Thread: flourocarbon fishing lines, good , bad, or indifferent? favorite spinning rod lines?

Default flourocarbon fishing lines, good , bad, or indifferent? favorite spinning rod lines?

Need to buy some new line for my spinning rods. I've been using P-line for a few years, and was wondering if anyone has opinions on the flourocarbon lines? I know they are heavier, less visible in water, but hows the memory on these? Right now I'm fishing for silvers & trout in streams and usually use P-line 6-8lb test on my spinning rods. There's got to be some line that's durable, AND easy casting w/ low memory. Seems you always have to give up one or the other with most lines. Any advice, or input on what lines you've been happy with would be great!

I've only used fluorocarbon for leader, I usually use Ande or Maxima ultra green on my spinning rods.

Don't fill your reel with fluorocarbon. It has memory and open your bail and it will just start jumping off the spool before you cast.I like it for leader but that's it. Put some more P-line on.

Fluorocarbon is great for leaders and tippet. I use Maxima Ultra Green almost always for my spinning reels.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

While it does have more memory than mono, I think it will be a step up for you in the 6-8 lb test range for stream use. The memory won't be anything that a few casts and fish can't take care of. I was turned on to fluorocarbon tippet for fly fishing many years ago and have since begun using it on my spinning reels, too. IMO it' stronger, lasts longer, and ties on helluva tough knot than mono. The downside is the cost, as I'm sure you've already noticed!

I will revisit this thread and update in a week or so. Just a couple days ago I spooled up a reel with 17 lb Berkley Vanish for use Valdez silvers. Previously I've used only 6-10 lb fluorocarbon, so this will be a new experience for me. I've already noticed excessive memory in this line during some test casting, but want to at least give it a shot during the real thing. I gotta believe that a fish or two will straighten things out!

I would go with gamma, seaguar or trilene 100% flouro. That vanish stuff is garbage and has cost me some nice fish. Keep in mind flour doesn't break down unlike mono, and will stay in the ecosystem for a long time