while calmly talking to me. I was never able to talk to him later when I had recovered, but I will never forget that one-way conversation that he had with me. I believe that his words were every bit as critical to my survival then as his medical actions.

My bet is that for the 36 hours the mauling victim agonized in pain, people there were talking to him like that, and that it bolstered his will to live.

PJ's are serious, serious dudes. Always get the job done!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    I don't mean to throw stones, but an Alaska Registered Guide is tasked with his client's health, safety, and welfare. I'd like to hear the complete story on this one . . . . .
    Bear maulings are less commonplace than car crashes. If the guy had gotten into a wreck on the Seward Highway, would you make the parallel claim that his guide should have been responsible for his safety? I'm not a guide, but I take people out into the woods pretty commonly. I let them know about the danger of bears and how to best mitigate it, but I don't guarantee that I will protect them. Nobody does, because nobody could. Unless the guide failed to meet a reasonable standard of care in mitigating bear danger, nobody can blame the guide.

Brooks grizzlies are pretty scary compared to other populations of brown bears more accustomed to humans. I believe there have been two confirmed predatory bear-human kills in the last decade or so, both in the Brooks range. (That said, because I don't remember seeing confirmation that the Denali Park killing of a photographer in recent years was definitely predatory. I don't think they were sure.) More bear maulings have occurred in the more populated areas of the state, simply because there are more people interacting with more bears, but those have almost exclusively been bears being startled and acting defensively. I think one or both of the predator kills I'm referring to involved bears attacking people sleeping in tents. That's some "worst nightmare" shtuff right there...
    My signature is awesome.

Oops, forgot about Grizzly Man - what's-his-name. Although I think the bear killed him simply because his lease was up.
    My signature is awesome.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    What's your point?

I sure hope he pulls through alright. Incredible story for sure, even just the small part we know.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Bad year for bears in the Brooks, a couple parties have been chased off the Noatak by aggressive bears charging. The guy north of AKP was not able to get out due to weather. I talked to the pilot in that camp when I was leaving AKP, climbing out for Fairbanks. He wanted to know if he could get into AKP from the North. He said he had a badly injured man in camp who was mauled by a bear. I told him it looked like clouds to the ground north of AKP. He stated that Barrow search and rescue had not been able to get in there due to low clouds/fog. The guard went in yesterday and got them is what I heard in AKP today....

I too (like everyone else here I imagine) am very interested to hear the hunter or guide's account of what happened. It may be some stretch of time before that happens. Events like this are exactly the reason you will find me carrying bear spray, large caliber handgun, and an ELB 100% of the time afield. This year I am also bringing in a custom WWG .45-70 Guide Gun due to persistent grizzlies around our moose camp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast