So back last winter I picked up a Hannibal in .338 A-Square. This was originally based on the .378 Weatherby, necked down, shortened by 0.010" or so, with some taper to the case. Even though case capacity is less than the mighty .338-378 W, it is slightly more efficient. At least on paper.
Sooooooo...I decide to pour some Cerrosafe into my rifle to make a chamber cast. It worked just like planned except that I poured a little tooo much. This was bad. I had to melt the metal by heating the chamber of the rifle which made for some exciting moments. Hot molten Cerrosafe is only around 180* but it still smarts when it dribbles unexpectedly onto bare skin. I did get it all out. At least I though I did.
Today I have some trimmed, formed and ready-to-load shells made up. I tried to chamber an empty case. Didn't work. I went back through the sequence of form, form in neck ream die, then full length size without the sizing button in. Still wouldn't chamber. Hmmmm. I looked in the chamber with a small flashlight and there seems to be something a little brighter in the area where the mouth of the case will be. So I used a VLD chamfering tool to get a nice sharp edge on a case mouth and shoved that puppy in there along with a smart smack on the bolt handle. When I pulled it out the was a tiny ding on the case mouth. Seems a little bit of Cerrosafe just doesn't want to leave.
I don't have a chamber plug for this so looks like I'll have to get the metal out of the wood and heat it up again. This time I'll use a bronze brush and scrub-a-dub real well when I think it's hot enough to be soft. Dang it! I wanted to go shoot this rifle today. Well, maybe tomorrow.