Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Brooks Range Griz aged

Default Northern Brooks Range Griz aged

My brother talked to the ADFG yesterday - his sow was 22 years old. My boar was 4. The ADFG fellow told him that was about the oldest Brooks range bear they have aged.

What, no pics???

How big was she?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Ya would love to know a size difference between the two.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

P1010351 ronnie Griz blacked out.jpgP1010491 randy griz.jpgThey were both right at 6 foot. Her hide was a bit lighter and her nails were really long and white. There are pix on here somewhere........

How did the skull measurements compare between the two bears?

Default 34 year old Moose

Back in the 90's my old hunting partner killed a 50' Bull Moose near Nome, when he got the information back from F&G the info said the Bull was 34 years old, he called F&G and spoke with a Biologist in the Nome office, who told him there was a mistake and thanked him for bringing it to his attention, as it would have really thrown his numbers off. THe Bull was actually 3 to 4 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    My brother talked to the ADFG yesterday - his sow was 22 years old. My boar was 4. The ADFG fellow told him that was about the oldest Brooks range bear they have aged.

This sow was really old. She wanted us for food....made it a bit exciting. Her teeth were really poor. Some bears are aged up to 30 years old, but none from the brooks apparently get that old. Those mountain bears have tough lives. I don't remember the skull measurements - will have to get back on that one. The sow took a 225 grain TTSX through her left cheek below the eye - brother had many pieces to glue together.

This sow was really old. She wanted us for food....made it a bit exciting. Her teeth were really poor. Some bears are aged up to 30 years old, but none from the brooks apparently get that old. Those mountain bears have tough lives. I don't remember the skull measurements - will have to get back on that one. The sow took a 225 grain TTSX through her left cheek below the eye - brother had many pieces to glue together.
    One can only imagine how many cubs shes brought into this world....wow...
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

I would kill to be able to shoot that boar. Beauty.

Thanks - I guess that I did kill him to get him. The old gal is the one with the bloody face and the long claws (if not obvious enough). She was digging ground skwirls, saw us moving on her at 197 yards. She stood up, dropped and charged hard. She was hungry and we were on the menu. 6 shots and 3 hits later she was down. She was coving 12 foot per jump. If I remember right, she was around 60 yards when she was done. The boar - well, I missed him at really too far away to be shooting at a griz. Didn't know whether he was hit or not, but didn't think so. Went in after him anyway. Winded the brush first hard. Circled it completely, then my brother stood guard on the uphill most sight/vantage point, while my uncle and I went in after him. At one point we could "feel" that he was there right in front of us in a big pile of brush. Shortly after kicking out way through that brush we opened up into the little creek bottom where he sits in the pik. Uncle was looking forward and we were talking fairly loudly and a lot to ole Griz. Well, I had been checking our back trail mostly - kind of walking back to back (but 3 or 4 yards apart) with my Uncle. Ole Griz came sneakin in on us like a cat. He stopped at about 70 yards and I tried to tell Uncle what was happening but then decided to let ole betsy bark and figured he'd get the picture quick like. He was facing me - slight quartered and a bit crouched adjacent to an alder. The 225gr TTSX hit him just left of his center and stopped in the fur of the offside hind quarter. He dropped immediately like you popped a balloon. He died quick like a mountain monarch should. (apologize - but I cannot get a carriage return to function - so no paragraphs)

Good story. Gotta love those gut checks we find ourselves in. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Good story. Gotta love those gut checks we find ourselves in. }:>
    No thanks.........a couple gut checks a lifetime is plenty enough for me...!!!.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Now that sounds like a hunt to remember! It is neat finding out the age of animals we harvest and seeing what kind of condition they are in compared to their age and the size they have grown to.

Thanks for the typewriter flash back!

I really like the looks of that gorgeous, old sow with the long fingernails, but your brother sure has a dumb smile on his face.

gotta love hunting for mountain bears!!!! nice!

I'm still waiting to hear back how old the boar I harvested last fall was. He was 7'6" squared if I remember right, and his skull I'd have to look up as I don't remember. He seemed very old as his hair was turning white on his shoulders and head. All his canine teeth were broken off at the gum and the rest were worn flat. His claws were in the 5" long range and white. Very neat bear. Both the above bears are nice, but the boar has a beautiful coat on him!

AZinAK

Pretty obvious - but as you can see - my brother is not near as handsome as myself! His bear though - she was a little pertier than the both of us! The sow's coat was actually pretty much the same as the boar - except the blood kind of made a mess of her - we cleaned her up best we could before the pic too.... He is doing a life size mount of her - should be pretty cool. He also took a pretty nice bou that he has back - the flocking done on it was really nice (same guy as his bear).

Pretty obvious - but as you can see - my brother is not near as handsome as myself!.....
    It looks like he has a complexion problem, for sure. You definitely got the looks in the family. (You look a lot like Todd...........)

His bear though - she was a little pertier than the both of us!.....
    And her 'nails! Wow! I know lots of gals who would like 'nails like that!

I was supposed to get my grizz and caribou home tonight but the taxidermists truck broke down 4 hrs away and I have to work tonight or I would be on my way to his rescue. I will send pics of the finished mounts on Wed. My bear measured front paws 7'4" by 6' 7" nose to tail in the field according to my log, without streatching. Both of the K9's were cracked in half and the rest of the teeth were worn to the gum. I didn't write down bullelkkilrs but it wasn't much smaller. I wasn't able to get a good measure on the skull in the field because it was like jello. When the beatles were done I had 43 pieced to glue back together. Best and hardest puzzle I have put together took me about 30 hrs, and I only had a few crumbs left over, minus the ones uncle threw away while cleaning the meat off in the field. I will send a pic of before and after.
    Oh the picture of my expression was more of an oooh shoot what just happened!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast