Thread: 3M Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation

Default 3M Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation

Anybody know of a local source for the 1" or 2" foil-backed Thinsulate? I'd like to cut down the thermal loss and reduce noise transmission. Looks like a good product for Alaska as it is able to do both jobs and not weight down the boat with a lot of lead and foam.

I've only seen online options so far and they sell this product by the roll.

Looks like you'll have to interact with 3M on their website to find a source as I came up with nada searching distributor sites. But you may want to check out this one as it is marine specific: http://www.marinefoam.com/engine-sou...AtA&lcode=AB89

Good luck!

Well let me know if you find anything local or affordable. I'd love to insulate mine a bit too. I'd be willing to split a bulk buy too within reason.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

call a place called EJ Bartells in anchorage and ask them about the black acoustic foam they have, they are a customer of mine and i used the black foam to line my engine box and it quieted down my John Deere quite a bit, i think its under 50 bucks for a 4x8 sheet, its 2" thick if i remember right. Here's a tip, it cuts like butter with a electric carving knife, i used that 3m spray glue to stick it to the insides and top of my engine box.They have all kinds of industrial insulation.
    If your going to go high dollar only use Soundown
    http://www.soundown.com/index_Marine.htm
    P6140629.JPGP6140627.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Steve,

My thoughts on using the 3M Thinsulate for the cabin insulation have to do with very low moisture absorption, low weight and high R-Value--about 5.75/inch. This equals almost two inches of neoprene foam insulation from what I read. Seems like it might be the better choice for the cabin as it will also not break down or harden if kept out of extreme heat and away from UV radiation.

I am still undecided on the solution for my doghouse. I know that something must be done though I am reluctant to put 1-2lb/sq ft Soundown all throughout my engine compartment. Weight is the enemy of speed and I enjoy going fast!

I'll see what EJ Bartell's can offer as it relates to sound-proofing products. Thanks as always for the good info!

Iceking02

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Steve,

My thoughts on using the 3M Thinsulate for the cabin insulation have to do with very low moisture absorption, low weight and high R-Value--about 5.75/inch. This equals almost two inches of neoprene foam insulation from what I read. Seems like it might be the better choice for the cabin as it will also not break down or harden if kept out of extreme heat and away from UV radiation.

I am still undecided on the solution for my doghouse. I know that something must be done though I am reluctant to put 1-2lb/sq ft Soundown all throughout my engine compartment. Weight is the enemy of speed and I enjoy going fast!

I'll see what EJ Bartell's can offer as it relates to sound-proofing products. Thanks as always for the good info!

Iceking02
    To keep the weight down just box in the space around your engine, you just have to figure out how to get enough airflow in there to run the engine and suck out the heat. Does R value have anything to do with noise reduction ??? I think you need the mass to absorb the noise. I'm going to do more on my boat with that black stuff it seemed to work well, i'm going to just let it hang from under my deck to the bottom of the boat down the sides of the engine. How many knots is your hearing worth ?? Take that from a guy that has roaring in his ears every night !!! I bet with all that metal in your rig the sound just bounces off everything, trap it with a box around the engine and i bet you'll have a pleasant surprise. By the way don't waste your money on the sound barrier in a can(paint on stuff) it doesn't work !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Steve, is that stuff light weight like blue board?
    I want to get it up on my ceiling in the Koffler, but think the 2" thickness is too much. There is a grid work of aluminum box in the ceiling/roof to keep it rigid and that I think is 1" material. Maybe I'll have to go with the foil bubble wrap looking stuff if I can't find something light, 1" thick and reasonable cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Steve, is that stuff light weight like blue board?
    I want to get it up on my ceiling in the Koffler, but think the 2" thickness is too much. There is a grid work of aluminum box in the ceiling/roof to keep it rigid and that I think is 1" material. Maybe I'll have to go with the foil bubble wrap looking stuff if I can't find something light, 1" thick and reasonable cost.
    Its a lightweight flexible foam( like a foam mattress) and i think they have it in thinner stock, if i remember right it was aprox $50 for a 4x8 sheet.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I used the 3M stuff on my Jetta diesel; it's awesome stuff. I put it under the hood and on top of the skid plate. It REALLY made a difference on the noise. As for holding heat in, in the winter, after a snow, the snow on the hood would melt, from the engine heat, anywhere there was no 3M stuff (where the reinforcing brackets on the hood were). Everywhere else was covered with snow. I forget exactly where it was I bought it, an online auto parts place like Jegs or Summit or some place. I paid ...something like 50ish bucks, shipped for enough to the car plus some left over.

Rob B, et al,

Regarding a bulk purchase:

How many square feet?
    What thickness?
    Are you okay with the aluminum-backed version?

Just saw your reply. I'd guess about 70 sq ft. That would do both sides behind my seats I'm thinking. I'm not loooking for anything really thick but haven't seen anything in person to get an idea of what would be needed either. An aluminum backed version wouldbe just fine.

What have you found so far?

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859