Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Dall sheep cape.

Default Need a Dall sheep cape.

My sheep cape was not salvageable and am in need of cape for a shoulder mount. If you know where I can find one, please let me know. It needs to fit horns with 13 in bases. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rynreeve View Post
    My sheep cape was not salvageable and am in need of cape for a shoulder mount. If you know where I can find one, please let me know. It needs to fit horns with 13 in bases. Thanks
    I see this every year on several different forums. I am not accusing you of anything, but I hope that you are not trying to take advantage of someone's good will by choosing the best time of the year to score sheep capes to re-sell. Did you just kill your sheep this season and the cape rotted already? If not, the only reason you haven't found a cape in a year is because you did not want to pay a fair price for one. There have been dozens available all year long. If you did just have a quick hunt this year, the cape should not have rotted yet, so what made it "not salvageable?" I know hunters who have air dried capes in warmer weather than this and the capes and skins were fine. Why don't you post a pic of your sheep so people can check it out and try to match up a cape that looks similar in size, hair length and body build? Also, what happened to your sheep cape? Did you make it out of your hunt with the meat but not the cape? Sounds like an interesting story.

This place never ceases to amaze, or dumbfound. Only reply to the post implies an other than honorable request. Maybe the sheep took a nasty fall. perhaps they had to process the critter on a very steep slope where caping is extremely hard. Who knows?

Or maybe the guy is how you have portrayed him to be.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Maybe, maybe, maybe. What is the harm in asking though? Really? I have a couple decades of experience in this exact subject matter, so why are you offended that I stated my concern and asked questions. Isn't this a "forum?" Why does it bother you so much that someone is else might be bothered? Are you the only one allowed to have an opinion or concern? You are on a public forum complaining about people not thinking like you do.

Furthermore, I am just trying to protect someone on here who has been around and invested some time in the forums. I live in Alaska and I can't drive by any street corner without a beggar asking for money (summer only) and my wife cannot even go to Fred Meyer or Walmart without someone following her to her car and knocking on the window to beg while scaring the daylights out of her. This guy has only 5 posts and he is already back from a sheep hunt on the 13th and his cape is bad? Sorry, but I am just curious. Sorry it bothers people.

Me and a buddy flew into the brooks on the seventh had our sheep down on the tenth. Had an odd problem with my sheep, when we got up close it was very sick looking and had several large bald spots all over its body. The cape was loosing its hair as we were touching it. We talking with the biologist to see what might have been wrong with this ram but the cape was no good. No word on what might be wrong. Being that this is my first sheep, I was hoping someone had a cape I could buy to get a shoulder mount completed.

Any pictures of the ram showing the bald spots, what did the bio say about the meat.

DSCN0045.jpg

As you can see in the pic, this ram is not in the best of shape. Needless to say we decided to leave the cape and just take the meat and horns. Haven't gotten anything from the bio yet but will be checking with them tomorrow.

Looked like you did good by putting that poor guy out of it's misery......

Sad to see that.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yikes!!! What did they age that ram at?

Ram was aged at only 9 yrs old. Has anyone seen this before in Dall sheep. It definately has me concerned about the meat.

Never even heard about it. Weird. I would think f and g would want that cape and carcus for study cause thats a sheep that won't make it into winter. Hope that's a rare condition! Wow rr thanks for the info.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Where was it aged? What office.
    Did anyone get skin samples?
    Congrats.
    Wes
    Ram was aged at only 9 yrs old. Has anyone seen this before in Dall sheep. It definately has me concerned about the meat.

Looks to me like that sheep had the mange. Animals, ( and humans ) coming in contact with an animal that has it, can get it. You didn't feel itchy afterwards did you?
    "Grin and Bear It"

I would be concerned too. I wonder if there is anywhere you could take it to have it tested...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Ram was aged at the fairbanks F&G office. I didn't think to get a skin sample. I have had no ill effect from being in contact with this animal so far. If anyone hears of a cape being available I would like to purchase one. Thanks. I'll keep you informed as to what hear on this animals condition.

I would fair to guess that that ram has had some issues for quite some time. If it really is 9 years old, then it has had something that has stunted it's horn growth for years. A 9 year old ram should be a lot bigger than that.

I would definitely hold up on that meat until you get a scientific determination. That animal was clearly very sick. Hopefully a dozen wolves eat what you left behind. And thx for posting the pic to shut down the clown that starts a lengthy, accusatory tirade with "I am not accusing you of anything". Maybe that post could have been trimmed down to "Dude, can you post a pic of that sick ram". Just sayin.

Congrats on the ram. Something about the smiles on successful sheep hunter's faces. Hope you find a nice cape. Those horns will mount up nicely.

Alaskaslist sometimes has sheep capes, I would call around to the Taxi shops as well, and let them know you are looking for one.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Brush off the attack. It's a normal standard for some.

Nice ram, by the way. Post up an email address, I may have a few leads on a cape but be aware ahead of time they don't go cheap, $1200-1600 is what I have seen as asking prices.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I appreciate all the comments. If anyone finds a lead on a cape my email is reeve000@gmail.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast