Thread: anyone have 30 carbine ruger revolver?

Default anyone have 30 carbine ruger revolver?

please let me know your impressions of the revolver.

easy shooting fun gun.

I had one years ago 7 1/2 " extremely loud got rid of it quick.

Had a few through the years,not as usefull as a 38/357 or the 32H&R in the little singlesix.Back 25 years ago when milsup 30cal was dirt cheap it made fun plinking but with todays ammo prices 38 feels better.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I had one years ago 7 1/2 " extremely loud got rid of it quick.
    Shot one once and it was loud. Same recoil as a 44 mag. Accurate and well made.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Shot one once and it was loud. Same recoil as a 44 mag. Accurate and well made.

Ron
    Mine were no nowhere near the rcoil of a 44mag.

I've owned two over the years, acquiring each after I made a score on large quantities of surp military ball ammo. Once I shot up all the ball, I always ended up loading them with cast bullets at moderate velocities. Ultimately smarted up each time and went to a 32-20 after the first, a 32 H&R Mag after the second for my cast bullet shooting.

I'd own another if someone dumped a bunch of cheap ammo on me, but would get rid of it again once that was used up. Just never found a niche for the round itself other than plinking. Have a lot more uses for 357 mag for hot loads, and 32 mag and 32-20 for cast loads.

No reflection on the quality of the gun, rather my take on the usefulness of the round in a handgun.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

At one time I had both the Ruger 30 carbine Blackhawk and the AMT Auto Mag III which was also chambered in 30 carbine. I did not reload back then and only used surplus or factory ammo. Both guns fired and functioned just fine (despite the very crude craftsmanship evident in the AMT) and were accurate for me at normal pistol ranges. The Ruger was typical in regards to quality, as any other Blackhawk of that period, which is to say, good to excellent. Recoil is subjective, but I suppose I would class it as being similar to a 357 Mag.. perhaps a bit less. At any rate, it was not excessive enough to induce the flinchies.. The muzzle blast / report, is however in a class all its own! On two occasions I was not so politely asked to leave an indoor shooting range because it was knocking the acoustical likes loose from their mounts on the ceiling above my position causing dust and other crap to fall onto other shooters.. it should also be noted that the excessive muzzle blast is also accompanied by an impressive, night vision destroying flash. Being a reloader, if I came across one for the right price, say $200 ish, I would probably snag it up, cast bullets for it, and load with some sort of fast burning pistol powder. If I didn’t have the means to reload for it, then I would likely pass it up in favor of a Blackhawk in 357 Mag.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Recoil is subjective, but I suppose I would class it as being similar to a 357 Mag.. perhaps a bit less.... The muzzle blast / report, is however in a class all its own!
    Good summary. I'd compare it with a 357 using 110 grain bullets- lots less than 158's, but heavier and quicker than even +P 38's.

I lived and worked in west texas and new mexico in the late sixties. I had a mail order carbine and when the ruger came out got one. thougt it was neat to have rifle and pistol in same chambering. I have probably shot thousands of jackrabbits over the years I lived in that country with 100 grain cast or speer "plinkers". The pistol seemed to out shine anything anyone else had at time when it came to taking jacks at really long pistol range. Maybe my memory is wrong but it seems everyone had a blackhawk in 30 carb after a few years. They were lots of fun and cheap. What did you say, oh yup, they were loud.

I had one many moons ago as well as the AMT III. Interesting round in a handgun but the short barrel limits the potential- I didn't get velocities near what you could expect in a carbine barrel.

The Ruger was pretty good quality. The AMT was nothing but a hassle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

IMHO, pretty eneimic. Don't shoot one of these without ear protection both plugs and phones!
    Steve