Thread: 2011 sport jet 200 dfi power loss

Default 2011 sport jet 200 dfi power loss

So I'm cruising up the Chena river at about 4300 rpm and all of a sudden I started losing power and sounds like engine is knocking. Luckily I'm right next to a state camp ground with boat launch so I idle over to the bank with a trail of black smoke behind. Engine has only 94 hours and been maintained well. No alarms sounded, plenty of oil. Will start up but rpm is jumpy like its misfiring or missing cylinders running terribly. Anyone familiar with these symptoms?? I'd appreciate any insight on the matter before I bring it to a dealer.

You check your reeds. Alaska outdoors man his did same thing and it turned out to be his reeds.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Fuel delivery problem jumps out at me as ground zero on where to start. Anything from bad gas, to water in fuel, to bad filter, to fuel line issue...then there are all the electrical issues with fuel delivery. Hope that gives you a "basic" start on where to look.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks Guys! I can only hope it's a fuel delivery problem and not a mechanical engine failure of some sort. Got a bad feeling about it. Please not be blown piston(s). Brought it to the dealer but they're backed up with work and won't be able to diagnose it for 1-2 weeks. Looks like my September moose hunt down the Yukon is in jeopardy... Bummer!

Let us know what you find out.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Knocking and loss of power doesnt sound like a fuel issue, not likely reeds either.

Black smoke is from uncombusted fuel, either too much fuel or not enough compression to prepare the fuel for combustion, knocking you can hear over a 4300 rpm sportjet is gonna be mechanical, hope it was the compressor that went t u . Compressors are known to fail but they usually make 500 yo 800 hrs or more, overheating yhe compressor from pluged up cooling can shorten its life.
    Compressor would be best case, grenaded piston my next guess, hard tellin on the www.

I don't think I heard the knocking as much as I felt it. For a second I thought I slightly scraped river bottom until power started falling. I don't have the time, tools or diagnostic equipment to do it myself right now. I would just rather have a mechanic who's familiar with these engines take a look, then take out another loan for the repair, lol. Sucks! So until they get to it I can only speculate and wish it's a blown compressor and the knocking was combustion related. My pocket is Already hurting...

I had same symptoms, my alternator belt was snapped, if that air pump isn't spinning causes havoc. Could be something stupid. My boat had 30 hrs. Turned out to be bad alternator bearing. It failed due to max tension on tensioner pulley, bearing seized causing belt to snap. Crazy thing was the belt was resting right under the plastic engine cover unnoticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackem View Post
    I had same symptoms, my alternator belt was snapped, if that air pump isn't spinning causes havoc. Could be something stupid. My boat had 30 hrs. Turned out to be bad alternator bearing. It failed due to max tension on tensioner pulley, bearing seized causing belt to snap. Crazy thing was the belt was resting right under the plastic engine cover unnoticeable.
    Were you cruising when the belt snapped? If so, were there any abrupt changes that you could feel through the hull/drive system? Black smoke? Thanks!

@Hackem, you pointed me in the right direction. I feel like an idiot, o well haha. I just got off the north slope and I go to the dealership and they still haven't looked at the darn thing 'luckily'. So I go find it in their yard and lift the plastic cover and discover that the belt is loose as a goose! Come to find out the spring on the belt tensioner had broke. The lower ear on the spring had sheared off due to vibration, faulty part or whatever. After 2 weeks of boaters depression and reading every fricken forum on the www this was all it was Learning a lot about these sensitive DFI 2 cycles. The Yukon hunt is still on woohoo!!! Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nulato_Wolf View Post
    @Hackem, you pointed me in the right direction. I feel like an idiot, o well haha. I just got off the north slope and I go to the dealership and they still haven't looked at the darn thing 'luckily'. So I go find it in their yard and lift the plastic cover and discover that the belt is loose as a goose! Come to find out the spring on the belt tensioner had broke. The lower ear on the spring had sheared off due to vibration, faulty part or whatever. After 2 weeks of boaters depression and reading every fricken forum on the www this was all it was Learning a lot about these sensitive DFI 2 cycles. The Yukon hunt is still on woohoo!!! Thanks again.
    Exact same thing just happened to my 200SJ sounds to be a common problem now, that's two of us in a short amount of time. I might pick up a spare for next time.

It's a quick fix unless you're on the water. Gotta pull the darn flywheel just to get the tensioner off. So you gotta get a wrench on the drive shaft through the grate. I paid 30.00$ for the new spring and 99.00$ for the flywheel puller. Now I keep an extra spring and belt as well.

Nulato, I'm glad you fixed your boat. One thing I wanted to let you know as well. The stock mercury belt puts to much tension on the tensioner pulley. ( the tensioner pulley will be maxed out) this causes the alternator bearing to collapse. So the fix is go with the aftermarket belt replacement ( not Mercury belt) I'm drawing a blank at moment of the name of the aftermarket belt. I wound up having to replace my alternator. The aftermarket belt keeps the tensioner pulley in the middle. The belt is slightly longer in length. I rarely go on the forum and remembered this thread and was checking it out and wanted you to know this as well