Thread: alaska guides busted hunting black bears

Default alaska guides busted hunting black bears

.................................................. .................................................. ...............................
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...rs-too-quickly
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

your dots are passive aggressive. say what you really feel, and back it up in person if you have to. nothing felt more fullfilling, than plowing the bow of my canoe up against the landing strip of a bush pilot who flew over my campsite 40 yds off the creek, three times in a row. He was too chicken sht to get torn to peaces with bare hands. these pompous pieces of sht need exposing more than anyone else.

I thought you had to be a Reg guide to contract hunts for your self. Has something changed?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    nothing felt more fullfilling, than plowing the bow of my canoe up against the landing strip of a bush pilot who flew over my campsite 40 yds off the creek, three times in a row.
    Wonder what he thought as a canoe was barreling towards him at top speed
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by shanksmare View Post
    I thought you had to be a Reg guide to contract hunts for your self. Has something changed?
    My thoughts too. How did the Class A guide run a guide biz when he was not legal to contract hunts? Maybe a Reg. guide is also involved in the biz but was not present for this hunt.
    Likely part of the problem is the author of the article is not fully familiar with guide law.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    your dots are passive aggressive. say what you really feel, and back it up in person if you have to. nothing felt more fullfilling, than plowing the bow of my canoe up against the landing strip of a bush pilot who flew over my campsite 40 yds off the creek, three times in a row. He was too chicken sht to get torn to peaces with bare hands. these pompous pieces of sht need exposing more than anyone else.
    What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    My thoughts too. How did the Class A guide run a guide biz when he was not legal to contract hunts? Maybe a Reg. guide is also involved in the biz but was not present for this hunt.
    Likely part of the problem is the author of the article is not fully familiar with guide law.
    A Registered Guide can contract hunts and guide clients. Although they must be in the field when clients are in the field if using an assistant guide. Being in the field means being in the same guide unit as the client or in the guide unit next to the guide unit the client is hunting in. A Class A Assistant guide cannot contract hunts but can guide clients and if they are in the field with the client a registered guide does not have to be in the field. An assistant guide can only guide clients under the supervision of a Class A assistant guide or registered guide. Keeter may be a registered guide however he may not have been the contracting guide and he may have been acting as a class A guide in the field helping another Registered guide out. There are times a guide will contract a hunt and not be able to be in the field so they hire another registered guide to act as a class A registered guide on the hunt so the registered guide does not have to be in the field. Just a thought. many guides are honorable people and some are not. Just like there are hunters and there are poachers. These guys turned themselves in once they realized they made a a mistake. Not something many will do.

They reported themselfs,not busted.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Wonder if this is the same Charles Keeter who owns a fishing guiding service. Considering a registered guide is not needed for black bear it may be some other type of package. Good on them for turning themselfs in and now if everyone that does 40mph in a 35mph zone will do the same city coffers will be full.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Cool off, same day airborne hunting is allowed in the unit. But it's only legal at a bait station? Kinda crazy. But they realized it and turned themselves in. Hope they get a warning personally cause they sound like stand up guys.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Cool off, same day airborne hunting is allowed in the unit. But it's only legal at a bait station? Kinda crazy. But they realized it and turned themselves in. Hope they get a warning personally cause they sound like stand up guys.
    One of em might be the other one is well known on the river system as a BS artist who has pretty much bilked every lodge, barge owner or any other business on the Susitna Drainage. His M.O. is to start a business and claim all these wonderful things and then start a new business with a new name. Hasn't been in Alaska for twenty years either.

Hunting season must be under way again. A sure sign is the new threads bashing guides, outfitters and pilots.

Cool off, same day airborne hunting is allowed in the unit. But it's only legal at a bait station? Kinda crazy. But they realized it and turned themselves in.
    Somewhat correct. You don't need a bait station.

I don't think they deserve just a warning. Same day airborne is legal in 16B only with a predator control permit which is available only to Alaska residents (baiting has nothing to do with the same day airborne reg in that unit). This is something the guides absolutely should have known. Ignorance of the law is no excuse especially for a guide!
    We obviously don't have all the facts but I just don't see any scenario where the guides made an honest mistake on this one.

Well, I read the regs again and its friggn confusing. It sounds like you can shoot a black bear at bait stations same day you have flown in 15 of the 26 units in Alaska. In addition, you can shoot them same day airborne if you are 300 feet from a plane with a predator control permit. And the article says they shot one same day airborne but werent at a bait site so they were cited by troopers. I do agree that you would think guides would have the regs memorized considering their livelihood depends on it..
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Naive. They admitted a crime. Cops have to bookem. State police are state police. There is plenty of time to confess and admit guilt after you break the law. Whats the rush? Get a lawyer first. If you are dealing with police, let the lawyer set up a deal whereby you get something in exchange for accepting responsibility for the offense. A better plea bargain or lesser offense, or maybe even immunity. If you confess to the police, you get nothing in return. Zero. Sorry, but the days of doing the honorable thing do not apply anymore as our justice system is set up to raise funds and revenue now. It is no more honorable confessing to a rigged system than it is to use your 5th Amendment right that people have died for you to have. If you want to "self report" (confess to a crime), what's the rush until you get expert advice first? Rant off

Ya, let's bash all guides. As far as I know you can not take money to guide a hunter unless you are a registered guide outfitter period.