Thread: 22 hornet handgun?

Default 22 hornet handgun?

Hi all,

Leaving out for moose hunting soon and prefer beaver as camp meat. Usually, a scoped 22 magnum is in the canoe. It's 6lbs scoped. My son has a 22 herny lever youth with the 16" barrel. That makes a better canoe gun as it weighs 4 lbs with a peep sight, but I don't like 22 lr.

I was thinking, when the going gets shallow and I have to pull a heavy freighter, every extra lb. in the boat counts. This year will be hard, because of no rain. The river running will darn near kill me just to get to good moose pasture. It's years like this, where I wish I had a 22 revolver as the camp meat gun.

When I used to hike to my remote property, I'd kill rabbits and grouse along the way as camp meat with a 17hmr single six. Worked good, but I despise that stupid cartridge and got rid of all of them. I sold my taures 22 magnum revolver, it wasn't accurate enough.

I know it will be so bad that I won't bring a cook shack, coleman stove, no cast iron, no chainsaw, no zodi camp shower, and no ratchet rope. Instead, I must bring a crappy msr whisperlite, and crappy msr cook kit, instead of a luxurious coleman twin-burner stove with big fry pan. No zodi camp shower, sponge baths. No cook shack......gotta use a tarp. To cut river sweepers and firewood....gotta use a hand saw.

I'm contemplating not even bringing a 22 magnum, may have to use expensive rifle cartridges for camp meat.

Anyone have experience with 22 hornet handguns? I think they may be ideal in weight/compactness for camp meat during these extremely shallow water years.

guess another option would be to go back to the single six ruger, but with a longer barrel. I really prefer the power of a 22 magnum rifle on a large swimming beaver. I guess to compensate for the loss of power, I could run those speer gold dots, or the 50 grain game shocks on a head shot.

Nice looking little pistol. Are they accurate with the magnum cylinder?

http://ruger.com/products/newModelSi...er/models.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

I shot 22 Hornet and 22 K-Hornet in Contenders for something like 20 years. Both were scoped 10" bull barrels, and if I missed anything it was my fault. If you're looking at Hornet, I'd go immediately to K-Hornet. Lots easier to find accurate loads with a more pronounced shoulder and case life is 2x or 3x standard Hornets.

Revolver? Bring your ear plugs.

I have a couple K-Hornets and they are fine rounds. We used to use them for crop damage deer culling...40 gr at the base of the skull did the job. My favorite is a NEF that I whittled the stock down on and have a 4x Weaver on the 16" barrel. That barrel or a 16" .30-30 AI barrel is my 4 wheeler gun most of the time. The K-Hornet rules but I like them in a rifle but I bet they would be just as good in the Contender pistol and handier too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I would go with a mid sized 38spl 4" and shoot something like a midrange wadcutter. Ammo is fairly cheap and can be loaded using cast boolits for less than the cost of 22mag. Plenty of power and accuracy for small game and won't destroy much meat.

Here is my favorit trail/camping pistol.

Single six before the super SS that took mags also. Added a 22mag cylinder and it shoots great with the tight 22lr barrel.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If you can't take any of that stuff in with you how can you get a moose back out of there?

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I would go with a mid sized 38spl 4" and shoot something like a midrange wadcutter. Ammo is fairly cheap and can be loaded using cast boolits for less than the cost of 22mag. Plenty of power and accuracy for small game and won't destroy much meat.
    Well said, and much quiter than a 22 mag or 22 hornet revolver. Also if you use a 357 mag you can load it up to take big game.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    If you can't take any of that stuff in with you how can you get a moose back out of there?
    little bit of help from the current, and alot of sweat. Pulling a 600-700lb load through there one season, I lost 14 lbs for 50 miles of river. took an entire week. slept for 18 hours about half way.

coming back down is MUCH easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Here is my favorit trail/camping pistol.

Single six before the super SS that took mags also. Added a 22mag cylinder and it shoots great with the tight 22lr barrel.
    amigo, I really liked the single six, I only wish that it was the convertable like yours, and not the 17 HMR. you can't beat the affordability. This was my old rig traded to another forum member:

another round of high interest due to the light weight of the ammo, is a 30 carbine revolver!
    Attached Images Attached Images