Thread: 10'-3" MONSTER Brown Bear Upper Kenai Peninsula

Default 10'-3" MONSTER Brown Bear Upper Kenai Peninsula

Registration opens today for the first time in decades hunters can hunt the MONSTERS of the Kenai.

So far this year the widest front pad track I have seen is 8 1/2" indicating a very nice 9'-6" Brown Bear, I only seen him once in mid April.

Three years ago we had a Monster on Sixmile Creek, he was over 10' and his belly was about 7" off the ground, and very swayed back, he was ponderous, seen him often that summer, his front pad was 9 1/4" wide. Have not seen him the last few years.

There are "SOME" monster nine & ten foot Brown Bears on the Kenai Peninsula..........BUT there are a "LOT" of 8 foot Brown Bears.

If you live in South Central Alaska..........I don't think you will find a cheaper Brown Bear hunt.

What's the quota this year?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    What's the quota this year?

Not sure there is a quota for this hunt..................shows it as Open September 1'st to May 31'st

What's the approximate/average date they den up down that way? I've got a week off around Halloween. I've never hunted down there but am more than willing to attempt to thin the herd for you guys...

PMs graciously accepted btw lol

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

AGL, I was picking fiddleheads out your way this spring along six mile. There were some very large tracks on the opposite side bank, there is more than one big guy out there for sure.

Don,t you have to salvage all the meat, on this hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Don,t you have to salvage all the meat, on this hunt?
    I don't have the regs at hand, but from memory, the increased salvage requirements apply to hunting browns over bait, not to spot and stalk hunters. As for me, I'm going to be pretty reluctant on any incidental bears this fall. I've always wanted to do a ski-based hunt for browns, and I think next April in the Kenai mountains may be the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    What's the approximate/average date they den up down that way?
    Of course they're all going to den up at different times.........some fight it all the way and some go in early. I've seen them out and about as late as the first week of Nov. on the hillside chowin' down....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I don't have the regs at hand, but from memory, the increased salvage requirements apply to hunting browns over bait, not to spot and stalk hunters.
    You're right...meat salvage only pertains to over bait. It's treated the same way as black bear over bait....

AGL I didn't know you wanted more Anchorage and Valley folks on the Kenai...and here I thought we just got rid of them for another year.

yeah! I thought the "dingleberry of alaska" (cdubbin) was only good for one thing: Coming down there, not spending a dime, and dipnetting/taking all your salmon!

Now, I'm gonna come down there and take all your bears too! The ones I don't take....I'm gonna teach them how to ride bikes. What do you think of those apples?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You're right...meat salvage only pertains to over bait. It's treated the same way as black bear over bait....
    Check out p24 of the regs. Salvage for brown bears and black bears is different. For BBs you must salvage the neck, ribs and brisket. In the case of blacks, the salvage of the 1/4s and loins is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Gunner View Post
    Check out p24 of the regs. Salvage for brown bears and black bears is different. For BBs you must salvage the neck, ribs and brisket. In the case of blacks, the salvage of the 1/4s and loins is required.
    I don't need to check it out. All I meant was that they do indeed treat it like black bears....meaning salvaging the meat. As to how much, you can check the regs.........

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    yeah! I thought the "dingleberry of alaska" (cdubbin) was only good for one thing: Coming down there, not spending a dime, and dipnetting/taking all your salmon!

Now, I'm gonna come down there and take all your bears too! The ones I don't take....I'm gonna teach them how to ride bikes. What do you think of those apples?
    Hahahahahahhaa this is hilarious!!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    Hahahahahahhaa this is hilarious!!

Don't you dare patronize me, or my devotion and love of teaching bears to ride bicycles.

HuntAK59, you don't have any clue of what I've been through.

You don't know what it's like, to look in the eyes of a poor little monkey, as a bear that YOU TRAINED, decided to munch on that lil monkey's cranium!

That's probably the only pleasure that poor slave bear ever had, and probably that dumb monkey had it coming.
    BTW, I think the bear rides better than I.

After june 1st you dont have to salvage black bears and never have to salvage browns unless over bait

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Don't you dare patronize me, or my devotion and love of teaching bears to ride bicycles.

HuntAK59, you don't have any clue of what I've been through.

You don't know what it's like, to look in the eyes of a poor little monkey, as a bear that YOU TRAINED, decided to munch on that lil monkey's cranium!

Wowwww. That's insane! The bear didn't kill all the people too? Absolutely crazy
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.