Thread: smoking salmon question

Default smoking salmon question

This may have been asked before, but i cant seem to find the answer. is there a way to home process smoked salmon and it not have to be refrigerated or frozen?? I am talking about the packages for tourists that you buy in the store, not canned salmon. Help!

Default Good question. . .

Good question. . . I'd like to know the answer too. . .

Salmon strips is basically the same process as making jerky with meat. You cut salmon into strips, leaving the skin on a side of each strip, hang and cold smoke and then dry. You can then baggie them up or put them in a paper sack and they should last a good long while, just like jerky.

You left out one step in the usual process, Mark.
    The strips are soaked in a brine. Soak time depends on how strong you make your brine. This also helps with preservation.
    However, from my experience, once the strips are bagged, they need to be kept in the freezer. They may develope mold if they aren't.
    You could try vacuum bags, but I suspect even those could become moldy in time.
    You can also can smoked salmon strips.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I can our smoked fish in jars in the pressure cooker! That way they will keep a long time, and the brine is not always necessary. Usually we just gobble it right up anyways! I can't handle too much salt so I use soy sauce-brown sugar and assorted spice mixture for soaking the fish in before smoking.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I think you'll have to either freeze or can smoked salmon for long term storage. I make salmon strips that are fairly dry, but if they aren't kept in the freezer the oil in the fish goes rancid. I've even had problem's with the oils going rancid if the ambient temp is in the 70's while they are drying on the racks. I dry brine the salmon, put it on the racks for a day with the fan running to form a pellicle, cold smoke for several hours (however long the alder logs take to smolder away to nothing) then put the fan back in for a couple of days to dry them out.

Default smoked salmon

We had a lot of salmon from Jim Creek to bring back to WI last Aug.
    We thawed and smoked most of it. Using brown sugar & canning salt.
    Almost 1/2 & 1/2 (a little less salt) Let it sit for about 6 hrs and then
    wash it very good. Let dry off. When smoked I canned some of it & vacuum packed some to put in freezer. Both were very good.
    Were in AK for the mo of Aug. This yr July & part of Aug. looking for Hallibut this yr. and salmon. Fishergirl & husband