Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul Road edict?

Default Haul Road edict?

I was wondering what you guys thought about this scenario. Obviously, it's too late to change anything about this but I was curious to hear your thoughts about this situation.

We talked to a couple of guys along the road that were hunting caribou (as were we) who asked if we had seen any. We were honest and told them exactly where my buddy had gotten one the day before. They were very friendly and headed on down the road. Twenty minutes later we saw them putting on camo along the road within a half mile from where my buddy had gotten his bull the day before. We stopped and asked if they had seen one. They showed us where they could see an antler tip above the brush about a quarter of a mile from the road. (I still don't know how they spotted that antler) We wished them luck and headed on up the road. About a half hour later my buddy and I decided to go back to watch their stalk from the road. When we arrived we could see them walking back across the tundra with no caribou in sight. We continued south looking for a place to turn around and saw the bull running down the road in front of us. A car was coming at it so it baled off the Dalton and went into a draw that ran parallel to the road about a half mile from where the other hunters were parked. My buddy drove past the bull and dropped me off about 100 yards beyond it in some bushes assuming it would continue down the draw and I might get a shot. The bull had stopped in the draw with bushes that were about 5 feet tall and was just standing in there within about 65 yards of the road. The car that was coming up the road had stopped and was watching the bull so I stayed in the bushes hoping they would move on. (clearly tourists) After about 20 minutes by buddy walked down the road to tell me they weren't leaving and that I might as well start staling toward the bull. I made my stalk and about an hour later I had gotten to within 30 yards. I decided to stop moving toward him and wait for him to make the next move even if it took all day. While I was making my stalk, six more cars pulled off on the shoulder to see what was happening. With all the cars on the road, I knew which direction he would go when he decided to leave the draw and I was in the perfect position. After another 30 minutes of waiting patiently, he finally walked out of the thick brush and I drew my bow. When he stopped, he was facing me but had no idea I was there so I held my draw waiting for a broadside shot. After a couple of minutes, he finally turned offering me the shoulder so I settled my pin and let fly. The shot hit right behind the shoulder but he was quartering to me when I released so I only got one lung. He ran about 250 yards before laying down and expiring.

So my edict question is two-fold. I assume it wasn't wrong to go after the bull after the other hunters had buggered it? And, is it poor form to shoot a caribou (legally) in full sight of the road when there are onlookers watching?
    The two hunters that had originally spooked the bull, watched the whole thing unfold and were very congratulatory when I walked up to the road after the shot. They didn't seem seem put off that we had shot the bull and none of the people watching said anything to me or my buddy. Ironically, the first car on the scene video taped the whole stalk and shot on their phone. They said they would email it to us but I still haven't seen anything yet.

Good work, no worries

First off Congrats!
    Secondly, I think both parties acted like true sportsman should. You were honest and told them where you had found the bou earlier. Even though they botched their stalk, it was your honesty that put them on the bull. Lets be honest, they had no idea where that bull was when you began your stalk. Had that been me that was unsuccessful on a stalk but it led to another hunter being able to harvest an animal, I would have no problems. It's encounters like yours that make hunting the haul road fun, otherwise there's just a bunch of hunters who think every bou on the side of the road belongs to them and they don't care who's stalk they interrupt to get their shot at it. Hope next week when I'm up there I have luck as good as yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great story. Congrats and sounds like you really earned that one
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Sounds like a perfect Haul Road hunt. Good sportsman and dead bou. Congrats and good job.

Sounds great to me congrars can we see a ldp?

If the cars that pulled over we're truly tourists, you gave them a show they could only get on TV where they came from, I suspect they loved it! I sure don't see any issue with any part of your story.

Sounds lucky to me. A successful haul road hunt without other "hunters" "sneaking in from a better angle" to blow your stock. Awesome. Congrats, I think you played well and fair with all involved. Good job.

I don't see anything wrong with the way things went down. Yes, there is always the chance that tourists or even resident non-hunters may get upset if you take an animal while they are watching/photographing, but there is only so much you can be expected to do. If it was a case of a bunch of cars pulled over taking pictures when you arrived, I would probably pass on the bou or at least wait until the tourists moved on. In your case, you were already into the stalk when they showed up. I don't think it is reasonable in a situation like that to break off your hunt just because someone else comes along after you to take pictures of what you are hunting.

Well done.

great stalk and kill, hope i can pull the same in a few weeks. not criticism but question, isn't there something in the regs about disturbing either hunter or tourist in the progress of pictures or hunting. like.... if you were hunting and some jack tourist saw your stalk and honked the horn to ruin it, they are wrong, or if they are taking pictures and you kill the animal then you would be wrong. isn't there a ruling on that??? again, congrats

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    great stalk and kill, hope i can pull the same in a few weeks. not criticism but question, isn't there something in the regs about disturbing either hunter or tourist in the progress of pictures or hunting. like.... if you were hunting and some jack tourist saw your stalk and honked the horn to ruin it, they are wrong, or if they are taking pictures and you kill the animal then you would be wrong. isn't there a ruling on that??? again, congrats
    Yes, it is against the law to interfere with a hunter. I don't know if that applies the other way around. They would definitely have been in the wrong if they had actively tried to interrupt the hunt, such as honking a horn or yelling to scare the caribou away.

Edit: Here is a link to the Alaska Statute for the Hunter Harassment Law: http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section790.htm

I don't think it will let me post or look at pictures but I will try.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps1f55237c.jpg

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps3c835940.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't think there was anything wrong with how it went down but always like to hear others' perspective.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If it was a case of a bunch of cars pulled over taking pictures when you arrived, I would probably pass on the bou or at least wait until the tourists moved on. In your case, you were already into the stalk when they showed up. I don't think it is reasonable in a situation like that to break off your hunt just because someone else comes along after you to take pictures of what you are hunting.
    Agreed. First example I thought of was that brown bear a few years back right on the Sterling Hwy with tons of people pulled over snapping pics, and someone called a guy with a tag who showed up and dumped him right in front of all the cameras. But this situation is very dissimilar to that one though they both involve tourist cameras.

You did great in every regard I think. Pretty sure the law agrees with you too but I'm no lawyer.

Wow Hoops, that is a great bull. Congratulations.

I am wrong to say thats a bull of a lifetime

the brown bear story was what I was thinking of, thanks for the reminder. well done well done sir, holy smokes that s a huge caribou!!!!

Excellent! I don't see any issue with this whatsoever. I do feel differently about situations where folks are pulled over photographing game and a hunter pulls up, bails out and shoots it, but that's just my opinion. Your situation is completely different, and I have to believe most or all of the onlookers shared in the excitement of this hunt. Well played!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

great bull hoops ive had a simalar trip planned in the future and never really thought about these kinds of situations. thanks for sheding some light on this for me

a few hunters up there have no edicate I have been on a 3 hour stalk and only to have a RV pull up and 5 people pile out and start chasing a bou and totally blow my stalk or be on a stalk and have construction workers see me and the nstat blowing air horns to scare the bou. I have even been drawn back and had other hunters start shooting at my bou before I could get the shot I wanted and totally miss the opportunity to get a shot its a dog eat dog world up there and I thank the responsible hunters up there that don't screw up the hunt for others.

Nice job man. He should easily make P&Y.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast