Thread: Gerstle River grizzly

Default Gerstle River grizzly

Anyone familar with this area? Have heard there are lots of griz around there. Its between Tok and Delta Junction. Pretty much heading up there to look around. Looking for area's with a higher concentration of bears, but
    accessable with highway vehicle.
    Any info would be great. Have never travelled North of Tok on the Alaska
    hwy.

Been back in there a couple times sheep hunting. I've seen HUGE tracks and thankfully not what made them! We were smelling like a sheep sandwich! I saw a big one one year this time of the year on the highway once. There are trails that go up in there. But, you end up on the military Gerstle Training Area. You need to get a Recreational Access Permit to be on that land. No biggie, it's free. Just go to Ft. Greely, Ft. Rich or FWW and they'll give you one.

The Gerstle does hold many grizzlies, I have seen them on black bear baits in there and they leave their tracks all over the place. There are some true monsters in there but, the terrain is not ideal for hunting grizzlys. Its heavily timbered with Birch and Spruce with some alders mixed in. If you are using a highway vehicle to access it you are going to need some serious hiking shoes. The places that open up a little better for spotting a griz are miles in on the trails (where Snyd went sheep hunting). Lots of guys go in there with wheelers and snowmachines each spring looking for them and few are successful. Its big country with great hiding places for bears. Not saying it cant be done but its less than ideal unless you have lots of time to A) Cover lots of ground, and B) Lots of time glassing once you have covered lots of ground. I can think of much better places for a guy on foot to hunt griz, the Gerstle aint one of them. Either way good luck.

Default other area's

AkCub, I'm open for other area's. Looking for, say a 2 mile hike in to a
    descent glassing area. Has it started to green-up up there?