Thread: Fires Fairbanks North/South/East/West

Default Fires Fairbanks North/South/East/West

If you have a float hunt planned for anything around the Fairbanks area i.e. Chena, Salcha, Wood, Clear Creek, Good Pastor, Birch, Delta River, Tanana River, Beaver etc.... please take the time to review the AK BLM Fire Web Site.

http://fire.ak.blm.gov/

There are many potential problems with a float hunt as of today. Hopefully we will get some much needed rain to help with the fires and water levels. Been a darn dry record setting summer to say the least.

There are something like 70 plus active fires and over 500 to date planning is important to ensure your safety.

Birch Creek fire is over 26K acres

we also have a fire up on Caribou Creek and Victoria Creek.

They have opened the Chena Rec area again as of today but if we dry out and heat up!

Tok and Delta Junction areas.

http://fire.ak.blm.gov/content/news/...e%20Update.pdf

http://fire.ak.blm.gov/content/news/...date%20(1).pdf

Please take the time to review the Map and plan accordingly. Might have to have a plan B on short notice.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/acti...maps&rCode=aki

Here's a good website for checking on active fires as well, click on the jpg image for a larger view, and click again for an even larger view than the first image...
    "Grin and Bear It"

Any fires and or maps of area north of Bethel in unit 18?

Default Modis Fire Map

Sure Elksnout, the link I posted....if you look at the very top of the page you will see five choices, one is the whole state of Alaska, click on that and if you know the whereabouts of Bethel you can look there. There is another choice up top, all the United States, you can click on that one and it will give you a choice of different states, just click on a state and you can see what fires are going on all over. Hope that helps some.

As for Topo or other maps, Google can surely be useful if you just ask it!
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by elksnout View Post
    Any fires and or maps of area north of Bethel in unit 18?
    There were no real noteworthy fires in the area North of Bethel this year, and that area is getting pretty wet now.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Currently getting rain in Delta......hopefully the fires will be squelched.

Also, hunters need to be aware of access permits required to hunt on military lands. Fires have caused training to be delayed and/or moved to other locations. The military is getting very serious about enforcing access rules.

Default From notta to thank you

Seems the powers to be have blessed us with a couple of days of rain and maybe more on the way. Just enough would be great! :-)

Great news! Thanks for the update!

the Birch creek fire is small and contained and I imagine with all the rain we've been getting here it won't be a problem for anybody who wants to float the upper end.......
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Yepper some places in the AK ranged received 5 inches of good old Alaska Liquid Sunshine in two days. Fairbanks Area almost 3/4 of an inch prior to yesterday's I am going to rain all day. Things are better that is for sure. Still fires out there just put down a bunch.