Thread: Unit 20B moose hunters? Steese HW North East of Fairbanks..

Default Unit 20B moose hunters? Steese HW North East of Fairbanks..

I got a draw for a cow moose in unit 20B this year. I've never really been in the area but hear is has a healthy moose population. Looking at the map it's NE or fairbanks between the steese HW and Chena hot springs road.
    Anyone ever hunt moose up there and willing to give some advice on best places to start? 4 wheeler access or is better to look into boat/ float access?

Thanks.

I took my daughter out this morning for her DM722 tag. We saw 4 moose. One cow in the rear view mirror while driving out to where we wanted to hike in. We never did find her in the woods. We went in a ways and bumped a bull and what looked like a cow out of their beds. We followed up the hill and got within 120 yard of the 40" bull, then worked our way around him to see the other moose. Finally about 100 yards up I spotted the other moose and saw two spikes sticking out of his head. The bigger bull was about 75 yards away staring at us.

While headed back down the hill, my daughter spotted another bull on the next ridge over. This one was 50-55" range. We held in that area for a while glassing, then decided to pack it in for the morning and give it another shot.

You just gotta get out there and find some public land to move around in. Get off the roads and into the hills a little. Do some google earth exploring and find meadows and sloughs off the beaten path. Be out there at first light.

Good to know. Do you think it's better access from the Steese HW or chenna hot springs road?

Which tag is it?

cow Dm727 in unit 20B

Go to CHSR

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Go to CHSR
    LOL!!!

Here's your map.... The Steese pretty much parallels the Chatanika river. Stick a raft in and make it a few day float. Still have plenty of time to plan an easy float hunt on this stretch.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu.../pdf/dm725.pdf
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74