Thread: Ruger conversion

Default Ruger conversion

I am considering sending in my 3 screw Ruger .41 mag Blackhawk to Ruger for the safety conversion. Not really worried about shooting myself in the butt, however, I wouldn't mind having six rounds useable. I was told by Ruger that no physical alteration will be made to the gun, only parts exchange and that all the old parts will be returned to me. I have used Ruger's Customer Service in the past and they have dealt straight up with me. Anyone had this conversion done and were the parts returned? Turn around time, they told me, was 4-6 weeks and they pay the shipping. Thanks

Yup. Had it done lots, and no sweat. They'll send the BH back to you in the standard yellow/black Ruger box, with the original parts in a small ziploc bag. I just label the box and bag, then store them together so there won't be any mixup ten years down the road.

Default conversion

They will do absolutely what they say they will and you will be pleased if they find any worn parts they will also replace them at no charge also. Good shooting Ronnie

Default Ruger conversion

Thanks for the input. It's nice to know that Ruger still gives as good service as always. There is excessive end play/ excessive gap between end of barrel and front of cylinder. Perhaps they'll address that too.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Does the gun function the same? By that I mean, does it still have the half cock, and the stop on the cylinder, or is it free wheeling like the new models?

I have a Single Six, and a Bearcat, but I dunno if I want them changed.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North

Default Ruger Conversion

From what they told me, the gun will function like a standard new model, meaning that you just open the loading gate and the cylinder turns. The "click" of the cylinder will not line up as with the old model and half-cock, or the loading position will no longer exist. You won't have the same sounds when you cock the hammer back. I had originally wanted to send the gun in to address an excessive cylinder end play problem and they won't work omn the gun unless I have it converted to the transfer bar system.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

mauserboy:
    Thanks.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Shooting High

Good words mauserboy,

I have the same gun, and the same consideration about getting the mod done. My gun shoots about 8-10" high at 25 yds, even with rear sight (a low blade) fully down. Contacted Ruger about combining the transfer bar mod with some kind of mod to bring impact point down, haven't heard back yet. Hope to combine shipping costs, get my gun modernized, and allow hitting point of aim.

Mort