Thread: Silver Salmon Creek

Default Silver Salmon Creek

What do I need to know to fly in here and land on the beach?

Light 56 C-180, 260 hp, 8.50 x 6.00 mains and XP Mod big tail wheel .....

SS is a great beginner beach, in fact one operator calls the north beach the "north airport" It has a windsock and you can see where the firm sand is very easily. Like any beach stay away from the 'whoopty doos' and drag it first. Make sure you park high enough not to be in the way of the operators going in and out. You can usually see where everyone is landing just follow their lead. I am assuming you already have beach experience.
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

Yes ... Have landed on lots of beaches, Chulitna, Polly Creek, Mcleod, at Montague, Nelly Martin river .... Just never been there, are there still set netters with lines on the beach?

Quote Originally Posted by headoutdaplane View Post
    SS is a great beginner beach, in fact one operator calls the north beach the "north airport" It has a windsock and you can see where the firm sand is very easily. Like any beach stay away from the 'whoopty doos' and drag it first. Make sure you park high enough not to be in the way of the operators going in and out. You can usually see where everyone is landing just follow their lead. I am assuming you already have beach experience.

Is there a lake at s s or the Kustatan to get a 185 in and out ?

If you're in or around Anchorage, stop in at The Lucky Wishbone, on Fifth Avenue near Merrill Field, and talk with the owner, George Brown. He frequently takes his C-180 in there for the silver salmon fishing . . . . .

There is a small lake on the lower Kustutan, seen cubs in and out of there ... no spam cans though. It is between the lower dirt strip with a few duck shacks (old pickup campers) and the oil field development to the north. I would look it over well before landing a "heavy" airplane there. I am on wheels and it is still beaches & river gravel bars.