Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone have a 30 carbine bolt action or lever rifle??

Default anyone have a 30 carbine bolt action or lever rifle??

anyone have one of these?

Interesting, I'm no expert, but I don't believe I've ever heard of 30 carbine anything other than the autos and the Ruger SA Revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    Interesting, I'm no expert, but I don't believe I've ever heard of 30 carbine anything other than the autos and the Ruger SA Revolver.
    The Marlin Model 62 or a 94 Winchester. A levergun in 30 carbine would be kinda cool and what a great caliber for a kid. Dang it Mainer, just when I thought my levergun corral was complete!

after these insane rimfire shortages, I'm eye-balling a complete switch to 30 carbine in both a revolver and a lever rifle. Speer makes a 110 grain bonded deep curl bullet that is as cheap as dirt. The bullet would place the same velocity out of a pistol, as a 22 magnum(1400 fps) and about 1800 fps out of a carbine rifle, but with a 50 percent heavier projectile. They will not expand on small game, but will expand on humans, lynx, wolf, ect. So for a winter rifle, camp meat rifle, camp meat pistol, home protection.......it would behave like an overgrown 22 magnum IMO. With the lower velocity, I don't see those little deepcurls having the ability to damage small game. I'd imagine they'd expand when they're supposed to, and not expand in the smaller stuff.

Not to mention, the accuracy potential might be a bit better using handloads over a 22 magnum. With 22 magnum, i've gotten misfires, and with some ammo, serious spreads in velocity, some being as much as 80 fps. After buying new production 22 magnum, my favorite hunting loads took a serious hit in quality. They now have serious velocity spread, and more frequently occurring misfires. That must be because of the ramped-up production I'd assume. Fine tuned 30 carbine handloads would certainly eliminate that. Plus, the little 30 carbine cartridges are puny, and weigh very little.

It's the shortages and fear buying that has me ready to write-off the rimfire. The valley and anchorage scum-bags who post it in alaska's list for $80 for a brick of american eagle.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    The Marlin Levermatic was the only LA Rifle I can think of, chambered for that cartridge.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

yes smitty, they're always all over gunbroker.

I've been around a couple of them, and if those were representative, accuracy will disappoint you.

Many years ago a bud made up a single shot on a small Martini action. I don't recall the construction details, but with open sights (and young eyes) it would cut cloverleaf groups at 50 yards and often drop to a little over an inch at 100 using his pet cast bullet load. Knowing him, it was launched with a mild charge of Unique. IIRC (we're talking over 40 years ago, now) it was a Douglas premium barrel featuring a 1:16 twist. He was after max accuracy, and I doubt his loads topped 1300fps.

OK- I just read this after your 30 Carbine handgun thread. I get what you're after now. I think the 30 Carbine in either a rifle or a pistol will disappoint. The big attraction to the .30 Carb phase was scads and scads of dirt cheap ammo and them days are pretty much over.

For a reloadable, small game and winter cartridge I love the .22 Hornet and in the new stuff the .327 Federal (will also shoot .32 S&W and >32 H&R) looks to be the modern 32-20. Good stuff for what you're doing. A friend's custom single shot 32-20 might be the most accurate rifle I've ever fired- scary accurate and practically recoiless.

I've thought about the whole rimfire thing too and I think I could replace my .22s with a good quality 25 cal air rifle for household pest control and a .357/38 Carbine for small game and plinking and be pretty happy.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

hodge, yes, if that 327 ever made it's way into a rifle, I'd give that one a try. It's not difficult to get 30 carbine for about $5 for a box of 50 when you post up for it wanted. I know of a guy who has at least 600 rnds of Norma 30 carbine. Would make some good target-time, with some equally good brass. I can't get over how small a box of 20 30 carbine catridges are. Very light-weight. Ruger still sells a 30 carbine revolver, and I do routinely see the levermatics for sale on gunbroker.

Hope the accuracy is decent with a new in box ruger single action 30 carbine, or with a used levermatic

Lots of 32/20s in M92 Winchesters around and it can be found in revolvers as well. Not quite a 30 Car but close enough it won't matter. Also lots of 38/357s in both LAs and handguns which gives a much better range of power than either the 32/20 or the 30Car. The 30Car in the Ruger is a round I would never shoot without earplugs which I usually don't wear when roaming the woods.

yes, I noticed new in box uberti 32/20's and plenty of model 92's in 32/20. certainly a worthy cartridge to write off rimfires for good.

Mike why not get a millitary M-1 over the levermatic. I carried the M-2 for most of two years in VN and it was bullet proof,the VC were not
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

yes Will,

those little carbines sure are small n lightweight, certainly a viable option. 32/20 avail both in both a revolver/rifle or a 30 carbine avail in a revolver/rifle.

get decent one, and slap a new barrel on it. Nice broken in action with a brand new barrel would make a good project:

http://criterionbarrels.com/productpages/M1Carbine.html

With that said, last year, Fulton armory began making brand new m1 carbine receivers, as well as completely new carbines with match-grade barrels. They want a pretty penny for them though.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/carbineuscal30m1-1.aspx

Hmmm 327mag lever rifle. I’ll have to look into that, shouldn’t be that hard on a 92. Are there suitable .312” bullets out there for that kind of velocity? Also wonder if the round will stand the test of time. I been kicking around the idea of a 10mm 92 also, I like the old two guns same ammo theory and 10mm should be formidable from a carbine.

I've tried 30 carbine as a hunting round and wasn't impressed with it. I’d far rather go the 38/357 route . . . Or even just down load a 30-30.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    . . . Or even just down load a 30-30.
    Now you're making hay. The 30-30 is a sweet cast bullet round, but you can use Plinkers and such if you don't cast. Nice to have the option of full-power loads in the same gun.

My favorite rimfire replacement is the 25/20 in a 92Win but it's not available in a revolver. The easiest to get would be a revolver/rifle in 38/357 and ammo is available from mild to wild as well as brass, bullets and cast boolits. Probably the least expensive as well.

some pictures of that fulton armory rifle. Brand new parts, newly machined receivers, brand new walnut made by boyds gunstocks with an oil finish and new barrels. It can be had with a scout rail for optics. I'd personally remove the bayonet provisions, just to shave weight, and go with the little 5 rnd magazines instead. Find a charge weight of alliant 2400 that will cycle the rifle, but don't go for max velocity. I'd imagine with that new kreiger/criterion barrel, this thing would drive tacs. That walnut and parkerized finish is a great combo.

I think you're right Amigo, those m1 style carbines kind of define the words compact and handy

Initial 100 yd accuracy of these fulton armory carbines is insane. I read one story, of a guy who went from horrible rankings, to winning a gold metal after a re-tool of his m1 carbine by the fulton armory folks. This was a cmp m1 carbine match.

I have a Marlin 1894C in 38/357 and the accuracy and power is quite nice out of a 18" levergun. I have loaded 148gr double ended wad cutters to some very low velocities but still deadly on small game and relitivly quiet, to hot 357 200gr hard cast that i would not hesitate to use on larger game at close range. casting makes it cheaper than 22lr by a long shot, and more bullet choices and alot more umph than 30 carbine. just my 2 cents.

Mariner I'm sure you have a 30-06 or 308. Why not just use a 30 carbine chamber adapter and shoot 30 carbine out of the 30-06/308 ? No need for another rifle and you can carry it in your pocket with a hand full of ammo.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast