Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: leupold boone and crockett reticle vs cds

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Talkeetna, AK
    Posts
    29

    Default leupold boone and crockett reticle vs cds

    I'm looking at outfitting my 300 RUM with a new scope, and I'm torn between the Leupold B&C reticle and the CDS. I do my own reloading so I think I can count on some consistency in my loads for the CDS. I just don't know anyone who has use this to ask.

    Thanks for any information.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Buy neither.... Zeiss conquest with rapid z Radical.....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

  3. #3
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    i'd echo what akmike said. i don't own a zeiss but my buddy got one on his gun (RZ-8) i believe and its accurate as be. i guess its been shooting out to extreme ranges with amazing results.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I have both the B&C and the CDS. I would advise the CDS, especially if you reload. My theory is that for the ranges you need this, you have time to dial and hold dead on. This is more accurate (my opinion) than the b&c holdover. My CDS is very simple, totally repeatable, and good to the max distance I have shot to, which is 675 yards.

  5. #5
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    CDS. I have a VX-2 4x12x40 CDS and I like it better than my Zeiss Conquest. I can't say enough great things about it. I got one to try out for my B-Team but it became my A-Team this year. First time I used it, zeroed in at 100 yards, put on CDS dial and turned it to 300 yards, shot 2 inch group. Crazy good, but don't take my word. Research. I don't think too many companies even make bad scopes anymore.

  6. #6

    Default

    I have 3 different CDS's and I think they are great. This past weekend, while hunting caribou, I was sitting on a ridge and ranged 3 caribou at 402 yds directly across me on the opposing side. I turned the turret on the CDS to 400yds and squeezed the trigger on the 25-06. Perfect hit and the caribou flipped backwards! Gotta love those TTSX's too!

    I did at one time own Zeiss Conquests. A good scope for the money, but for ME the reticle was way too thick for some shots. I just prefer the Leupolds and especially since they make it w/ the CDS.

    Another good thing, if you want to change the scope from one rifle to another, like a 25-06 to a 300 wsm, just call Leupold and they can make you a different turret for around $69.00.

  7. #7
    Member shphtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,376

    Default BDC turret

    Based on prior performance get the Leupold CDS system or equiv from Swarovski, Leica, Kenton, or others. I use a CDS dial on Leupold Mark 4's for spendy Asian sheep and ibex hunts. One overlooked option with this type of system is that when you have the dial cut you can specify both altitude and temperature of your anticipated shooting situation - this can make a sig difference if significantly different from your zeroing conditions. I usually have dials made up for 4K, 8K and 12K elevation with anticipated temperatures for those altitudes. Remember that temp decreases about 4 degrees per 1000 ft. gain in elevation. You will also be better of with a 200 yd zero. With lots of range time for practice (I usually shoot between 500 to 1000 shots with my anticipated hunting load per hunt) if the cross wind componet is minimal, with a good trigger squeez, shots are pretty much a slam dunk to 500 yds or so. You will be even more accurate if you combine your BDC turret with the new Leica Geovid HD-B's with your custom ballistics info loaded on the micro chip. Good luck
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Talkeetna, AK
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Thank you all for the information it will for sure help. Happy hunting in the next month and on

  9. #9
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Based on prior performance get the Leupold CDS system or equiv from Swarovski, Leica, Kenton, or others. I use a CDS dial on Leupold Mark 4's for spendy Asian sheep and ibex hunts. One overlooked option with this type of system is that when you have the dial cut you can specify both altitude and temperature of your anticipated shooting situation - this can make a sig difference if significantly different from your zeroing conditions. I usually have dials made up for 4K, 8K and 12K elevation with anticipated temperatures for those altitudes. Remember that temp decreases about 4 degrees per 1000 ft. gain in elevation. You will also be better of with a 200 yd zero. With lots of range time for practice (I usually shoot between 500 to 1000 shots with my anticipated hunting load per hunt) if the cross wind componet is minimal, with a good trigger squeez, shots are pretty much a slam dunk to 500 yds or so. You will be even more accurate if you combine your BDC turret with the new Leica Geovid HD-B's with your custom ballistics info loaded on the micro chip. Good luck
    You are my hero. That is an awesome commitment to excellence.

  10. #10
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Based on prior performance get the Leupold CDS system or equiv from Swarovski, Leica, Kenton, or others. I use a CDS dial on Leupold Mark 4's for spendy Asian sheep and ibex hunts. One overlooked option with this type of system is that when you have the dial cut you can specify both altitude and temperature of your anticipated shooting situation - this can make a sig difference if significantly different from your zeroing conditions. I usually have dials made up for 4K, 8K and 12K elevation with anticipated temperatures for those altitudes.
    If I live at sea level, how do I set up a CDS dial for working at altitude? Lets say the CDS is for 6000 feet. And there will be no way to test shoot upon arrival at the hunt area.

  11. #11

    Default

    Cut two CDs dials, one to sight in with at sea level, then take it off and use the other one. That's what I hid, worked awesome.

  12. #12
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    If I live at sea level, how do I set up a CDS dial for working at altitude? Lets say the CDS is for 6000 feet. And there will be no way to test shoot upon arrival at the hunt area.
    This problem ate at me for a while so I called Leupold and talked to an engineer. He said that my sea level 500 yard mark would only be 1.4" inches high at 10,000 foot level for my loads. TRANSLATION: There is no reason to pay for a higher altitude dial. I was not terribly surprised.

  13. #13
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    This problem ate at me for a while so I called Leupold and talked to an engineer. He said that my sea level 500 yard mark would only be 1.4" inches high at 10,000 foot level for my loads. TRANSLATION: There is no reason to pay for a higher altitude dial. I was not terribly surprised.
    Since I asked my question I ran some basic numbers through an exbal program. You are right there is little variation under standard conditions at increasing elevation at distances under 500 yards.

    I guess if a shooter was concerned about MOA accuracy they can build a range card just for elevations and base that on one CDS dial.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •