Thread: Airlines and air tanks

Default Airlines and air tanks

Have any of you checked air tanks as baggage. I was reading Alaska Airlines site and it said it must be open ended for visual inspection so you need to pull the valve, is this correct?

I have never tried to fly with an air tank, I do know they will not let you fly with a full one. Why would you want too? It is cheaper to rent one than deal with the problems at the airport.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I checked one on Alaska, I had the valve off and loose to allow inspection. they did look.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    I checked one on Alaska, I had the valve off and loose to allow inspection. they did look.

Thanks that's what I'll do

Yea, just take the valve out. I carry my rebreather tanks on and it's no problem as long as the valves are out. I usually don't tape them either, just because I don't want to give TSA anything to question.

old thread but I will bring it to life. If you try to check them and they don't know (pressurized) and find out later you can get a huge fine to the tune of 10,000$..... ask me how I know..

Bummer, Why would you check a tank and a pressurized one at that?

Quote Originally Posted by ddmitchell View Post
    Bummer, Why would you check a tank and a pressurized one at that?
    well long story short: we ship a lot of oxygen bottles and "Bailouts". (bailout is simply a 30-50 cu foot bottle of air)
    Sometimes the pilot will be ok to fly as long as he knows. Apparantly the shop hand that loaded the single o2 bottle did not declare it on the manifest. To fly with a pressurized o2 cylinder is no big deal. They happen to be all over a commercial plane. But the FAA thought it was a big deal as they did a random inspection... its very hard to find o2 bottles in remote locations. im a commercial diver that's why we use all this stuff...