Thread: .44mag 270gr hard cast load?

Default .44mag 270gr hard cast load?

I picked up a box of Stoner 270gr. hard cast a while back and got ready to load them up tonight, only to find my lyman book doesn't have a load for them and I can't seem to find any on the google machine, anyone have a starting point? Thanks in advance!

I can't recomend the practice, but I'd look at data for 250 gr cast bullets, 300gr cast bullets and split the difference in max charges and work up. If using H-110 or W-296 the standard warning about reduced starting loads applies, i.e. don't do it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I can't recomend the practice, but I'd look at data for 250 gr cast bullets, 300gr cast bullets and split the difference in max charges and work up. If using H-110 or W-296 the standard warning about reduced starting loads applies, i.e. don't do it.
    Thanks Paul, I just noticed I didn't note in my original post that the two pistol powders I have available to me are Bullseye and Blue Dot, i'd really like to find a Blue Dot recipe since I have a few pounds of that.

I'd be cautious with blue dot as it has a tendency of pressure spiking with some combinations of bullets and chamberings so would be leary of extrapolating blue dot data. It is an excellent powder in some applications.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Check out this link http://www.lasc.us/fryxell44overweight.htm

I usethis as a guide with Win 296. I am shooting 310gr HC in front of 21 grains of 296 with good results.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Good ole Lyman Data

Lyman 47th.
    275 gr. Cast, Blue Dot, 13.2 to 16.7 grains.

Lyman 49th
    270 gr. JSP, Blue Dot, 12.7 to 14.2 grains.

I like that bullet. I've loaded it with H or IMR 4227 and H110.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    Check out this link http://www.lasc.us/fryxell44overweight.htm

I usethis as a guide with Win 296. I am shooting 310gr HC in front of 21 grains of 296 with good results.
    Good reading, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Lyman 47th.
    275 gr. Cast, Blue Dot, 13.2 to 16.7 grains.

Lyman 49th
    270 gr. JSP, Blue Dot, 12.7 to 14.2 grains.

I like that bullet. I've loaded it with H or IMR 4227 and H110.

SOTN
    Smitty, I've got the Lyman 49th, I looked at that JSP data but I was under the impression jacketed bullet data was not interchangeable with lead bullets?

Thanks for the help fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Smitty, I've got the Lyman 49th, I looked at that JSP data but I was under the impression jacketed bullet data was not interchangeable with lead bullets?

Thanks for the help fellas!
    My understanding is that a cast bullet of the same weight and bearing surface will have less ess friction, and even give a bit higher velocity.

I would sooner use jacketed bullet data for a cast bullet of- the same weight, than vice versa, but either for either should give you guidance. You get more pressure with a jacket and less with cast.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

My understanding is that a cast bullet of the same weight and bearing surface will have less ess friction, and even give a bit higher velocity.

I would sooner use jacketed bullet data for a cast bullet of- the same weight, than vice versa, but either for either should give you guidance. You get more pressure with a jacket and less with cast.

SOTN
    Thanks again, I suppose I'll try that min. load out of the manual with Blue Dot and see if I can still type to report back!

Thanks again, I suppose I'll try that min. load out of the manual with Blue Dot and see if I can still type to report back!
    You is crackin me up.

Data for Jacketed bullets is considered safe for cast bullets, because there is less friction. Therefore less pressure, and more velocity.

That doesn't mean that Blue Dot is a good powder choice, or a particular load will be without problems in your gun.

My point is a general one about the data.

Maybe someone else can set your mind at ease, or correct my advice, if it's incorrect.

I like cast bullets. For one thing, they don't wear your barrel like Jacketed bullets. In 44 Mag. they seem to have important advantages.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

You is crackin me up.

Data for Jacketed bullets is considered safe for cast bullets, because there is less friction. Therefore less pressure, and more velocity....Maybe someone else can set your mind at ease, or correct my advice, if it's incorrect....
    Smitty is correct. Data for jacketed bullets is safe for cast bullets of similar weight.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You is crackin me up.

Data for Jacketed bullets is considered safe for cast bullets, because there is less friction. Therefore less pressure, and more velocity.

That doesn't mean that Blue Dot is a good powder choice, or a particular load will be without problems in your gun.

Maybe someone else can set your mind at ease, or correct my advice, if it's incorrect.

I like cast bullets. For one thing, they don't wear your barrel like Jacketed bullets. In 44 Mag. they seem to have important advantages.

SOTN
    ha ha ha... No worries, I did a little google searching too which seemed to point that direction, I was hoping someone I recognized on here could confirm, which you did and I appreciate! I couldn't pass on the opportunity for an easy joke!

I bought blue dot a year or so ago because it appeared that it would work in all the pistols I was loading for at the time. I'm not after anything special, I won't be shooting off a bench and I'm happy buying my bear bullets loaded, I just want something that will come out the right end.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Smitty is correct. Data for jacketed bullets is safe for cast bullets of similar weight.
    Thanks, I appreciate the second!

You is crackin me up.

SOTN
    Well Smitty I can still type, it appears your advice was good! Thanks again!

Well Smitty I can still type, it appears your advice was good! Thanks again!
    With both hands?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

With both hands?

SOTN
    Ha ha ha... Yup!

You should try my 310 grain hard cast..... They work real nice with 21.5 grain of h110 ... A great brownie load...Ramshot enforcer is also a great option for big cast bulets..... And of course 2400 or unique are kinda the standard for many many different sized cast bullets in many cal's ......
    I cast Custom Boolits. Want some? PM me.....