Thread: Blood Shot Eyes in older lab

Default Blood Shot Eyes in older lab

More a dog health question than training but here goes.

I've noticed twice in the past week that my 8 year old yellow lab has had blood shot eyes. This is something new and a bit alarming for me.

One day last week, at Tangle Lakes, after walking a mile or so through wet brush in 43 degree windy weather looking for birds, when we got back to camp, I noticed he had deep red eyes, especially along the bottom. He didn't seem to be any pain over it, wasn't pawing/wiping at them, and I didn't see anything coming out of his eye. At the time, I thought it might be related to the cold weather or he might have taken a piece of branch across the face or something. It was gone a few hours later.

A few days later, I noticed the same condition at home. Inside, warm and dry, no activity that day. It went away within a few hours.

Today, we walked 5 miles out on Johnson Pass trail, where he worked really hard, but no blood shot eyes.

I have a copy of "Dog Owners Veterinary Reference Book", but it doesn't address blood shot eyes specifically, other than to say red, sunken eyes are a sign of dehydration and any eye condition is serious. I wouldn't want to admit I let the dog get dehydrated (I carry water and food for him in my pack and take breaks) but, for the sake of discussion, I'll say it was possible at Tangle Lakes. That doesn't account for the other day when it happened at home.

Has anyone seen this before or experienced it with their dog and, if so, what did you (or what should I) do about it? I'm seriously considering a visit to the vet if I see it again.

My 5 year old lab has had the same thing happen from time to time. You can request some eye drops for the dog from the vet. The vial is pretty small, but it lasts quite a while and cost around $10, if I remember right. I think it's called Neo Poly Dex. It's also possible the dog might have irritated his eyes hunting the first day (like you said, hitting a stick) and some just could have re-irritated it a few days later. I'd call the vet up an ask for some medicated drops for dogs.

Could be a bit of bacteria from bugs. I've gotten a slight infection a few times from white socks getting in my eye and the doc told me to use a little Polysporin in it. Worked great. As it's milder than Neosporin, I would think it should be fine for dogs too....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have one that gets it in the spring when the brush she's running through is dusty. The dust irritates the eyes.

Could your dog have picked up a seed of some kind? I've seen dogs get stuff in their eyes that wash out naturally but irritated their eye while it was there.

Actually, it's not a bad idea to carry along a bottle of saline solution to wash a dog's eyes out after a hunt or walk in the woods and brush. For minor irritations and such I also make sure I have on hand in my kit a few tubes of triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment and put a lttle dab in each eye. Monitor it. Take pup to the vet if it worsens and this minor first aid doesn't work.

Jim

Thanks for the responses, folks. I'm going to hold off, for now, on going to the vet. I'll try to pay more attention to what conditions are like (climate, exercise, diet) the next time this happens. In the mean time I'll add some Visine to my pack.

Jim, when you say "bottle of saline" are you referring to one of the small bottles, such as Visine or those "natural tears" products, or are you referring to say those quart bottles of emergency eyewash like at the safety eyewash stations at industrial sites? I may have one of those qt bottles (expired but still clear) that I could open and transfer into a smaller container for easier carry.

I actually carry along in my truck K9 First Aid kit a large bottle or two of real saline solution. It's not a bad idea to wash a dog's eyes out after a day of pushing through grass and brush. All sorts of stuff gets into their eyes. The saline works for cleaning other wounds as well. The antibiotic ointment works for all sorts of eye irritations. One of my Brittanys occasionally gets some sort of gooey affliction in his eyes (the current wildfire smoke isn't helping the dogs or me in this regard) and simple washing and application of the opthalmic ointment for a couple of days cleans it up fine.

Good hunting!

Jim

Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Jim. I don't have a "K9 First Aid Kit" mostly because, when I started shopping for one, I noticed that the contents were mostly very similar to a "human" first aid kit, so I carry only mine (which is substantial-to include burn gel packs and blood clotting packs) to lighten/shrink the load. (I don't carry a full size backpack; I use a lumbar pack with shoulder harness.) But I can add a smaller vile of saline and then keep a full bottle in the truck. Hadn't thought of it as a wound wash-figured to just use water from the nalgenes.

Saline solution (for contact lens wearers) is a great wound washer -- sterile (sort of, after opening) and doesn't sting like fresh water does. Note that Visine doesn't do much other than shrink blood vessels so your dog's eyes look better, and he probably doesn't care. Plus the stuff in Visine can actually irritate eyes because it dries them out. Saline is much better.