Thread: Suggestions for a Cheap Durable Chronograph.

Default Suggestions for a Cheap Durable Chronograph.

Looks like my next step in reloading equip. should be a chronograph. I just want something that is cheap, low maintenance & durable. I don't need all the bells & whistle, just the fps. What do you suggest?

The only one I've seen recently that fits the bill recently was at Three Bear's in Kenai.

chronychronograph 100 dollard bill at cheaper than dirt.

I now have an RCBS chronograph, looks like a giant bullet - it works good - I had a Chrony for a long time until I shot it length wise, didn't work so good after that but when it did it worked as good as the RCBS - (note: if you get an RCBS take the 9v battery out between outings)

No chrony is durable enough for a low shot. The shooting chronies work fairly well but will have trouble when the sun is low to the horizon and you'll have to play with adding card board strips as diffusers until you get good readings. But, it's an easy to setup unit.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    Looks like my next step in reloading equip. should be a chronograph. I just want something that is cheap, low maintenance & durable. I don't need all the bells & whistle, just the fps. What do you suggest?
    Well if you want cheap and fairly reliable chronr, I would go with a ProChrono. That was my first chrono, Got a Shooting Chrono after that and it is a little more complicated to set up but more compact. I think my Prochrono was more accurate.

Now if you want an accurate chrono that is way easy to use and is not affected by different light conditions like the rest are, get a MagnetoSpeed. We had a group shoot/get together a few weeks ago and used a MagnetoSpeed with an Oehler 35. They agreed within a couple of FPS with four different loads from 223 to 338 Lapua. My next chrono will be a MagnetoSpeed
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Default F1

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    I used a el cheapo 100 dollar Chrony F1 for about 5 years untill a bullet finally found it , at which time I sent it to chrony and they replaced it for less then 65.00 shipped.

It comes with a record sheet so you can keep track of your shot velocities standard deviation and exct.
    I prefer to long hand the formulas becase it dosent take long once your used to the formulas and recording the data. I can also just decide if a shot is obviously bad and not use it if i don't want to.

the more complicated and expensive models have proven no more accurate IMO and you have to learn the software to delete the last shot if its bad...and also learn to keep track of your strings Exct......

If you plan on using one for thousand of shots a year then all means ...Get a 400 dollar model and take the time to learn the software it will be a time saver in the long run.

if you plan on using one a few hundred times a year for load work up... id go with a 100 dollar shooting chrony and a cheap 40 dollar camera tripod and call it a day. just my 2 cents

just remember anything down range of a bunch of guys with guns has a limited life expectancy.....Theres 2 types of chronys

1) Those that have been shot.

2) Those that haven't been shot yet.

its a disposable item IMO...Keep that in mind when your deciding how much of your hard earned cash to shell out for one.

Good luck