Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That one item......

Default That one item......

O.K., you're going on a ten day remote fly in float moose hunt. You have a strict weight limit. What is the one (maybe unusual) item you don't go without. I've asked a few people I know and heard everything from a come-a-long to a machete to a chain saw filled with vegatable oil instead of bar oil (for quartering moose).

I may take tons of matches, and lighters too.....but I will never go without my fire starter in my pack......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I may take tons of matches, and lighters too.....but I will never go without my fire starter in my pack......
    Best advice can't stay warm without fire!

A small packet of spices for tenderloin over the fire. The survival stuff is obvious - think what would make a great hunt just that much better.

erotic pictures of your significant other.....you will come home alive after missing one leg and one arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    .....The survival stuff is obvious....
    Really?.........for some maybe, but not for all.......

Really?.........for some maybe, but not for all.......
    I wasn't criticizing your post. My point is that "that one item" could very well start at a tent, then boots, then a lighter, etc. etc. etc. There are things that no sane person should go into the Alaskan wilderness without, and then there are those handful of things that make life just a little sweeter when out there. A nip of bourbon around the flickering fire, a bit of cajun rub on fresh tenderloin, a cup of quality coffee while the first light filters through the foggy river bottom - these are the things that make the heart warm when wet, cold, and tired. Maybe I'm missing the point of the thread, but those are my "that one item" items - the survival stuff is like saying remember to breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the point of the thread, but those are my "that one item" items - the survival stuff is like saying remember to breathe.
    No, I'm sure you're not missing the point of the thread, and I agree with the spices as well. I just posted the fire starter because personally I've seen many that think because they have lots of matches and lighters they are good to go. Not everybody thinks of a back up fire starter. It was only a reminder to those that don't.......

Fire number one,all else is gravy
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

For exactly the hunt you describe: I never go in without a 4' x 8' piece of white Tyvek which I can use as a ground cloth or a tarp. It's waterproof and can be used as an emergency shelter in downpours. Throw it over your gear if needed. Great for butchering; lay the boned meat or quarters on it before bagging. Use it to cover the carcass if you have to return later. If you hang meat bags, Tyvek makes a great reflective shade tarp to keep sun off. You can wash it and reuse it. A piece that size folds up very small and weighs just ounces in the bottom of my pack. The best part is the cost. I had a partial roll left from a project and have been making my own tarps from it for years.

Prescribed Medication and a bottle of Motrin

A weapon can't cook anything if you don't kill it first.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

aside from the personal safety gear...

something to SIT on... 10 days on the ground or your heals... gets sore after awhile.. a buckt or a light chair.. anything
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    For exactly the hunt you describe: I never go in without a 4' x 8' piece of white Tyvek which I can use as a ground cloth or a tarp. It's waterproof and can be used as an emergency shelter in downpours. Throw it over your gear if needed. Great for butchering; lay the boned meat or quarters on it before bagging. Use it to cover the carcass if you have to return later. If you hang meat bags, Tyvek makes a great reflective shade tarp to keep sun off. You can wash it and reuse it. A piece that size folds up very small and weighs just ounces in the bottom of my pack. The best part is the cost. I had a partial roll left from a project and have been making my own tarps from it for years.
    Great idea...!!!

Fire starter ranks first for me, followed by a couple rolls of good electrical tape and a spool of heavy braided fishing line. Always handy to hang stuff or lash stuff down with and very lightweight...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Rubber gloves to protect your hands when your butchering an animal.

Great idea...!!!
    That is a great idea! Thanks.

Paperback book for when waiting out weather in the tent. It can be progressively cut down for both fire starter and if the TP runs out.

This thread needs to keep going, great ideas being thrown out. They tyvek one is going to become standard packing now.

I second the bucket idea. If you have to go 10 or 12 days with no sort of elevated seat, it's something you'll appreciate. I buy a brand new 5 gallon paint bucket with snap-down gasketed lid every year. Into the bucket goes all my Mountain House, oatmeal, coffee, etc. I pack that dude high and tight, then it goes on the Super Cub. In camp the bucket has many uses: Food storage. Seat. Bathtub. Water bucket. Clothes washer. Emergency pooper. Bear hazer/bongo drum. The list goes on. It's a great trash can for bringing out all those non-burnables for disposable. Try one and you'll likely never go in without it again.

Coffee.

Plain n simple. A fresh, kickass cup of java coupled with a healthy dose of Carolannes.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast