Thread: Searching for a good outfitter

Default Searching for a good outfitter

I am finally at a point in my career where I can get serious about hunting. I am looking for a good, reasonably priced outfitter that can supply unguided, outfitted, drop camp hunting experiences. If your good and I like you I will plan all my hunting trips with you. Next year I want to go for caribou. The year after that moose. The sky is the limit after that. I am strictly interested in meat hunts at first and maybe trophy hunts later on. Priority one is filling the freezer right now. 2 to 3 people in the party. I don't want to deal with the rat race and hunt with 50 people around. If any one has any suggestions. Don't hesitate to point me in the right direction.

Good LUCK...............Your expectations are not reasonable, maybe 40 years ago, but not to day.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Good LUCK...............Your expectations are not reasonable, maybe 40 years ago, but not to day.
    Totally not true. There is excellent hunting to be had out there and there are a number of reputable outfitters and guides to help along the way. Don't buy in to the sky is falling mentality. Yes, there are crowds and constant airplane drone in some places, but there is peace and solitude to be found for those who seek it.

I don't have any first-hand recommendations on outfitters, but good luck in your search.

You're going to pay outfitter rates for a meat hunt? Congratulations on your financial success.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by AKUllr66 View Post
    I am finally at a point in my career where I can get serious about hunting. I am looking for a good, reasonably priced outfitter that can supply unguided, outfitted, drop camp hunting experiences. If your good and I like you I will plan all my hunting trips with you. Next year I want to go for caribou. The year after that moose. The sky is the limit after that. I am strictly interested in meat hunts at first and maybe trophy hunts later on. Priority one is filling the freezer right now. 2 to 3 people in the party. I don't want to deal with the rat race and hunt with 50 people around. If any one has any suggestions. Don't hesitate to point me in the right direction.
    Haha ok maybe I should provide some examples. Talon Air Service, Stoney River Lodge, and Alaskan Adventures offer drop camp services that were in the ball game of what I am looking for. I am thinking I want to hunt the Mulchatna herd. Has anyone used any of these services? Or know of one similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    You're going to pay outfitter rates for a meat hunt? Congratulations on your financial success.
    Why would you even care what he does with his money? He asked a question about an outfitter and you answer with some stupid remark.

Yeah, lets not turn this into an "Archery Talk" forum!

Ok...I will bite. There are plenty of us out there who fit your profile and can do a great job for you.

Look us up at www.northwestalaska.net

Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Float hunts & Drop Camps
    Unit 23-Kotz
    907-259-4290

Where do you plan on doing this, hard to recommend someone if we dont know what part of the state you'd like to hunt... If you are heading to the Brooks range I always use Mike McCray of 70 North... He is not an outfitter but can put you in a good place, and is a great guy.... Alot of people use him on this forum just search 70 NOrth... Good Luck

Premium Member

I'm looking for the same sort of thing, being an experienced hunter from the 48 but new to Alaska. This is a tough place to find hunting partners. Drop me a line if you need a seat filled.

Haha ok maybe I should provide some examples. Talon Air Service, Stoney River Lodge, and Alaskan Adventures offer drop camp services that were in the ball game of what I am looking for. I am thinking I want to hunt the Mulchatna herd. Has anyone used any of these services? Or know of one similar?
    I agree with Brian. There's a ton of good hunting and outfitters still out there. There are those that would lead you to believe Alaska is done so they can keep it to themselves. Not true. That said, I highly recommend these 3 personally from a professional working experience. I'm sure there's more like them out there that are also good. NOTE: research the Mulchatna herd before you get too excited. Talk to outfitters and biologist and plan accordingly. Lots of places to go in Alaska.

http://pbadventures.com/hunting

http://www.renfroalaskanadventures.com/

http://www.alaskapike.com/guided-innoko-moose-hunting

GOOD LUCK!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel