Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new boat, Anc or Seattle?

Default Buying a new boat, Anc or Seattle?

Looking at buying a new inboard or low hour boat, probably another weldcraft. I like the 12* hull and between 21-24' range. Possible a diesel so looking at pw's and weldcrafts. Stopped in at a dealer in Anchorage when I was there last and the sales guy seemed rushed and disinterested. Didn't care for that so it doesn't matter to me if I buy local or from Seattle. Anyone purchase and ship a boat from WA lately?

Just bought a 24ft aluminum ocean boat in Seattle in JUN. Would have cost $3800 to barge it up but spent $2800 instead using USip.com and getting bids. I was very happy w/ the guy that hauled ours on the ALCAN. Can get you contact info if you're interested. Let me know if you need more info.

It cost $5500 to barge up a 27' Maxweld. Tried Uship and got totally screwed . . . won't do that again.

Quote Originally Posted by stroganof View Post
    It cost $5500 to barge up a 27' Maxweld. Tried Uship and got totally screwed . . . won't do that again.
    I went through the same type of thing when I purchased my boat in Seattle area several years ago. I ended up putting it on the Alaska Ferry. It cost a pretty penny, but after thinking of: the ware and tear on the trailer, tires, brakes, rock chips, extra tires as spares, bouncing down a long stretch of sometimes horrible roads, chance of an accident, etc.... I decided that saving that $1000 or so dollars was just not worth it. I am pretty tight with my $ and it was hard to do, but it was much less stress than worrying the "possibilities" along the road.

Just had my 28 Duckworth shipped up in May with Alaska Logistics to Seward. Pretty happy with them and the price was the lowest barge quote I could find.

We had our Alaska 27 shipped up from Bellingham on the ferry at the end of June. It was cheaper than the barge lines and, I think, less exposed to potential damage.

Alaska Logistics to Seward on my 25' Parker I went thru Uship to get up here from Florida. The low bidder happened to be on Shipping Wars tv program. Well needless to say I lost 3000.00 & it took me all summer to get it here after they went bankrupt so be carefull. Coming from the NW I'd tow it myself or barge it. If you decide to have it hauled make sure you meet the party face to face before & don't pay more than 50% till delivery. On a boat that big your better off barging as wide load permits can be a pain in canada

I bet you will get the same boat for 10k less in Seattle!

So how does one go about finding out what the permit requirements are for towing a boat from the lower 48 across Canada on the Alcan to Alaska? I'm looking at buying a 24' to 30' boat next year and towing it from where ever I buy it. The reason I want to tow it is because I have only things I need to purchase in the lower 48 that cost to much to ship here. I towed a 21' jet boat from WA to Alaska and then later back to Oregon and had no problems or new of any permits I needed to have and it was 8' wide.

Why not keep the money instate? Kinda hard to grow an economy when many people send their big purchases out of state. Many good boat builders up here and just think if there are any problems you will have much better luck getting them resolved. Support your own state

I wanted to keep my purchase in state, but I got better customer service from the out of state dealer and saved about $4k going out of state.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Why not keep the money instate? Kinda hard to grow an economy when many people send their big purchases out of state. Many good boat builders up here and just think if there are any problems you will have much better luck getting them resolved. Support your own state
    When the sorry lot of boat stealers in town decide to treat customers right and not gouge prices then they will deserve folks buying boats in state. Most folks work and save way to long and hard to get treated the way they do. I've only had dealings with one dealer in town for a G3 package and i was LIED to and made to feel like that dealer was the high and mighty OZ of boats. Never again. Dealing with used car dealers is like dealing with the Pope compared to hearing some of the stories my customers have told me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan9974 View Post
    Looking at buying a new inboard or low hour boat, probably another weldcraft. I like the 12* hull and between 21-24' range. Possible a diesel so looking at pw's and weldcrafts. Stopped in at a dealer in Anchorage when I was there last and the sales guy seemed rushed and disinterested. Didn't care for that so it doesn't matter to me if I buy local or from Seattle. Anyone purchase and ship a boat from WA lately?
    Alaska boat dealers in general seem pretty disinterested. I've been completely ignored multiple times while doing walk-throughs. Kind of drives me nuts. The boat show is the same. If one guy seems interested, every salesperson from whatever company gets involved and ignores everyone else with questions. I was looking at Kingfisher's a few years back and every salesman from the company that sells them was preoccupied with one guy. And they had like 6 or 8 salesmen. It was ridiculous. I've gotten more feedback and answers to questions and personal attention from Wooldridge in WA even though I've prefaced everything with "I'm not ready to buy yet, but I have questions about...." When I am ready to buy my dream boat, they'll probably get my business even if it costs a little more. And I'll go directly through them, not the local store that sells them, because they've ignored me every time I've been there.

If you order a new boat at MSRP for spring delivery, AK Frontier Fab is offering free shipping to AK. Offer is available on most models.

If your looking at weldcraft give Reed's in Fairbanks a call.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    Because when you live up north, come into town for a few days and don't have much time to spend running around, it is very annoying when you go to a business ready to make a purchase and get as much help as if you are in a grocery store. The builders down there seem to value the $ more then some dealer's up here.

I stopped in at wooldridge one time and their customer service was amazing. I had made it clear I was only shopping for used back then and just wanted to check out their place. I've never been on the ferry system before but it sounds like a good excuse for a trip, I'll definitely look into it. I'll give reed's and Ak fab a call, as I am not familiar with either.

Just sad to hear, I was always looking used so never talked to many. The one I did talk to and really like their boats was silver streak. That's what I ended up buying to, the one problem I did have was.....

the owner before me converted it to outboard but didn't change the transom angle, so when I went and talked with glen (i think) he sold me two used wedges and charged me $65 I thought he was honest so I took his word and found out later that they are usually only $35 so now I will be looking for someone eles to change the transom and tunnel it, I would do it but haven't dine much aluminum welding and want it done right so I will be talking with ak fab behind six robbs they were very good to me helping me in any way when I was looking and picking their brains. Good guys over there.

So is there a market for river boats in Alaska that has someone that wants your business? Would love to see more money stay in the state enough leaves with all the slopers that come up, kinda bugs me.

I have had the same problems, I don't have a lot of money to throw around and am planing on trying to buy a jet boat this spring and have been doing a lot of research on boat packages, motors, hulls new and used and what best suits me and my family's needs. Trying to talk to dealers in store or over the phone is a nightmare they don't seem to care unless you are of those guys who can flash a fist sized roll of hundreds,Or they don't have a lot of knowledge about what they are selling. The price for used boats is out of control I personally can't see paying twenty or thirty grand for a ten to twenty year old boat so I can see why people are going out of state to buy boats, it seems to be a lot cheaper in most cases and the people you talk to just seem to really want to help you out. If I could afford it I would be buying a wooldridge and I would go to Washington to get it, customer service and word of mouth is everything in the sales world.

Jeff Leadens in Soldotna does amazing repairs and modifications on aluminum boats.
    dominic

I like the idea of doing business with Alaskans, but if I can get a boat in the Lower 48 for $4,000 less than I can from a dealer in AK then I'll buy in the Lower 48. If I'm buying from the Alaska dealer, then I'm basically pulling $4,000 out of my pocket and handing it to him. Same problem with medical costs in Alaska vs. Lower 48. Even some insurance companies are now sending Alaskans to Seattle for surgeries, putting up a caregiver in a Seattle hotel, providing food, etc. because with all that it still saves money over having surgeries in AK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast