Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 99

Thread: Squatter Cabin

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default Squatter Cabin

    Found this while scouting a hunting area. Checked all of DNR records and this is State land so without any other information IMO this is a squatters cabin. Cabin is well camoflauged with trees, twigs, and spruce branches on the roof. If this is your cabin or you know whose cabin it is PM me or have the owner PM me. I am not law enforcement and I'm not interested in ruining what you got going, but I will be driving through your front yard as I enjoy public use of public land.

    squatter cabin.JPGsquatter cabin 2.JPG

  2. #2
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    why would anyone be obligated to private message you? chill out rambo.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    If we want to talk about obligations then this person is obligated to tear there stuff down after 14 days, unless they have a permit of some kind allowing them to use the public land for longer than normal (mining, etc.), but checking all the places I know to check I can't find any permits. I'm just trying to be neighborly and PM'ing is the best way to protect what this person has invested in time and labor but also allow me to communicate with them as I will be in the area.

    So you're right no one is obligated to do contact me. But I might feel obliged to tear it all down, haul it out, or use it myself as from where I sit and with the information I have its on public land.

    Thanks for the advice. I'll be chilling on the front porch of that cabin in a couple of weeks.

  4. #4

    Default

    If its on public land then sounds like some nice fella made a nice lil public use cabin. Why in earth do you think they should have to contact you? Use as you need or want and leave it better than it was when you got there!!!!

    Just think if people didn't sit high on their horse and thought more like this how many ccool cabins there would be out in the woods for all to use! But no we want to see others suffer and see it torn down and all the while riding an ATV were anyone with respect for the land wouldn't ride one, keep sitting high.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    If we want to talk about obligations then this person is obligated to tear there stuff down after 14 days. I'm just trying to be neighborly.
    Sure am glad I'm not your neighbor!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    If its on public land then sounds like some nice fella made a nice lil public use cabin. Why in earth do you think they should have to contact you? Use as you need or want and leave it better than it was when you got there!!!!

    Just think if people didn't sit high on their horse and thought more like this how many ccool cabins there would be out in the woods for all to use! But no we want to see others suffer and see it torn down and all the while riding an ATV were anyone with respect for the land wouldn't ride one, keep sitting high.
    Agreed. If I knew who built it then I could work out using it when they weren't around or not planning on using it. If I wanted it torn down I have the means and ability to do that or I could have called it in. I'm just trying to get in touch withe person who built it that's all.

  7. #7
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    "hey" my name is so n so. thanks for calling....I posted pictures of your cabin on the largest hunting forum in Alaska. I have the means to tear it down, it's nowhere on any dnr map. why is your cabin there?"


    holy crap.....that conversation would be so STUPID!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    "hey" my name is so n so. thanks for calling....I posted pictures of your cabin on the largest hunting forum in Alaska. I have the means to tear it down, it's nowhere on any dnr map. why is your cabin there?"


    holy crap.....that conversation would be so STUPID!
    Huh, well I imagined it going something like this,

    "Hey, you found my cabin."
    "Yep, when are you usually in the area?"
    "Sept 1 through Sept 15 usually."
    "Cool, I'm going to be in the area AugXXX and Sept XXX, maybe I'll stop in and say, Hi."

    And other such Bsing that occurs when two hunters meet in the field.

    In my original post I never said that the person "must" contact me and I never implied that I was going to tear it down. You took a perfectly neutral request for information and turned it into a phallic symbol measuring contest, so I responded.

    For the record, my pics have no distinguishing terrain characteristics and I provided no location information. If the person wants to contact me they can. If not, so be it.

    Someone also mentioned using it. Well, this person went through a lot of trouble to make it NOT accessible for others unlike other "squatter cabins" that I have come across which are a "Use it if its empty and leave it better than you found it." This cabin is boarded up, locked up, and the only way in without a key would cause damage to the cabin. I'm not even interested in using it. I was merely curious as to whose it was.

  9. #9
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    I expect there's hundreds of "squatter" or "trespass" cabins scattered around on state land; sometimes they burn up in wildfires, sometimes they fall apart....I've stayed in a few, here and there....never heard tell of anyone demolishing one in some kind of vigilante wet dream but I imagine it happens...state doesn't seem to mind em....might build one myself one day, either on state or CIRI land
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  10. #10
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Gawd, I miss the Alaska where people minded their own business and were happy for small blessings like an empty cabin with a ready wood supply.

  11. #11
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    ....might build one myself one day, either on state or CIRI land
    Ha ha! Me too Dubbin!

  12. #12
    Member pa 5-0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    ...state doesn't seem to mind em....might build one myself one day, either on state or CIRI land
    I don't know the regs but in many different episodes of AK State Troopers they hike into State land and inform people that their make shift cabin/home and themselves need to be go.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Soldonta, Alaska
    Posts
    315

    Default

    This could be someones trapping cabin. If its where you want to hunt you could probably use it. Just leave it as you found it. There are cabins all over this country that are permited and have a lease. Have a great hunting season. Remember that cabin is private property.

  14. #14
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Found this while scouting a hunting area. Checked all of DNR records and this is State land so without any other information IMO this is a squatters cabin. Cabin is well camoflauged with trees, twigs, and spruce branches on the roof. If this is your cabin or you know whose cabin it is PM me or have the owner PM me. I am not law enforcement and I'm not interested in ruining what you got going, but I will be driving through your front yard as I enjoy public use of public land.

    squatter cabin.JPGsquatter cabin 2.JPG
    So rude. Glad you were man enough to reply and explain a little.

  15. #15

    Default

    Here's a thought, leave a note on the front door with your contact information and see if the owner/user of the cabin responds. I'm not a betting man, but I'll bet that if you ask them what dates are available for your use of the cabin you won't be hearing from anyone! If all you truly want to do is drive through "their" front yard then go for it and introduce yourself if they happen to be there. Strange thread, but good luck hunting this fall.

  16. #16
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    OMG! Some dude is trying to find out who built a little shack on state land... Let's hang him!!! What the fudge is so wrong with that? I miss the time when if you didn't have anything nice to say, you kept your trap shut and moved on.

    BTW, the state DNR most certainly does go out and destroy trespass cabins that are built illegally on public land. And no, dropping a shack on state land does not make it private property. Looks like litter to me and it should be "cleaned up". I'd say it's quite a bit worse than leaving a few bits of surveyors flagging hanging in the woods. Talk about selective outrage.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    OMG! Some dude is trying to find out who built a little shack on state land... Let's hang him!!! What the fudge is so wrong with that? I miss the time when if you didn't have anything nice to say, you kept your trap shut and moved on.

    BTW, the state DNR most certainly does go out and destroy trespass cabins that are built illegally on public land. And no, dropping a shack on state land does not make it private property. Looks like litter to me and it should be "cleaned up". I'd say it's quite a bit worse than leaving a few bits of surveyors flagging hanging in the woods. Talk about selective outrage.
    And if you find a new raft on the bank after a flood is it litter, how about if you come by a wheeler that's sat for awhile is this litter?

    there was a time when we didn't need the government to tell us what's allowed!! If you build a cabin and improve the land then that's a good thing, expect if you build on public land then someone eles may use it if that's you then cut a bit if firewood or do something to help!


    and I miss the day when people could leave well enough alone!!!!!!! Go one your way and enjoy, if you want to help the land then stop the wheelers from tearing it up!!

  18. #18
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Alrighty then mooney, by all means let's just open the flood gates for every schmuck to go drop a POS shack anywhere he wants without restriction. Give it a decade and your forest will look like the Anchorage hillside, the trails will be even worse from hauling all those crap-shack parts in there, and all the moose will be shot or driven off.

    Or, people could just use a tent. And take it home with them when they leave. Which way do you want it?
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  19. #19
    Member fishingyoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    538

    Default

    If we don't need the government to tell us what's up then I here by claim all of alaska as my personal property. All of you tresspassers please leave or else!

    there was a time when we didn't need the government to tell us what's allowed!! If you build a cabin and improve the land then that's a good thing, expect if you build on public land then someone eles may use it if that's you then cut a bit if firewood or do something to help!


    and I miss the day when people could leave well enough alone!!!!!!! Go one your way and enjoy, if you want to help the land then stop the wheelers from tearing it up!![/QUOTE]

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Alrighty then mooney, by all means let's just open the flood gates for every schmuck to go drop a POS shack anywhere he wants without restriction. Give it a decade and your forest will look like the Anchorage hillside, the trails will be even worse from hauling all those crap-shack parts in there, and all the moose will be shot or driven off.

    Or, people could just use a tent. And take it home with them when they leave. Which way do you want it?
    I don't care what kind of blowen out of proportion you want make it. What I'm saying is respect the land first! Then have some respect for the ones that were there before you!!!! And I bet you are one of the first guys to tell someone that they need to go back south cause you been here for x-years!!

    And You are giving way to much ambition to the weekend hunter. If people had some RESPECT then just think of how few issues we would have.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •