Thread: Tyone lake with a prop

Default Tyone lake with a prop

Opinions on if I can get into tyone lake with my flat bottom with a 50hp prop?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

On a good day...... easily.

The problem is that on a bad day you might have to wait a day or 6 to get in or out safely. 5-6 foot rollers on LL or Susitna could stop you from moving around. I had 5 footers going in last Thursday.

The lake is very low and losing depth fast. The channel to Susitna is as low as I have even seen it. Have VHF and use it to announce your intentions.

Other than a few local bou, the herd is not around...... yet.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Thanks sounds like I may avoid that for a family trip. Not really looking for bou just another place to explore with the boat. At least hopefully by then I won't be bou hunting!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Tyone can get really weedy. I haven't been there this fall, but the weeds last year choked down a 2007 Yamaha 60 HP Prop. I have to clean out my 115 Suzuki jet several times if I go to the slough unless I get very lucky.

Look for a low pressure system to settle in the Lake Louise flats. Then the lake is more predictable.

If you decide to go up, I'll give you the nickel tour...... for free.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I took my Alaskan 240 with twin 115's last year to Tyone Lake with out so much as one ding on my props. Pulled it thru the channel scraping a little sand a few times. Kept one motor up from the enterance of Tyone Channel as well as using one motor tilled up with plenty of bite left until I got to the lake. I just traveled the channel at troll speed and and kept my son on the bow for rock watch my first trip. After that I just followed my cookie trail. There is one very large rock about the size of a VW Bug you need to keep an eye out for. I had many folks talk to me and some of the old timers said they had never seen a boat that size up there. I must admit, I would never had done it but the water was high last year thru the channel. Good Luck!