Thread: Willow creek float questions

Default Willow creek float questions

My buddy and I are going to float the willow in kayaks and do some fishing tomorrow. I have fished it a lot but never floated it before. Where are the ideal places to put in and take out at? We would like to keep it to a day float. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It all depends on how much "floating" vs "fishing" you want to do. I float to fish and bridge to mouth is a day's float. Same for Shirleytown Rd to the bridge. If you have more fun "floating", I imagine you could squeeze Shirleytown to the mouth in a long day.

Easy access at the bridge on the Parks Hwy (or just above at Deception Creek) and take out in the campground at the mouth. You can spend a whole day working the holes hard or float straight through in a couple of hours. Lots of downed timber but should not be an issue for kayaks.

I just did that float from Shirleytown to the mouth of Deception. Took about 5 hours messing around. The river has changed a lot since last year and there are some places you should walk through.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Ak cowboy did you see a lot of fish that far up? I'd like to catch some salmon and some 'bows also

If memory serves, and by all means check the regs before relying on my memory, salmon is closed upstream of the Parks Hwy.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    If memory serves, and by all means check the regs before relying on my memory, salmon is closed upstream of the Parks Hwy.
    Except for kings, it's open up to the confluence of Deception Creek. As mentioned, still check the regs on page 28.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter8 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. Ak cowboy did you see a lot of fish that far up? I'd like to catch some salmon and some 'bows also
    There were a million pinks running around, maybe 100 spawned out kings, and some chums down low. The trout were hanging out in the deep holes staying out of the sun and getting fat lol

Ill check the regs tonight. I always check regs and EO's before I go out. Thanks for the heads up though I'd hate to get a ticket for something I did not know.