Thread: Thinking about a Radisson 16' square back

Default Thinking about a Radisson 16' square back

What are your thoughts and feelings about the Radisson 16' square back.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Nobody own one or float one?

I used to have one when I lived in Michigan. I don't think there is a better hunting canoe out there, light, quiet, stable, and floats in very little water. If I found one at a good price I'd snap it up in a hurry.

Ron,

The type of waters you want to boat in and your intended use are unstated, but those are both key to answering your question.

That's a very small canoe compared to most you see hunters using. If you're looking for a rig for 2 guys and little gear and no big water, that would likely be a fine rig. Especially if you're car topping it or portaging (great with that Radisson).

But if you're camping, and have a buddy, and want to bring some caribou back, you might find it lacking. Just a passenger makes for very little freeboard.

If you're thinking moose you'll quite likely want a larger canoe. If you ever want to go on mid sized lakes that can blow up some waves most afternoons (that's like all of them I think), you might want more freeboard.

Myself, I like more beam, more carrying capacity, and more freeboard. My squareback canoe (Scott Albany) is about 3 feet longer than the Radisson, a solid foot more beam, far more freeboard, and with over double the capacity.

Also, since you're planning a move here, you might very well be more assured bringing that canoe with you; nice large canoes here are rare and in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Ron,

The type of waters you want to boat in and your intended use are unstated, but those are both key to answering your question.

That's a very small canoe compared to most you see hunters using. If you're looking for a rig for 2 guys and little gear and no big water, that would likely be a fine rig. Especially if you're car topping it or portaging (great with that Radisson).

But if you're camping, and have a buddy, and want to bring some caribou back, you might find it lacking. Just a passenger makes for very little freeboard.

If you're thinking moose you'll quite likely want a larger canoe. If you ever want to go on mid sized lakes that can blow up some waves most afternoons (that's like all of them I think), you might want more freeboard.

Myself, I like more beam, more carrying capacity, and more freeboard. My squareback canoe (Scott Albany) is about 3 feet longer than the Radisson, a solid foot more beam, far more freeboard, and with over double the capacity.

Also, since you're planning a move here, you might very well be more assured bringing that canoe with you; nice large canoes here are rare and in demand.
    All excellent points. Right now its for the wife and I. We are thinking smaller rivers. I sold my sylvan two weeks ago and will be looking for a flat bottom jet next year. To be honest my only experience is with the 14' sportspal.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble