Thread: Fun Game, Name 3 completely different cartridges that can use the same Powder & Prime

Default Fun Game, Name 3 completely different cartridges that can use the same Powder & Prime

So I got to thinking this week, wouldn't it be nice if I could get my reloading supplies simplified. For Alaska I figure a guys needs at a minimun 3 different rifles:

One for varmints / coyotes / fox / maybe wolf in .22 or 6mm. Also for plinking & practice.
    Second all around for deer, sheep, caribou, & goat, probably something that can spit out a round between 2800 & 3100 fps.
    Third something for bear & moose, but mostly for bear defense.

Is what I'm talking about possible & if so what would your choices be for calibers & a single powder? Let's assume large rifle primers
    What say you mad scientist reloaders? I hope I didn't open a can of worms with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    So I got to thinking this week, wouldn't it be nice if I could get my reloading supplies simplified. For Alaska I figure a guys needs at a minimun 3 different rifles...
    ...FAIL.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

One of the most versatile powders I use is H335, at a glance, it will work for 22-250, 30-06 and 45-70. You should be able to do anything on this planet with those 3. Just at a glance same powder, same primer, plenty of brass and bullets...

I currently have loads using R17 for my .243, .300 WM, and .375 Ruger. (Also for my 7mm-08) That covers my spectrum pretty good...

Well, I'm currently about as complicated as it gets when it comes to different powders and bullets. But my excuse is that I'm trying lb of everything under the sun to come up with the best couple that do what I need....

I run a 223, a 308 and a 338WM as my main rifles. I also have a 22 mag and a 30-06 that are the back up guns....

I've found that 2000MR is phenominal powder for heavy bullets in both 223 and 308. I still have lots of other powders on the shelf, and TAC is also a terrific powder in both calibers, but I think 2000MR will become the go to powder for 90% of what I do. For the 338, I've not played as much. I have about 5 boxes of reloads my dad gave me so I dont have as much reason to monkey with loading, but I'm having good results with A4350, and I have some RL19 and IMR4350 on the shelf as well. For pistol, I think I have settled on 296 for most if not all of my magnum pistol loading...

In the long run, if I can get my powder selection down to 4 or 5 of the best powders, I think that is just fine. Sure there may be one or two powders that will do it all, but why not use the powder BEST suited to what you want to do? You can drive finish nails with a 5 lb maul, but that doesnt mean you shouldnt have a small trim hammer in the lineup.

6mm rem, 338wm, 375 ruger all work well with 4350.

.243 Win, 30-06 and .375 Ruger with RL-17.

.308 Win, .375 H&H and .416 Remington with RL-15.

6.5 Creedmoor, 300RUM, .416 Rigby with H-4350.

Lots of possibilities out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    One of the most versatile powders I use is H335, at a glance, it will work for 22-250, 30-06 and 45-70. You should be able to do anything on this planet with those 3. Just at a glance same powder, same primer, plenty of brass and bullets...
    This would get my vote for the most practical. Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ...FAIL.
    So what would be your minimum rifle battery?

Great replys everyone. Did not know of all these possibilities.

I'm thinking RL 17 or 4831...

.243, .300WSM, .416 Rigby.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

25-06, 338WM, 375 Ruger all stoked up with IMR 4350, have different loads for each but I seem to always go back to the 4350 when I need a load that works

If I had to get by with one powder and three rifles, It would probably be IMR 4350 in the 243, 270 and 358N. It sure wouldn't be much fun though.

add the 7mm Mag and/or 300 mag. change 6mm to 243 and drop the ruger, add H&H YUP IMR 4350 will cover you nicely.
    FWIW, ther's a reliant powder (RL-15 I THINK) that's ALMOST identical to 4350.

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    FWIW, ther's a reliant powder (RL-15 I THINK) that's ALMOST identical to 4350.
    RL-15 is quite a bit faster than 4350's. RL-17 is nearer to the 4350's. Hodgdon claims to have a coating that makes there 4350 more temp stable than others.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
    http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloadin...echart2011.pdf
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...burn_rates.pdf

Charts are all different but they are a good reference when you compare a few against each other. In any case, RL-17 is always nearer to 4350 than RL-15. Not trying to start an argument, just didn't want someone using 4350 data for RL-15, that would be a mess.

No argument at all, there was another discussion about it, I contacted reliant I can't rememebrr the reply, Simply implying that if you were limiting yourself to one powder (as I HAVE) there is another option out there.

Love the burn rate chart, thank you!

I'm using RE17 and Large Rifle Magnum primers in my 7mm08, 30-06, 375Ruger, & 308win and have seen loads for 25-06, 270, 243 using RE17. I also have loads for my 223/5.56, 308win, 30-06 and 375 Ruger using Varget, but the 223 uses small primers.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I shoot moderate loads in a whole bunch modern calibers and standard loads in a bunch of "antique" calibers. The total easily tops 20, and all of them thrive on 3031 with whichever primer was on sale last time I bought in quantity. Gotta love it cuzz most folks don't know 3031 from pancake batter, so it's usually easy to find when "better" powders are going at scalper prices.

Anyone using IMR 4064. This is what IMR Powder has to say about it,

"The most versatile propellant in the IMR spectrum. 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 220 Swift, 6mm Remington, 243 Winchester Super Short Magnum, 308 Winchester, 338 Winchester Magnum and the list goes on and on. Versatility with uniformity and accuracy."

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    Anyone using IMR 4064.
    I use it a bunch, but for a little stiffer loads than I'm usually after with 3031. Can't push vels as high as some newer powders for sure, but with medium weight bullets in non-mag cases 4064 will head you toward factory vels in a surprising number of calibers.