Thread: Canceled charter

Default Canceled charter

What if any thing should the charter do to make up the missed trip it was a mecanical issue .got the call at 7pm and was told we have the parts to fix should be good to go at 7am ,then get a call at 6am to cancel trip. not looking for anything, just as a owner
    I know theres a couple on here what would you have done,trip was out of Homer

Quote Originally Posted by brokeeye View Post
    What if any thing should the charter do to make up the missed trip it was a mecanical issue .got the call at 7pm and was told we have the parts to fix should be good to go at 7am ,then get a call at 6am to cancel trip. not looking for anything, just as a owner
    I know theres a couple on here what would you have done,trip was out of Homer
    Well, as a charter customer, I would either expect the trip to be rescheduled to a date that was available for me, or a full refund of my deposit if it could not be rescheduled to fit my needs.

We had a similar thing happen to us this summer too. Really sucked because we found out at like 9pm the night before we were suppose to go. We called tons of other charters and could not find a last minute charter to get on. My friends were visiting from WA and only here for a week. Really sucked not getting to do the thing my buddies wife was most excited about. I will say the charter had called around and tried to find us another boat to get on with no luck. Of course we got our refund, but doesn't change the fact that my friends didn't get to do a charter while they were here.

Do the best I can to get them out fishing, I I can't get them out on my rig, refund deposit, hopefully get them on another boat. Mechanical's happen, usually at the most inoportune time. I had to cancel yest to replace a prop.

I'd be glad they didn't try and put you on a half broke down boat to begin with, its disappointing but better to live to fish another day.

Charterboat Operator

Sounds to me like they did all they could, they probably worked most of the night to try and get the boat fixed. They did not want to cancel on you either, the charter guys need all the trips they can get. Busy time of year to try and book on such short notice, but more often than not someone has a boat or available seats.
    Is a bummer for your friends wife, BUT, i doubt it ruined her whole trip.

Yup, somedays the boat breaks down, somedays the weater blows you out and some days the fish don't bite.

I understand the disapointment but chalk it up to it's better to be onshore wishing you were on the water vs. offshore wishing you'd never left port.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.