Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surveyor's tape...

Default Surveyor's tape...

Thought I would throw this one out while I wait for rifle season to start: How do you feel about leaving surveyor's tape out in the field? I know virtually all of us carry it to mark kill sites, help us keep our bearings, etc., but do you leave your tape in the field for months/years? What about tearing down other folk's tape?

The reason I ask is I met a couple of guys scouting for cow moose before season as I was going to check on a trail cam. I gave them some good info, and went on my way. Further up the valley, on a fairly major hiking trail I found two trees right by the trail where they had hung about 6ft of tape. Above was another huge streamer on a rock outcropping -- all within easy sight of the trail. Kind of a rookie mistake by folks who obviously don't know the area well, as the tape meant every hiker and hunter could clearly see where they were planning to hunt. All that do say, I'm curious about everyone's "taping philosophy": both how long you keep it up and if/when you remove other people's tape...

No tape for me and I remove old tape. I prefer twisted twig or light bark scrape.Always scrape the proper side of the tree,the return trip side.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I use it sparingly and often leave it....cool to come back to a spot years later and take a look see.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Take it down. Everybody likes to think they've been the first person there. Besides, it's unsightly.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

They make biodegradable surveyors tape, can't remember where I got it but it lasts about a year.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If left up its littering!

Use a gps.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Use a gps.
    Naw I get super offended by the blinky lights on the satellites....unsightly
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

GPS. Never use tape in summer or for hunting. Unless it's "fresh", I remove old tape that has notable sun fade. Fresh tape might be from surveyors or miners or some other "official" purpose, so I wouldn't mess with it. The last thing I'd think if I saw some tape in the woods was that it was marking someone's hunting area. Whatever. I could give less than a rat's patootie where someone else is planning to hunt. There are no secret spots and none of ya have exclusive hunting rights to any square foot of public use lands.

Now, that said, I use a bunch of tape in the winter. First thing I do when there's enough snow to get the snowmachine around is go out and redress the junction tape on the trail systems around my area (remove last year's and put up fresh stuff). Most of those trails run through swamps with sparse black spruce and since it's dark most of the time, it's really easy to get turned around. A few proper placements of reflectors and bright tape give you the landmarks needed to get around.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

if I use it, I take it down. If I find it, I remove it, old or young, unless it's obviously marking a corner post or something official. If I do need it up for whatever reason for awhile, I use the dark green tape that is hard to see unless your looking for it or know it's there.
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

If I put it up I take it down. I'm also a big fan of the dark blue and green tapes for marking trails.

sent from my igloo

They make biodegradable surveyors tape, can't remember where I got it but it lasts about a year.
    I think most people call it toilet paper.

I will use it to mark a kill but I take it down as soon as the meat is packed out. I also pickup any old tape that I find. It is littering.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    That's funny right there...I don't care who ya are. Now to clean the coffee off my keyboard!!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Oh brother...
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I use it to mark my kills if I have to come back to them - have found that it ticks off ole Griz and he usually see's to it that it gets tore down. If it ain't there when I git back - I go in real sneaky like.

If it goes up, it comes down. Leaving it after your use is done is littering. Last thing I am interested in seeing while out in the back country is a bunch of other people's plastic trash fluttering in the breeze. It's really not that hard to pull down while carrying out that last load.

Very commen for trappers to leave it out to find their trails/traps the following year. You would be amazed how much things change on your line after a 12" snow fall, even when you use the same trail year after year. To be honest I tear down my tape used to mark sets and also the tape I use as an attractent for lynx sets BUT leave out the few pieces used to mark trails and intersections along the line. I rarely use tape while hunting and if I do I always remove, even if it means a special trip after done hauling meat out. Just another point of view..

Most of my trapping trails are blazed. I guess that can also be unsightly, but don't know of any other human coming across them <grin>. I did take up the old-time practice of using a small tomato-paste sized can in lieu of blazing on some trails, stuck atop a young, small cutoff tree, after coming across old traplines from the '40s out this way where I ran across those. Interesting way of blazing. Tape doesn't hold up very long from what I've seen, but I hate finding it from other hunters who blaze kill sites with it and always take it down. What's real neat on traplines, Steve, and others ... you get to a tree you blazed and it's way the heck up there and you realize that was one helluva snow year!

I only use the biodegradable stuff and fully intend to remove it before I vacate the area.
    I will remove any old and faded pieces found on public land if no official purpose for it is apparent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast